ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EBC Yellowstuf pads

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've run a couple of sets of DS2500, never been that impressed by them. Around Bedford they wilted miserably for me.

Are you sure there isnt something else up with your brakes? Sticky piston perhaps?
Or do you either have loads of power or corner very slowly? (to mean you need to brake more I mean)

As Ive done bedford on ds2500 in our 172 and they never got anywhere near to fading, they just pull up straight and hard time and time again with no problems at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
they work, but they feel crap to use and inspire no confidence IMO. I know lots of people with the same opinion

Nick is spot on, they're just "the in thing" that everyone uses. Mintex 1155 piss on them, and Brembo sports are designed to be better and still legal for road use

I quite like M1155 on track but they are a bit on the noisey side for a day to day car. Good value though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well they're a track pad, so they're not compromised. You can always mod them to fit in with the stock shims I guess. 1144's come with a stick on anti-squeel backing (or they used to, not fitted any in over a year) but they're a road pad. 1166's are in a different league for noise, but they stop you like a brick wall

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
well they're a track pad, so they're not compromised. You can always mod them to fit in with the stock shims I guess. 1144's come with a stick on anti-squeel backing (or they used to, not fitted any in over a year) but they're a road pad. 1166's are in a different league for noise, but they stop you like a brick wall

If anything the m1155 for most cars are intended more as a rally pad than a track pad TBH, very popular with the group n boys, they are quite well mannered on the road in terms of how they brake, just the noise is a bit annoying.

Yeah the 1166 are more on a par with ds3000, horrible horrible noises from them!

172, Tiguan
I think we did 3 laps in a row at the Ring on DS2500's and by Aremberg on the third lap they weren't stopping the car anymore. That was the last time I ever contemplated having them in a Clio. Disks were Brembo HC's that were new as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think we did 3 laps in a row at the Ring on DS2500's and by Aremberg on the third lap they weren't stopping the car anymore. That was the last time I ever contemplated having them in a Clio. Disks were Brembo HC's that were new as well.

The ring is really heavy on brakes, especially if you havent done it much before (ie end up slowing down in places that you wouldnt with practice) but I have found ds2500's ok there, although havent ever done 3 straight laps like that, I always pull off and check the car over between laps and let it cool down a bit etc.
For that sort of use you were doing there I would be going for a track pad not a fast road one TBH

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

LOL, we made it to 3 laps in a 200sx with £18 unipart pads before it gave up, but at that point it GAVE UP.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, we made it to 3 laps in a 200sx with £18 unipart pads before it gave up, but at that point it GAVE UP.

Standard pads at the ring is a massive fail!

First time we went theer about 8 years ago I was driving my mates cossie and got horrific fade on the first lap, when I asked him why he didnt buy the 1155 pads I told him to he said he had done but they were still in the boot as he didnt know how to fit them, doh!
Ended up taking me about 3 hours to do there by the time I had borrowed enough tools by begging around the ring carpark as the bloody pistons were sticking so I had to free it all off etc too, such a waste of half a TF day.
Moral of the story, prepare properly before you go, lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Well I'm now the proud owner of yellowstuff pads, will be putting them on tomo. Guess I will have to bed them in?

172 Race Car
The guy we deal with at EBC says you need to get them minging hot and then cool down to bed in. I assume you have new discs going on at the same time?

172 Sport
I will never run an EBC product ever again, having had several sets of EBC pads explode, crack, sheer right off from just fast road driving.

The final nail in the coffin was when EBC themselves told S3 owners to remove the pads from their vehicles due to safety reasons. At the time my girlfriend had an A3 with Ultimax in them...They went in the bin after 3000 miles.

Hawk Performance pads are pretty good, if any of you have used them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I think they have changed the compound a few times to rectify certain problems. And yeah jay they are going on New brembo hc discs.

182cup & 172 racecar
Lol at this thread now.

3 pints of beer and I would be sick as a dog. somebody else can drink 10 or more.

Some like a hot curry and others just like a spicy one.

Just try them and make up your own mind.

172 Sport
I think they have changed the compound a few times to rectify certain problems. And yeah jay they are going on New brembo hc discs.

I hope so, if they are amazing feel free to let us all know. I would love a more affordable option!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I hope so, if they are amazing feel free to let us all know. I would love a more affordable option!

Will do mate. Proper test would be at Anglesey on the 7rh of May. Will update in the next couple of days.

2.2 bar shed.
I've had red stuffs fall apart on me. Gaz had some Yellowstuff pads on his ZR and they only lasted 6k miles or so?

172 Cup
Pads are like women. Everyone has a different opinion on them and, not only that, they'll give the 'user' a different experience depending on how they're treated!!

I've yet to buy track pads for my newly acquired Clio but I know they won't be DS2500 as I had a bad experience with them in the past. I've always used Performance Friction race compounds in previous track cars and will be seeing if they make pads in the Clio fitment.

172 Cup
Thanks Tony. I'd actually be after 06 but since they do 97, I guess they do all their compounds for the Clio.

172, Tiguan
The ring is really heavy on brakes, especially if you havent done it much before (ie end up slowing down in places that you wouldnt with practice) but I have found ds2500's ok there, although havent ever done 3 straight laps like that, I always pull off and check the car over between laps and let it cool down a bit etc.
For that sort of use you were doing there I would be going for a track pad not a fast road one TBH

I've done about 150 - 200 laps of the ring.

It was a TF day, so not exactly balls out - and we had to stop to get through the barriers between each lap.

I've done about 100 laps on Ystuff there, no problem.

Impreza Wagon
I've never had fast road/track pads fitted but after some horrific brake fade at the ring on the standards they're being binned! I'm going to be a sheep and start with the DS2500 and try out a few until I find the ones I like the most.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It's a pity they are generally expensive as it would be good to try all sorts. Need more money lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've done about 150 - 200 laps of the ring.

It was a TF day, so not exactly balls out - and we had to stop to get through the barriers between each lap.

I've done about 100 laps on Ystuff there, no problem.

Surprised you have found so much difference between the 2500 and the yellowstuff, I have always found them fairly equivalent, both good pads IME

Impreza Wagon
What's the price difference between yellowstuff and 2500's? Never really looked into EBC pads before.

Impreza Wagon
A fair bit cheaper then, I think I'll end up trying both. Interesting reading peoples opinions though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Use them hard a few times from a moderate speed (60 ish) is a general rule of thumb, although some manufacturers will specify slightly differently.