ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine using oil and smoking - replacement/rebuild?

Right...

I picked a phase 2 172 up ready for the scrap yard. Replaced pretty much everything there is to replace except the engine internal and gearbox (was only 78k on clock). I did have the dephaser, cambelt kit, aux, alternator & battery done for the engine. It unfortunately leaves some nice blue smoke and uses oil past 5000rpm. This makes it completely unusable for track use (which is why I purchased it).

The car has sat very unhappily on the drive all this year unused as I've been paying for a Wedding this December (and was major service time for the Focus RS)... I have now got sign off from my fiancee (wife to be) to get what ever I need done to the Clio to make it track worthy. Seats, Harnesses, Roll Cage etc are all ordered but they are all completely pointless if the engine won't last 2 laps.

So... my question to all of you.

1. Do I find a replacement phase 2 172 engine and drop that in? Can anyone offer help with this as I wouldn't be able to do this myself... a trader/mechanic?

2. Do I take my current car with engine to have it completely rebuilt? This may be the more expensive option but I would engine up with an engine from day 1 - the risk is if my current engine needs new internals or it's completely f**ked.

I desperately need help from people who now what they are talking about.

Cheers

172 cup, Impreza P1
If you're not doing the swap yourself, either option is not going to be cheap. Built engine fitted could be £1500 and just the swap with a replacement engine will be around £1k at best. The new engine will need belts done again as well but you have the parts already.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I did an engine swap in mine last winter for exactly the same reasons. It may be worth having a look through my project thread as there are detailed photos in there as to what is needed when doing a full engine swap. As said above, it will be costly if you aren't able to do the majority of the work yourself. I was lucky in two ways, in that through friends on here I had loads of help and support in doing the mechanical work, and I also sourced a mechanically strong old engine that could be trusted for little money.

I'd try to find a decent second hand engine and get it compression tested and leak down before you buy / do the swap. I think @Llewellyn had one up for sale recently. Then get a trader to do it, or try it yourself. (If you have zero mechanical ability or tools, the second route may be tougher, but we all have to start somewhere....)

The last thing I'd add, is whilst the engine is out, I'd get things like the steering rack bushes done. It is easier, and they are probably coming up for renewal anyway. Check the other suspension bits and bobs aswell. Basically, with the engine out, its a good time to do other jobs if they look like they are due.

Clio 172
I'd set aside two - three days to do the engine swap. Other people may say it'll be quicker than that but it took me two days with a ramp.

It's not too bad, but you have aircon you'll need to get that de-gassed first as it's easier to remove the rad and condenser rather than getting all fiddly squeezing your hands into places.

Best way to think about it is - take an imaginary stick and move it around the block. If you can move it freely with nothing stopping it then you've done pretty much everything. Oh and take photos - it'll remind you where things go such as I disconnected the engine harness at the fuse box so I took photos of that to remind me where the harness plugged back in.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'd set aside two - three days to do the engine swap. Other people may say it'll be quicker than that but it took me two days with a ramp.

It's not too bad, but you have aircon you'll need to get that de-gassed first as it's easier to remove the rad and condenser rather than getting all fiddly squeezing your hands into places.

Best way to think about it is - take an imaginary stick and move it around the block. If you can move it freely with nothing stopping it then you've done pretty much everything. Oh and take photos - it'll remind you where things go such as I disconnected the engine harness at the fuse box so I took photos of that to remind me where the harness plugged back in.

I agree, better to take your time. OP - this is where my 'consider the wider bits' comment came in. For example, if it is a track car, I'd take the aircon out in its entirety, but it means you'll need to go to a Cup alternator setup, which will need to be sourced.

Your comments so far are bang on guys.

I set aside as less over 1k as possible for an engine overhaul. A quote of around 1.2k has been given to me from a local engineering firm... I just don't want to rebuild an engine that is ultimately knackered.

I can get friends over to help replace an engine but I don't have a ramp or hoist so it would be extremely difficult to actually remove it... that is my main issue. Else i'd do it myself.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Your comments so far are bang on guys.

I set aside as less over 1k as possible for an engine overhaul. A quote of around 1.2k has been given to me from a local engineering firm... I just don't want to rebuild an engine that is ultimately knackered.

I can get friends over to help replace an engine but I don't have a ramp or hoist so it would be extremely difficult to actually remove it... that is my main issue. Else i'd do it myself.

I don't have a ramp. Engine crane is £120 from SGS engineering if that helps. :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
What would I do with it after lol. Aircon is already de-gassed due to a leak in the system when I went to have it re-done. Didn't get it taxed on the road to actually sort it. A good thing in the long run!

Keep it for when it breaks next time. It's french :cry:

Joking aside, you could sell it on here. But, only you know how comfortable you are doing stuff / have the time / space etc. The less hassle option is get a trader to do it, but it's also the most costly.

Renparts do replacement engines. Around £500 and they have yours off you in replacement. Are these guys good? Anyone know anything about them?

Is there anyone in the midlands area that would want to swap an engine for a fixed fee if this was a viable option?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Renparts do replacement engines. Around £500 and they have yours off you in replacement. Are these guys good? Anyone know anything about them?

Is there anyone in the midlands area that would want to swap an engine for a fixed fee if this was a viable option?

Is that price for just a used engine or new belts as well?

I'm sure any of the traders on here would do the swap at a reasonable price.

Clio 172 cup
The swap isn't too bad. I did my first one last year and didn't need ramps. You'd be ok with a set of axle stands and a hoist. There's nothing technical about it. Just label everything as it comes off and take plenty of photos. There's also a few good guides on here.