ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jekyll's RB182 Progress Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'm glad it passed Mark bring it over when your free give it coat of hydro2 and a good clean.

Will do Ian. Will be in a few weekends time as I'm busy for the next few :smile:

Told ya it'd pass. When did you get the big ghey wing on it? Did I miss an update??

P.s. My pass only cost £30 #YorkshireMan [emoji57]

The more northern you are, the more tight you are? Just what I heard anyway.....

No mate, the trophy spoiler was on there when I bought the car :wink:

How the hell did that shed pass with no advisories? Defo paying the MOT guy a couple of quid :wink:

Bender!!

Obviously got lucky on the day! (Or the fact that everything's been changed!! 😂)

Great thread, beautiful car. The Renaultsport decal on the dials is spot on, how it should have looked out of the factory.

Thank you. It's little subtle things that make a difference. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So with CSF coming up, i plan to do/change a few things.

Firstly the front tyres are getting low so today i've just purchased 2x AD08R's. These will be with me next week. Once they arrive i will get them fitted along with the wheels balanced and the tracking done for piece of mind. I get vibration from 80mph so i think the wheels need weights on them.

Im going to order some new rear shocks as i think mine are on the way out. Im getting some knocking on the rear when going over a small bump in the road and the wavy/boaty feeling which is normally rear shocks. I've contemplated getting Koni rears as they are adjustable but i think i will stick with the Bilsteins and keep it a full kit. Got a quote from our electricians at work who deal with Bilstein and they can get them for £112+ VAT each. Bit pricey but thats what im going for. Will order them next week.

I've developed a hesitation when accelerating. Nothing major but needs looking at. It also pops when i down shift and blip the throttle. This has never done it so i know there is an issue, but does sound cool! I have a good condition set of HT leads and brand new set of spark plugs in the shed so i will fit them in the next few weeks.

Im also going to to an oil change soon so i will order some ELF Evolution SXR (6 litres) and a genuine oil filter and sump washer this weekend/next week. I will do the oil and plugs/leads in one hit

Going to order some new tailgate struts as mine are not performing the best. Luckily having the trophy rep spoiler means i can just order normal clio ones.

I still have my thermostat that i need to fit as i havent done that yet.

Going to remove the front coilovers and raise the front as it rubs on full lock/hard cornering since i've fitted the front inner arches. Only by a tad though as it sits spot on. The rears will stay the same, but obviously have the new rear shocks fitted. While the coilovers are off im going to give the struts and top mounts a good greasing and clean the inner arches.

My wheel nuts have been going a tad rusty. Not a surprise really as they do many miles, come off regularly and are exposed to water and road dirt. I've been thinking about getting some neo chrome ones for a while and im going to order these next week:

gt50_neo_chrome_2.jpg

Think they will look nice next to the white. Its either that, or black but for the mo i'll try these.

Then lastly im going to give it a polish. Im no detailer but will give it a good going over before CSF. So thats my plans. for the next few weeks. Getting that buzzing feeling knowing CSF is approaching! Looking forward to the weekend and catching up with you lot! :smiley:

Wicked update Mark, just about covered everything I think!

Shame to see the Bilsteins rears have gone, you haven't had them that long have you?

Regarding Neo Chrome Nuts on white wheels, I fitted some to my mates car last year, only photo I've got but may help you decide
IMG_7396.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Yes I've had them about a year but have done 10k I'd imagine. Soem last longer, doem don't. Pot luck I guess.

Oh yes, that's the decision made. Those wheel nuts look good.

You coming CSF James?

You would think they should last longer than a year/10k. Shame to have to spend money just replacing items.

Great update as usual.

I like the wheel nuts.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Did you buy the billies new Mark? A year seems like a very short life for expensive dampers.
I'm looking forward to seeing this and meeting you at csf this year[emoji106].

Renault Twingo 133
Wow... almost finished reading the entire thread. You will be costing me a lot of money with such a great example! So many things added to my "wants" list haha. Where could I get the BMS shifter you have? Seems a well cheaper option compared to the pms one, am I right?

