ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First car insurance please help

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Hi all I am new to the forum,

I recently brought a renault clio 2003 1.2 16v and the insurance quotes I have being getting are around 3000 pounds cheapest, and the highest being around 8000 pounds, does anybody out there have any idea how to get this price reduced as i would be gutted to sell the car as I love it?

album.php
album.php

I am the only named driver at 3000 pounds, many of my friends are fronting their insurance to enable them to drive, but i was wondering if their were any better options out there?

Many thanks :)

Giulietta 940
There is an insurance sub-section on this forum.

But as many people will tell you...

• Put your parents on your insurance
  • Don't do any mods
  • Limit your mileage
  • Increase your excess
  • Shop around...
Admiral/Bell/Elephant seem to be the cheapest atm.

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Thank you for the reply I did not realise that sorry.

Ohh have not tried bell yet thanks a lot thanks for the advice :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
If you own car, put yourself as the main driver and policy holder. Probably be the same cost and you'll (hopefully) get a no claims bonus next year.

Malachi4's got the most of it covered there.

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Yeah hopefully i get the ncb as l i want to save up for the sports renault in a few years, some of the cars on this site are amazing a lot of time and money goes into them.

What is it with youngsters these days? Why have you bought a car, then looked at how much it will cost to insure it?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I knew it was going to be a lot but i was just asking for tips on how to get it down a little.

lie...alot. :D

Best tip i'd give you is to call some places up rather than going straight off online prices, another tip is to have your parents on the policy (Although im not 100% how legel/legit this is)

Trophy #387
What is it with youngsters these days? Why have you bought a car, then looked at how much it will cost to insure it?

That's not at all fair mate... I bought my clio 3 months ago before I had passed my test, however I did quotes as if I had a full license and received figures of around £2500... I recently passed my test and went to sort the insurance and the quotes I got were £3000+.

I am exactly the same as you mate, 1.2L 16v Clio and my insurance is £3300 third party, my own policy, mods declared with Admiral.... You'll be able to get around £3000 probably or if you front (which is of course not entirely legal ;)) £1500 from Co-op / DirectLine.

Good luck, you'll need it :(

Suzuki Jimny
Listen to that guy ^

Front, crash your car with an invalid policy then report back how much the bum seks in jail hurts.

slow 172 rep
Adrian flux do a young drivers policy, 3rd party fire and theft. they were like £800 cheaper then any of my quote i got last year after passing my test. but u cant mod it or do anything to your car :(

Same as below BEFORE i bought my clio i was getting quotes for full licesene for around 2400£ passed my test add 1000£ to that.

That's not at all fair mate... I bought my clio 3 months ago before I had passed my test, however I did quotes as if I had a full license and received figures of around £2500... I recently passed my test and went to sort the insurance and the quotes I got were £3000+.

Renault clio 1.2 16v
haha cheers for the replies, i know its stupid why does passing your test add like a 1000 onto the price :S

I have done pass plus on top of my normal test and that seemed pretty pointless too with the quotes im getting.

Jap Box
haha cheers for the replies, i know its stupid why does passing your test add like a 1000 onto the price :S

I have done pass plus on top of my normal test and that seemed pretty pointless too with the quotes im getting.

Same happened with me here.

Im paying £1800 fully comp with Aviva pass plus. Thats breakdown cover, legal, personal belongings etc etc.

I went through BrokerKing, give them a ring (DONT DO THE ONLINE QUOTE) then ask about the pass plus special with Aviva as im not sure if it is still going. Me and a ew mates are on there and theyve all been below £2000

It adds to the price because you can drive on your own instead of with a supervising driver.
Pass plus is a waste of money IMO hardly saves anything and the company's that discount it are normally the most expensive.

It adds to the price because you can drive on your own instead of with a supervising driver.
Pass plus is a waste of money IMO hardly saves anything and the company's that discount it are normally the most expensive.

Pass Plus cost me £60 to do (i got £60 reimbursed from the Council), and i saved over £350 (from DirectLine)!

i'd say it's a big saving, it depends where you go to insure your car, some insurance companies like it some dont care!

I am exactly the same as you mate, 1.2L 16v Clio and my insurance is £3300 third party, my own policy, mods declared with Admiral.... You'll be able to get around £3000 probably or if you front (which is of course not entirely legal ;)) £1500 from Co-op / DirectLine.

Good luck, you'll need it :(

You question the price and talk about how it's too much, then mention you have mods? When did schools stop teaching common sense?

Same as below BEFORE i bought my clio i was getting quotes for full licesene for around 2400£ passed my test add 1000£ to that.

Because you are no longer in the car with L Plates on and being supervised by an adult with at least 3 or 5 years driving experience, and therefore pose a greater risk.

If you're starting to pay upwards of £3k for insurance, I would start looking at a cheaper car in a lower insurance bracket...

Fabia VRS
admiral multi car im on atm, 1500 annual.

Tbh the cheapest you will probs find will be about 2k

just how it is atm :/

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hate to say it but fronting FTW, it saved me roughly £4k when I was younger. My insurance was £300 at 18 lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cheeky git *drRollo*

mine aint that bad with mods, 2800 with pass plus and one years no clam transferred of my scooter.
make alot of phone calls and bring it down.

car insurance for us young drives is going to be sky high compared to the olders, due to the crash rates, boy F***ing racers causing trouble, the list goes on........

Think yourself lucky, I was paying £470 a month with Quinn Insurance which were my cheapeast (Full Comp).
I've changed it to TPTF and its £330.

I even tried I-Kube where they put a tracker in and they was quoting £550 a month full comp.
WTF!

Mercury Clio 182
I was with Direct Line on my first car, a Mk1 Clio 1.2 5 years ago. It cost me £1400 third part fire and theft. I put my parents on as names drivers which bought the price down a lot. But price mainly depends on where you live unfortunately.

Recently they have been cracking down on 'fronting' where your parent is the policy holder and you are a named driver, but actually you are the main driver. Insurance companies are not paying out on any policies they feel have been done like this. At the end of the day, if an insurance company can find a way of getting out of paying out they will. My advice is, keep the car standard and drive sensibly, get some NCB and then after a couple of years start buying bigger and better.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Recently they have been cracking down on 'fronting' where your parent is the policy holder and you are a named driver, but actually you are the main driver.

Whereas an intelligent person (like myself), would simply ask my parents to start a new policy, using their no-claims, then put ME as the main driver, with them as 2nd/3rd drivers.

Not fronting then.

Paying over £1000 for insurance on anything is absolutely mental !!

For my first year of driving I was on my mothers policy but the documents stated she was an occasional driver and I was the main driver. I paid £650 Fully Comp on a 1.2 8v
Second year I moved onto my own policy on the same car but by this time I had 3 points, but I still only paid £900 Fully Comp.
This year, with a years no claims on a 1.2 16v I am only paying £700