ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhausts in the North West

Polo GTi

I have just started noticing a strange rumbling sound from the middle section of my exhaust.

Previously I had thought the whole system was stainless, but it turns out its just the back box.

Im in a dilemma at the moment, should I go with a standard exhaust say from kwik fit etc or spend the extra cash and get a stainless middle section. I have been quoted £135 by Top Gear in Burnley for a stainless middle bit.

Does anyone know what I would be likely to pay for the middle section at a place like kwik fit, smileys, national etc?

Any opinions gladly recieved.

Polo GTi

Cool, the bloke at Top Gear said he can do it on the 24th, so Im thinking its gonna get done.....might be more initially but should last a hell of lot longer than a standard exhaust.

some lad selling full brand new mongoose exhausts for a willy delivered for 265 in the for sale section. had one of these on my old valver, real good systems and thats a real good price. iotherwise the Top Gear quote is also v good. mongoose price is FULL system though

Polo GTi

Just spoke to Top Gear again, and described the deep rumbling sound coming from the box near the front of the car, he said it could possibly be the cat? Gonna be £170 just for the cat.

Would a whole new system come with a cat do you think?

Two things I have noticed from the car since I bought it a few weeks ago, there is a definate drop in low end grunt doesnt seem to pull as well, and also when I bought the car the exhaust had a lovely deepish rally sl*g sound to it, now it doesnt seem at all beefy, quite thin actually. At first I put this down to getting used to the peformace over my old Valver, and the sound.

But after looking under the car yesterday there definatly is something wrong with the middle section of the exhaust, it isnt blowing just rumbling.

Could the faulty middle section effect performance and sound of the exhaust? Sorry if this is a stupid question, im not the most qualified of blokes regarding cars.

Rob

williams and trophy

fukkin ell this is fukkin de ja vu for me lol

about 2 months after id bought mine the cat started rattlin, power dropped n car sounded like a scooter above 3k revs lol.............hated evry minute of it lol

went down to abp an got meself a devil de-cat pipe......mde a hell of a lot of difrence.....soon after tho the baffles got blown out of the standard centre silencer........so trip to top gear in burnley was on the cards again.....£250 changed hands and i was left with a car that sounds sweet wen u boot it.....i hav to take other ppls opinions of this lol, but also spits flames too hehe....

get to top gear mate but if they do u a de-cat pipe make sure they make it so u can fit a cat for the mot.there is 1 doin the rounds of about 4 ppl at mo lol

Polo GTi

When I first got the car I was giving it hell for leather everywhere, country roads at night sounded like it was a real beast of a car, but as I say it has kind of tailed off, just thought it was my imagination.

Not sure if I wanna go with a de-cat does it really make that much difference? I dont know if I can be assed with the hassle come MOT time in 12 months, although I might change my mind, if its easy enough for someone to shove back on.

hmm decisions....

Ill see what Top Gear say at lunch.

williams and trophy

well ....with de-cat n powerflow zorst with k&n panel filter mine shaved nearly a second off the 1/4 mile time of it in bog standard trim with cat

with the de-cat u seem to lose a little low down but gain quite a bit high up the rev range.........where it spends most of its time......so yeah they make a lot of difrence lol

Polo GTi

Sounds good, but what do the old bill think of de-cats? Presumably it will increase exhaust noise and make them more likely to stop me. Are they illegal or is it just to do with emissions on tne MOT.

Polo GTi

Hmmm.....I might be getting tempted, if only for the saving of 170sheets, just have to save up to get a cat in time for next MOT.

Will let you know afer a visit to Top Gear ;)

Polo GTi

Just got back from Top Gear, it appears my Cat if funked. They didnt seem to keen on doing a de-cat, they said they would but wouldnt recommend it, so it would be £170 for a cat fitted.

On the bright side though they said my exhaust is fully stainless, so I am just in need of a cat.

Does anyone know if £170 is extortionate for a cat? Seems resonable compared to Nationals £271

Skoda Fabia vRS

sounds about right........

shame it isnt the same as a 1.4RT one......cos ive got one in the shed

williams and trophy

personally if i was u

id go get a de-cat pipe from wherever......mine was £60 from abp

fuk the police, they never stop me (hehe cos they cant catch me , they only have astras here)

so ....get a de-cat on , an im sure ul be able to borrow a cat for mot time, from someone on here...........i have 1 for this reason only lol the cat gets fitted for about 30 mins per year

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 11 March 2004

shame it isnt the same as a 1.4RT one......cos ive got one in the shed
Oh really... ;)

Is it in good nick?!

What money you wanting?!

Our lasss RT might be needing an exhaust soon.

Polo GTi

What Im thinking of doing is getting cat sorted on Mon and just getting a decat, from somehwere else, and having a go fitting it myself, I believe its no too hard and I have access to a ramp.

At least when MOT comes I have a Cat to pas MOT.

I think that will be my plan.

williams and trophy

borrow the pooled one mate save urself 170 n go get a panel filter n de-cat

u wont regret it......id give u a ride in mine but still waitin on the last few parts to finish off at the mo. so cant lol

will be runnin this weekend tho

de-cat/cat replacin piece of piss mate ....4 bolts 10 mins tops on a ramp