Major respect for being able to do so many things yourself and get it looking the way it does, absolute BEAUTY. Almost makes my RB 172 look like a pile of.. Just got it tho so im starting to get it to my liking!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Wow... almost finished reading the entire thread. You will be costing me a lot of money with such a great example! So many things added to my "wants" list haha. Where could I get the BMS shifter you have? Seems a well cheaper option compared to the pms one, am I right?

Major respect for being able to do so many things yourself and get it looking the way it does, absolute BEAUTY. Almost makes my RB 172 look like a pile of.. Just got it tho so im starting to get it to my liking!

Ive got a ph2 RB with black alloys/accents

Thank you very much for the kind words :)

I always state that its not a perfect car. The body work has had paint and it has a few scuffs and chips. I say this as i dont want people thinking its something its not, when they see it in the flesh. Saying that, its just shy of 119k and is in good condition for its milage/age.

Feel free to take as many ideas as possible. However i hold no responsibility should you end up with no money left over!

The BMS shifter came with the car when i bought it, however if you are on Facebook, you can find a member named Ashley Bruneau who makes them.

Im no mechanic but i'll give it a go. Helps to learn and also save money, although sometimes it doesnt always work out that way. Also, i dont like to pay a garage when its a job i can do myself.

Get some pics up of your RB172! :)

Renault Twingo 133
IMG_8034.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
Thank you very much for the kind words :smile:

I always state that its not a perfect car. The body work has had paint and it has a few scuffs and chips. I say this as i dont want people thinking its something its not, when they see it in the flesh. Saying that, its just shy of 119k and is in good condition for its milage/age.

Feel free to take as many ideas as possible. However i hold no responsibility should you end up with no money left over!

The BMS shifter came with the car when i bought it, however if you are on Facebook, you can find a member named Ashley Bruneau who makes them.

Im no mechanic but i'll give it a go. Helps to learn and also save money, although sometimes it doesnt always work out that way. Also, i dont like to pay a garage when its a job i can do myself.

Get some pics up of your RB172! :smile:
I know you've said it before but it just looks amazing in the pics you post! Loved your other 2 projects as well btw.

Who else am I supposed to blame for the imminent spending spree?! Ill gladly take some ideas of yours and ill try to find the member on Facebook.

Id love to take on all jobs my own but I really don't have the tools to do so at the moment..

I tried attaching some pics of mine. Looks pretty decent in the pics but needs a desperate detail atm to get it back.

EDIT: is it the guy from coventry?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great mate :smile: @dylan172 Have you got a project thread? If not get one up :up:

Haha, nice to know that you like the previous cars too. Got to keep up a trend eh? I miss my old ph1 tbh 😧

This is the chap I was on about. Thia is just a screenshot from my phone of he's group. You can see he's name and also a sneaky peak of some new shifters underway.

20170730_140358.png

Renault Twingo 133
Looks great mate :smile: @dylan172 Have you got a project thread? If not get one up :up:

Haha, nice to know that you like the previous cars too. Got to keep up a trend eh? I miss my old ph1 tbh 😧

This is the chap I was on about. Thia is just a screenshot from my phone of he's group. You can see he's name and also a sneaky peak of some new shifters underway.

View attachment 445119
Thanks!
I personally prefer the ph2's, what do you like about the ph1's? Or just the fact your previous one was mint?

No thread yet as Im still making plans for the car. Won't be such a big project anyway I reckon. Might still get one up and be a picw***e Haha.

Ill shoot the guy a message, Thanks!

Renault Twingo 133
Thanks!
I personally prefer the ph2's, what do you like about the ph1's? Or just the fact your previous one was mint?

No thread yet as Im still making plans for the car. Won't be such a big project anyway I reckon. Might still get one up and be a picw***e Haha.

Ill shoot the guy a message, Thanks!
Also, how do you rate the shifter? Compared to a wobbly stock one. Just incase I actually purchase one.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Bought some new AD08R's as my fronts were getting rather low. I also decided to do an oil change. These cars are past their FSH history date IMO, so i just do it all myself and take pics and keep the receipts as proof. I think that's as good as a stamp nowadays on a car thats 10yrs+.

