ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Renault Clio 172
That looks really good. As long as I've no killed my car by then, I'd love to join a gang of Clio's.

52 minutes of racing? Cor. Poor car lol
It was 20 minutes practice, and then 2 30 minute race stints :) my first stint was shortened by the safety car.
Looks so much fun. Shame about the 4th gear issues.

That Porshce Boxter race car getting in your way a bit towards the end.

Love the way there's radicals and the likes scooting about all over the place too.
Yeah it was only the first stint that was affected with the gearbox and then we fixed the mount so not too bad!

Yes I thought defending a bit too aggressively but was quite good fun! Its tricky to battle like that and also keep an eye on the pit wall, and for the stupidly quick stuff coming through
That looks really good. As long as I've no killed my car by then, I'd love to join a gang of Clio's.
Great stuff Andrew :)

Clio 182
Was at Silverstone on Sunday...Looks awesome! Little machine putting some of the bigger boys through their paces!!

Nice write up, and good effort getting the engine swapped before hand!

I would be up for this next year. Looks like good fun and it would be nice to be part of a team as well.

Doh!

It had a good innings and it was showing signs of been tired!
image_zps15d15ae9.jpg

I thought it was going to set on fire but thankfully it didn't.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
😧 Not good at all.

Anything salvageable?
Depends where the pistons finished up after the Elvis Presley conrod made a bid for freedom and how much oil starvation the rest of its seen.
Potential for the head and cams to be safe, maybe a bent valve or 16 and the pistons could be reused, but that is purely based on where it was in the cycle when the conrod left the building. I'd hazard a guess they're like a prostitute though tbh. Well fucked.

Or it could all be fit for the scrap bin.

Just had a look at the video and data from the engine going bang and there was nothing to suggest a problem other than when I started to hear a clicking and I slowed down the oil temp gained temperature very quickly until it went bang. There was no oil pressure drop, no oil starvation in the session (I wondered if it had lost pressure through Corum) so it seems just a bearing gone which has caused big heat and then rod out of the block.

Not good to see James 😧
Did a rod bolt come out ? What was this the standard rod, high comp engine ?
No it just span the centre main it seems which then span the big end on cyl 2 and the heat etc snapped the rod bolt. Yes this was std 140K mile old rods with Supertech pistons
😧 Not good at all.

Anything salvageable?
As Mark says but doubt it unfortunately, unlike my last engine that went bang at Spa this was quite a drawn out affair so guess its done the head/cams etc but will only know for sure when I take the engine apart :)

As I said on Fb mate. Not nice to see, gutted for you :-(

Hopefully some of the parts will be salvageable. Keep us updated in here when you find out more after stripping it down.

For Sale:

Selling a few bits to make way for some new bits over winter so thought i’d put them on here before doing a proper advert at the weekend!

First up is the Catcams Solid lifter, finger follower cam kit. This includes all the valve springs, cams, solid lifters, rockers etc. RRP is nearly £4000 including the vat and this kit is brand new unused for £2500 delivered.

Second up is the Gripper, straight cut dogbox. This was the single most useful addition to my car it transforms the way the car performs and gives a really nice set of ratios. I always said I could never go back to stock ratios after driving this box. The gearbox uses standard driveshafts, clutch etc so just is simply bolt in and go. It was built into a JC5 129 casing so has the speedo drive too. Since gripper have modified the crown wheel and pinion at the beginning of the year it has been absolutely faultless. It’s been well looked after with gear oil change after each use. Gear ratios are designed well with:
1st gear pulling 55mph
2nd 75mph
3rd 95mph
4th 115mph
5th 133mph

Not managed to hit the redline in 5th yet including some tracks with big long straights such as Silverstone GP, Spa etc its geared perfectly.

Again RRP from gripper including VAT is best part of 5K before you supply them a donor box i’m looking for £3750 delivered only selling to make way for sequential gearbox for future plans :)

Thanks
James

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Refresh my memory on the cat cams kit james, the cams are specific to the lifter kit arent they? Do you know the specs, duration/lift etc? PM if you want,need to speak to you about those td pro races anyway.
Russ

Does the box include a gripper diff too?

Must resist...
No need to resist :)

Yes it has a gripper plated diff in the box with straight cut final drive :)

Gears gifts can be made with or without the clutch which saves a good amount of time but the main advantage is the gear ratios and also the fact you loose the terrible syncro's and have a sturdy proper motorsport box :)

195IB/FT :) it's effectively the same as a JC5 the weak point going more than that is the casing which is fundamentally the same with this box. I think the gears themselves will be fine at turbo level as we talked about using it for mine but the reason for me going turbo was because of the sequential.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
And so the turbo powered sequential gearbox race Clio build begins!

Kind of wishing I hadn't blown money on other things and it was the other side of Christmas so I could take the box off you. Ah well I'm sure it'll go to someone who will use it more than me anyway!

Forgive my ignorance. But what's actually happened there? Obviously the rod wanted to make a break for freedom, but what do you think caused it / what failed first?

Looks bloody messy!

Garage looks messy I'd never leave it in that state :tongueclosed:
At least Dan stayed and helped clean up :p
Forgive my ignorance. But what's actually happened there? Obviously the rod wanted to make a break for freedom, but what do you think caused it / what failed first?

Looks bloody messy!
Thankfully for once it's pretty clear,

The centre main bearing has spun, this then blocks the hole for the oil feed to the crank and the rod on number 2 gets starved of oil and overheats (goes blue) and throws the rod when it's get to a certain temperature which is why the ARP's are blue and sheared.

All the data backs this up with a sudden increase in oil temp as it was trying to quench the overheating bearing.

No obvious sign of a pressure drop in the session to start the bearing spinning but it's a very common failure.

Solution is to tag the main bearing but if the bearing wants to still turn with enough force it will.
Proper job indeedy. Answers the 'salvage' question though...😂
Head and cams have survived surprisingly :)

Bloody Renault engines.
Thanks for sharing James. Sorry again for the bad luck.

How quickly does the oil temp rise before it's too late? Like would you have any chance of noticing it and then turning it off. Or is it literally a matter of seconds and bang.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Bloody Renault engines.
Thanks for sharing James. Sorry again for the bad luck.

How quickly does the oil temp rise before it's too late? Like would you have any chance of noticing it and then turning it off. Or is it literally a matter of seconds and bang.
By the time the oil temp has started to rise it's game over mate as the bearing has already spun and destroyed the crank and rod bearings closely followed by blueing the conrods.