ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft Gaiter Gone? (With Pics)

Bumder With A Buffer
Was changing my front discs/pads over yesterday and noticed that the Driveshaft gaiter is knackered now (bloody car is costing me a fortune at the minute!)! I have attached some piccys so someone can confirm it.

Big job to do? And also parts expensive??

02022008078.jpg

02022008079.jpg

02022008080.jpg

that's definitely had it and with some style!

presume you can get replacement inner boots; the driveshaft will need to come off to fit it and you'll therefore need to replace the gear oil too. has it been split long? as you'll have got all sorts of grit in there too, which will accelerate wear in the joint - need to inspect it thoroughly once it's off

BMW M135i
If thats the offside d/s (think it is? can't tell) then you won't loose the gearbox oil.

As said i'd get it off and inspect it as if theres a load of crap in the joint it'd probably be best for new d/s time.

Lots of Alfas
Ive not seen one split like that before. Assuming there is no internal damage to driveshaft it should be a easy job, need a new gaitor kit from Renault iirc they still come with the grease).

On the 172mk1 (im sure mk2 is the same unless they are held in by a pin) the driveshafts just pull off that side by unbolting the hub nut and removing the suspension strut.

Rs monaco 172 mk2
f**k.. mines gone in exactly the same way.......
anyone got idea of how much were looking at

silver 172 ff
mine went like that and they dont do a gaitor for that side its a new driveshaft job. trust me on that i looked everywhere for a cheaper way. its definatly a new driveshaft. i managed to get one from a local motorfactors for 90 quid. dead easy to change though about 1hour job.

silver 172 ff
and before anyone says thats rubbish if you look closely you can see there is nowhere for the big side of an inner bootto attach to and you couldnt get one on if there was coz there is no way it would get over the bearing. is a silly design.

RenaultSport clio 17
mines gone exactly the same way, just bought the repair kit from renault, but having trouble in what needs to be taken off to remove the shaft, would love some advice on what i need to do step by step..

RenaultSport clio 17
guys ive removed driveshaft now my new problem is taking off old boot off it like the steel tube is pressed in, anyone know whats the best way to remove it,

thanks.

'95 Astra :-(
Mum just had both outer gaiters changed on a Citroen ZX, it cost £170.

I changed both the outer gaiters on my Pug 405, it cost £7.50 for the bits but to be honest it was a right ballache.

On the Pug, to remove the outer CV joint there is a retaining circlip on the shaft that is burried within the outer joint. So you have to hold the driveshaft and hit the inner part of the CV joint to remove it. Very difficult to explain, need a manual really.

Good luck.

clio 172 phase 2
guys ive removed driveshaft now my new problem is taking off old boot off it like the steel tube is pressed in, anyone know whats the best way to remove it,

thanks.
Got to bring back this old thread, as i'm having the exact same problem. Cannot get the old boot off due to the exact same reason as said above:banghead:.
Can anyone shed some light on this?:cheers:

G

Gregor11

mate this a dealer only new driveshaft, renault do an exchange offer i believe!! you can't replace the internal c.v boot on the drivers side

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Its a new shaft.
£206 from Renault + fitting works out about £340 job lot.

Cheapo replacements from Eurocarparts or GSF are "made out of butter" to hear some people speak.

G

Gregor11

Its a new shaft.
£206 from Renault + fitting works out about £340 job lot.

Cheapo replacements from Eurocarparts or GSF are "made out of butter" to hear some people speak.

euro car parts drive shafts will fit in a fashion, but they have an external cv boot clip on the inner cv boot which catches the block, so they dont fit safely!! you need an internal c.v boot on the 2.0ltr clio so it doesnt catch the block!!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
euro car parts drive shafts will fit in a fashion, but they have an external cv boot clip on the inner cv boot which catches the block, so they dont fit safely!! you need an internal c.v boot on the 2.0ltr clio so it doesnt catch the block!!

Nice to know Gregor, cheers.
I would only go for a genuine Renault one anyway if required.

G

Gregor11

Nice to know Gregor, cheers.
I would only go for a genuine Renault one anyway if required.

more than welcome sir!! a lot of euro's stuff is ok, i got some rear dampers off them, they were ok, but they don't have things like springs, front dampers, correct spark plugs, they will tell you they do, but trust me it doesnt fit, a lot of their "2.0ltr sport" stuff is generic, they believe the 1.2 is the same set up etc!!