36295180476_9d8d741d3a_z.jpg

36203032081_034f5e0b56_z.jpg

So on with the DIY oil change:

36170893422_1b39d91be4_z.jpg

36203040061_0c3522cc31_z.jpg

36203043511_255a39fb99_z.jpg

35942741670_1396e8f4e1_z.jpg

35530975173_3510b38323_z.jpg

35530879843_c5bf80ce51_z.jpg

36295107926_1cf3ce3912_z.jpg

35942752610_d30feaf9ed_z.jpg

36295126106_26571924c7_z.jpg

36170854232_a35c7344a6_z.jpg

With that all done and everything back as it should be, i moved onto the coilovers. They had been rubbing since i fitted the inner aches on so i decided to raise them up. I went with 5 full turns, both sides. I have since lowered it 2 full turns as it looked a bit too high, so now we are 3 full turns to all the previous pics.

Coilover covers are still protecting the shocks well :smile: Off side shock and tyre:

35503762744_6fea928639_z.jpg

36202982981_25e8bc00a5_z.jpg

Near side shock and tyre:

36202991591_aef9b714d0_z.jpg

35503776874_c126fe546e_z.jpg

I knew the tracking was out but i wanted to wait until i got the tyres fitted so i could do it all in one hit. Pic of height adjustment with the very accurate masking tape!

35942805040_3ce3d69ca8_z.jpg

Pic after it was all done:

36203018741_d84bafebc1_z.jpg

Mileage after the oil change:

36295166436_25de16680a_z.jpg

I also ordered some neo chrome wheel nuts. After they arrived i realised there not for me and i don't like how they look. Ive since sent the back and got a refund.

36187473072_84cfce4702_z.jpg

36187473642_ea1ae60c76_z.jpg

36311716196_cc1b8d1884_z.jpg

35539456654_0d89d6a80f_z.jpg

I do think the look of how i've got them at the moment looks better so i'll just stick with that.

I have now had the tyres fitted and balanced and had the car alignment done. I do have the paperwork for this but didn't take a picture of it to post. Pics of car getting the alignment done:

36446694272_8bdbc94e24_z.jpg

Unfotunately the wheel still has vibration at 80mph ish, but there was a trainee on the floor and i think he did mine. As there not really that local to me, i will just find a company locally that can balance them better. Hopefully do it this friday.

Ive also decided to change the engine colours again! I feel that the Peugeot Metallic grey is a tad too dark. Id like a more anthracite grey look. I took my dash strip into my local Halfords to get a kind similar colour as i like that shade (Nissan Techno Grey). Unfortunately the don't stock it, but i liked the look of Ford Polaris Grey. Of course the sticker is never a colour match but a quick google search comes up with this:

13408781_1641462689509676_939364348_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3MzA5MDIwNzE1OTI3NzIyMw%3D%3D.jpg

I think that'll work well. Cant compete with how good it looks compared to the above though :cool:

My plans this weekend is to change the HT leads for some standard ones i have and change the spark plugs too. With this happening i will lose the red HT leads i currently have. This is a shame as i like the red look, and think it gives a nice added colour on the bay. Im thinking of painting the upper inlet, fuel rail guard, belt cover and solid engine mount plate the polaris grey and maybe sand the "Renault Sport" logo down to its bare metal colour and paint the "stripes" in the french flag colours. Thoughts? Either that or have it all painted the same colour and sand down the stripes and Renault sport down or just have it all painted polars gey. Thoughts?

Plans for this weekend are:

Get wheels rebalanced.
Paint the fog mesh as one of the rivets has chipped.
Give the headlamps a polish.
Change spark plugs.
Change HT leads.
Give the wheel nuts a coat of black spray.
Paint engine parts.
Flat and polish my dash strips. I haven't done it since i painted them!
Remove coilovers, clean and grease them, and clean area where they are in the arch once there removed.
Clean arches.
Clean wheels.
Clean car.

