ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach prolines / H&R coilovers

a black one
Hi guys.

I know there are lots of threads on this but I just can't seem to find the exact info I'm looking for...

1) I want to stiffen up the handling on my 182 (no cup packs) without really lowering. As anybody got a standard 182 with prolines? And if so how much does it actually lower and is the handling any different?

2) I'm also considering H&R coilovers but not sure if you can get them to fit direct on to a standard 182 without some modifications?

Answers and advice most appreciated.

Cheers guys & girls.
;)

Mk7 Golf, Daytona600
ive just gone from cup packed 182 to prolines.
I've found them much better round the bends and its hasn't lowered my car too much i have to worry about speedbumps.

i know i had cup packs but hope it helps, cant comment on coilovers

a black one
ive just gone from cup packed 182 to prolines.
I've found them much better round the bends and its hasn't lowered my car too much i have to worry about speedbumps.

i know i had cup packs but hope it helps, cant comment on coilovers

Cheers mate that is helpful actually. The cup is not actually too much lower than the non cup anyway I don't think. It is useful to know that it has helped with handling.

PH1 iceburg
I had apex springs on my 172 for about a year. Good looks but not so good handling. I now have coilovers and i love it. You wont need modifications unless you go silly low (like me!!!). If they are professionally set up it will be the best mod you will get. It all depends on your budget, H&R are very highly rated on here.

Gal

A Clee O
Got Prolines on my 172 and didn't notice any difference whatsoever but then my car was low to start with I think.

Handles better round corners can proper throw the car about.

a black one
Has amy of you guys had to adjust Camber with prolines on? And can they just be a straight swap with the original springs?

PH1 iceburg
Springs are a straight swap.

To adjust camber you will need camber correcting bolts. I had a set of eibach ones around £25 i think. K-tec sell them.

a black one
Springs are a straight swap.

To adjust camber you will need camber correcting bolts. I had a set of eibach ones around £25 i think. K-tec sell them.

Cheers mate. Does this mean that I will definitely need to alter the camber after fitting them?

Gal

A Clee O
Camber is fine on mine. Its a very small drop if anything to be honest with you think its quoted as 15mm.

a black one
Cheers guys. Very helpful. Think I'm going to go prolines as quick and relatively cheap mod until I have enough money to get the H&R's.

a black one
I had apex springs on my 172 for about a year. Good looks but not so good handling. I now have coilovers and i love it. You wont need modifications unless you go silly low (like me!!!). If they are professionally set up it will be the best mod you will get. It all depends on your budget, H&R are very highly rated on here.

Don't you have to change the dampers if you want to fit coilovers to a non-cupped 182?:S

Da

Less
A coilover kit is everything, dampers, springs, platforms etc etc.

I have my set of H&R's forsale but they are for a cup packed 182.

a black one
A coilover kit is everything, dampers, springs, platforms etc etc.

I have my set of H&R's forsale but they are for a cup packed 182.

Sorry, yeah I miss wrote my last question. I realise coilovers replace normal dampers and springs. What I really meant was, do H&R coilovers actually fit the standard 182 as I believe they have different damper fittings (bolt spacing or something)?

How much are you asking for your coilovers? Tbh not sure I can afford them just yet.

Cheers

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, yeah I miss wrote my last question. I realise coilovers replace normal dampers and springs. What I really meant was, do H&R coilovers actually fit the standard 182 as I believe they have different damper fittings (bolt spacing or something)?

How much are you asking for your coilovers? Tbh not sure I can afford them just yet.

Cheers

Yes but iirc the H&R's that fit a 172, can also fit a non-cup packed 182.

If you have the cup-pack, then you will have to get the H&R's made to fit them, something to do with different hubs iirc.

Golf GTD Mk7
Yes but iirc the H&R's that fit a 172, can also fit a non-cup packed 182.

If you have the cup-pack, then you will have to get the H&R's made to fit them, something to do with different hubs iirc.

Yeah thats correct. cup pack 182 have different hubs, so the 172 ones wouldn't fit, but would fit the standard 182.

a black one
Question: is it possible to change the hubs of a standard 182 to the same ones fitted on the cup packed 182? And would this make it ride like the cup version?

Da

Less
Yes it's a very easy job. I doubt changing the hubs would make any difference to the ride/handling though as on the Cup'd cars the hubs are coupled with a Cup chassis setup.
My coilovers are forsale for around £500.

a black one
Da - by the sounds of things it's the coilovers that fit the 172 that I will need for mine. Thanks anyway.