ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhausted!!!!!!!!!!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
My 2001 172 full fat started sounding a bit noisy on Sunday... Found the rear silencer had dropped; it's mounting had come away from the silencer. So being a Sunday night and needing the car for work I tied it up using rope. (Car's already booked in for service on friday - with fingers crossed I hoped she'd soldier on)

First thing this morning on the motorway the car gets noisy, when I get near work I get out of my car, rope in hand to tie up the silencer again....

What silencer? It's gone forever, lying at the side of the M58 presumably!!!!!!

Now this is where it gets interesting. St Helens, where I work, their Renault Dealer want £202, effin stealers and can't gaurantee when they can do it... Kwik-Fit want £208!!!! And can't do it til tomorrow.... More than a main dealer!

Why so expensive? Surely it's just a larger bore silencer....?

So I rang a very MAX POWER place called Urban Racing,.. in Warrington, who said they could make a stainless box and fit it for £150...

After a brief stay at their premises (only 3 effin hours) the car has a full exhaust! The tail pipe is even hidden, like it should be. Yippee!

Anyone know why the silencers cost so much?

Anyone know of a place that stocks pattern parts for the 172 (cos I couldn't find one)?

Anyone know why coffee from coffee-makers in garages tastes SO bad?

John

Lionel Richie
answer = Renault

standard exhausts from Renault are crap

pattern parts from s**t fit are crapper

best off going for a stainless steel system with a lifetime warranty!! cheaper too

Audi S3 225
I was in the same situation a few months back, mine started getting gradually louder everyday till one day it suddenly sounded like a rally car, I looked under the car and the back box wasn’t connected to the middle pipe. It had snapped and was being held on by the exhaust mount.

As I was desperate I bought a second hand K-tec system from a member on here, it was wicked at first but I’ve had enough of the attention it gets me and the noise, especially on the motorways!

I’m currently looking for an original Clio sport exhaust system, I went to Renault and the whole system costs 350 quid, kwik fit had trouble with the suppliers but still quoted me 550 quid!!!!!

Guess ill do what you have done and get one made up at powerflow or magnex etc, how much did you pay for the full system, and is it quiet like the original I only want sound from the engine!

Thanks

Allan

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
You can usually find the odd original CS exhaust on ebay, but for around £350 you can get a custom made stainless cat-back system with it as quiet or loud as you want it.

Most people on here recommend Prospeed (Cardiff) or Hayward & Scott (Essex?). They'll always be better than off the shelf Magnex etc.

Audi S3 225
Does any1 know if i was to get an after market quiet system, will it affect performance? like will it make it slower? or as its after market will it still have a few extra bhp?

Oh, and normally how much is a full cat back system?? i might try pro speed as theres 1 real close, Hayward & Scott will be so expensive.
Thanks

Allan

Skoda Fabia vRS
i work and live in St Helens mate, where do you work ?

depending on the time i might have been able to get you one, i work at the Motor World on Higher Parr St, Fingerpost...........near the Chipmunk chippy

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
The Bear said:
You can usually find the odd original CS exhaust on ebay, but for around £350 you can get a custom made stainless cat-back system with it as quiet or loud as you want it.

Most people on here recommend Prospeed (Cardiff) or Hayward & Scott (Essex?). They'll always be better than off the shelf Magnex etc.

If you want a standard system (172 cup) i have one in the garage that has done 3k miles but its has been cut as it was the origional 1 piece system.
PM if you want it..