I need to buy some new tailgate struts so i'll do that and i've just bought a second hand exhaust surround from @mossyv6 to replace my temporary painted one so i'll fit that when it arrives. Im also going to buy a CS sticker to put in the rear window. That should keep me entertained this weekend! I would like it all done for next weekend because that is CSF and im very much looking forward to that and seeing you lot there! :smiley:

Heres a few pics to finish on that i took this week in a empty multi story car park!

36573052235_d56d05ec0d_z.jpg

35763699183_79719bbb88_z.jpg

35763703723_32557140e1_z.jpg

36405032542_0cef8dc454_z.jpg

Thanks for reading,
Mark.

Last edited:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I Got a CS Sticker last week with my renewal package,cant decide on where to put it tho? i have also ordered my forum name for the CSF weekend.

Im looking forward to the drive to CSF :grimacing:

Nice work tho mate and cool photos as always :up:

Also that bus station car park looks a great on the roof for photos

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I Got a CS Sticker last week with my renewal package,cant decide on where to put it tho? i have also ordered my forum name for the CSF weekend.

Im looking forward to the drive to CSF :grimacing:

Nice work tho mate and cool photos as always :up:

Also that bus station car park looks a great on the roof for photos

Yeah im thinking of adding a forum sticker for the weekender. Will probably get white. What colour did you get?

Yeah its nice and empty at the time so when your back from Vegas well have a look up there together.

Can't wait to see this next weekend mate

I cant wait to see you ;) x

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Not a lot to do before CSF then Mark? Haha.

I'd love some photos of mine in that car park. Looks proper airey.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate defo,will give you a txt on Wednesday evening when im back.

I went for the silver or grey i think it is,thought would suit the being on the car being have sliver wheels etc.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah im thinking of adding a forum sticker for the weekender. Will probably get white. What colour did you get?

Yeah its nice and empty at the time so when your back from Vegas well have a look up there together.

I cant wait to see you :wink: x
Ditto x

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Not a lot to do before CSF then Mark? Haha.

I'd love some photos of mine in that car park. Looks proper airey.

I know mate! Yeah the car park has been there for some years but it's more expensive than some of the newer surrounding ones that people don't use it as much. It's open so you can go into it anytime of the day or night. I like it because it looks rather moody and run down.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Another job I forgot to add was my heater blows warm. Apparently it's something to do with the flap? I think there's a few threads on here about it so will tackle that also.

Here's a quick comparison on the Ford Polaris Grey to the Nissan Techno Grey. As you can see the sticker on the can is not the same colour as the paint that I sampled, which is what I thought anyway!

Will hopefully paint and lacquer the engine parts this weekend and hopefully it'll look ok. Still undecided what to do on the "Renault Sport" and "Stripes" though.....

20170817_071750.jpg
20170817_072804.jpg

Quite a list there Mark but all coming together nicely, the Polaris Grey is a decent colour so hopefully all comes out ok. The Renault Sport and stripes would look good sanded back and shiney, not so sure on the French flag on your car tho, tough one!

I went for the silver or grey i think it is,thought would suit the being on the car being have sliver wheels etc.

That was my thinking too, my ClioSport.net sticker is in the centre of the rear window under the brake light, silver to match the wheels :up:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I took your advice @182_steve, Pics blow :wink:

Did a few things on the RB this weekend. Still got more to do before CSF though. Fore some reason i seem to have deleted a few pics in between so bare with me.

Got the car in at work and up on stands early. Took the wheels off and painted the wheel nuts.

35888072813_56777a6904_z.jpg

36651656356_b5fea6819a_z.jpg

Cracked on with removing the parts i wanted to paint.

36559482761_6abacfc16a_z.jpg

Removed the old HT lead to replace them with my Renault ones.

36302383480_69ca7163ff_z.jpg

Turns out i have 2nd hand plugs at home, not new ones as i though. Forgot to bring them to work though! Anyway the ones fitted looked ok, so all i did was wire brush the ends and threads.

