ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox input shaft seal

during new year i managed to break the damn clio!!

oil pissing out from inside the bell housing:

20121230_105943.jpg

so, 1 of these:

20130104_124109.jpg

Enlist the help of superstar Al:

20130105_144452.jpg

and its all tickedy boo!!!

considering the amount of oil coming out initial thoughts were a stripped tooth of the diff comng thru the bellhousing, but after a quick poke around nothing major could be seen (i still need to give it a good JIZER session and inspection) so it might well be an input shaft seal???

gearbox.jpg

i can see that the sleeve the release bearing runs on can easily be unbolted (item #2), but does the seal simply press in behind this?? or does the box need to be split and the seal fitted from the inside???

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
this happened on my phase 1. i simply had the sleeve replaced and the seal that sits behind it. im no expert but i think the later boxes are different in that they have to be stripped.

Ahhhh that would explain the massive clutch slip if the oil is travelling in that tube then dumping into the cover assembly..

Will have a good poke around and see what i can see.. Would be good if the seal is an easy replacement..

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Ahhhh that would explain the massive clutch slip if the oil is travelling in that tube then dumping into the cover assembly..

Will have a good poke around and see what i can see.. Would be good if the seal is an easy replacement..
Is there a replacement seal for the input shaft?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is there a replacement seal for the input shaft?
Yes but it depends on what gearbox you've got. If it's a jc5 089 box, they have a seal within the guide tube for the release bearing. If it's a early jc5 129 it's the same as above, but if it's a later 129 or a jc5 130, then the seal is combined with a bearing and you'll need to strip the box to replace it.
The way you can tell the difference between a early 129 and a later, is to unbolt the guide tube. If you can remove the guide tube with no issue, you've got a later 129.

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Thank you very much for the info! I unbolted the guide tube but I couldn't remove it with hand force. It could be rotated slightly with the help of a screwdriver though. Does this give any hint whether I've got the early or late 129? The car btw, is a 2001 172 ph2.

I had some damp areas which colored red in the attached image (not my gearbox in the photo though). Do they indicate a common source for an oil leak? The leak cannot have been huge but the areas were a bit damp.

IMG_0539.jpg