35862543784_2ed8ae62d0_z.jpg

35862553034_5bd58cbf17_z.jpg

Then made a start on painting the upper inlet, throttle body, engine mount plate, belt cover and fuel rail guard, although no pics of the latter.

36302363980_1289112ea5_z.jpg

36302368730_12e09d8b12_z.jpg

36651719626_1ee270c714_z.jpg

35862561274_b3fbfeb724_z.jpg

Gave the rocker cover a freshen up. I just used silver alloy wheel spray as i just wanted it clean, not perfect so i didn't bother masking up everything.

36651715856_80a37b2c0e_z.jpg

All parts that was painted in Ford Polaris Grey were then lacquered. While they was drying i fitted a new rear wiper and also some new rear tailgate struts i bought. Once again, no pics of the latter but i do keep receipts of all that i buy.

36559528481_48f802cd35_z.jpg

36651714066_d92bd0933d_z.jpg

Once all parts where dry i refitted them up. My engine plate bolts were scabby so i replaced them with some nice cap head bolts and new washers. I also gave the rubber housing and mount a clean up.

35862607674_39849ee81e_z.jpg

36528571772_c392539c62_z.jpg

36697626695_01808044ec_z.jpg

36559557831_2c2e9e4b40_z.jpg

Next up i tackled my heater issue. It blows hot no matter what temp its at. I saw a guide on here about the plug behind the more being split and that causes the issue. Word of advice...... dont attempt it if you have hands bigger than a 10yr olds as there is hardly any room!

Heater panel is located in the drivers foot well between the console and the steering column.

36697602325_4b6c99b658_z.jpg

This tool worked a treat! You have to remove the 3 screws holing the plate on. These are 6mm, but getting to them is awkward. Unlip the 2 clips and its free to remove.

36697603975_9fa7aff9ed_z.jpg

36651724526_5ceb5b98d0_z.jpg

The common culprit. I found a cable tie in there already so someone before me has already tackled it!

36697608005_13a582a9a1_z.jpg

I decided to used a jubilee clip instead. I plugged it all back together, which was a pain to line it all up, and thought it was fine until i drove it home. Maybe i didnt fit it right so i need to reinvestigate that, which pissed me off a bit.

36651727376_dedd2d0bae_z.jpg

Left it for the night and went back to work today. I gave the headlamps a mop up. I don't own a machine polisher so i used a chap at works one and hes polishing equipment. The headlamps were in pretty good condition so i just gave them a going over with 3000 trizac then mopped with the compounds (Green, yellow then blue on the same coloured pads.)

36528590692_e389da7823_z.jpg

36302499290_fcbda76b4d_z.jpg

After sleeping on it, i decided i wanted to sand the writing on the upper inlet down.

36559402331_2c9f82886c_z.jpg

35887979973_bbbb1fb04e_z.jpg

Happy with how it looks now. Need to do the lowe inlet at some point but that can wait for now. Gave the coilovers a clean/grease and washed the covers too.

36651593946_6644f6c6d1_z.jpg

Then i moved onto the rears. I wanted to fit the new B14 shock covers so i took all the rear suspension off and gave them all a clean. Swapped over the cover washers too as the new covers don't come with them.

35862449654_ff560bd277_z.jpg

36302294460_16202cbe29_z.jpg

36559429051_18ccd06a75_z.jpg

35888019783_56d743e67f_z.jpg

35888026563_31f25bffa1_z.jpg

36302325500_0ef911fddd_z.jpg

36302328340_d2679de84e_z.jpg

Gave the dash strips the flat and polish i'd be meaning to do. Only got pics of the drivers but both look the same.

35862446324_6a793861f2_z.jpg

I then called it for the day. Thats a few jobs off the list. Will do a few more during the week, including washing the Sabelt wheel again!

Before (The murkiness was due to using carb cleaner by accident - i thought i picked up the degreaser!)

36302341250_9f198120b0_z.jpg

After

36302322110_bf68234752_z.jpg

36697517295_ee6c0bfb30_z.jpg

And one leaving.

36302337260_cbc12c261c_z.jpg

Thanks for reading, Mark.

Last edited: