ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differences between 197 and the 197 Cup.

This was posted by the geezer who I ordered my R27 from on the Renaultsport forum.

Interesting...

Ordering for the 197 cup has opened as of this morning!!

As a reminder - the Clio Renaultsport 197 Cup the following equipment differences to the standard version:

Standard 197- Soft Touch Dashboard with matt satin centre console
Cup Version- Injection moulded dashboard (as used in Extreme) with black centre console

Standard 197- Renaultsport leather steering wheel with red centreband
Cup Version- Dynamique leather steering wheel

Standard197- Leather gearknob with leather gaiter
Cup- Leather gearknob with vinyl gaiter

Standard 197- Drilled aluminium pedals
Cup- Black rubber pedals

Standard 197- Renault Hands Free Keycard with reach and height adjustable steering column
Cup- Standard key with height adjustment only

Standard 197- Electric front windows with one touch control
Cup- Electric front windows

Standard 197- Satin chrome interior door handles with door pull
Cup- Black interior door handles with no door pull

Standard 197- Satin chrome exterior door handles
Cup- Black exterior door handles

Standard 197- Electric & heated body-coloured door mirrors
Cup- Manually adjustable black door mirrors

Standard 197- Cruise control and speed limiter
Cup- Not Available

Standard 197- Curtain Airbags
Cup- Optional Curtain Airbags

Standard 197- Air Conditioning as standard
Cup- Optional Air Conditioning

Standard 197- Optional Cup Chassis with red brake callipers & 17" anthracite alloy wheels
Cup- Cup Chassis as standard with red brake callipers as standard & 17" anthracite alloy wheels

RUBBER PEDALS and no door pull - Now that is tight!

cock mobile.
Ha, sounds about right.

I thought the wheels were going to be gloss black, or is that an option?

I really do think the cup makes the R27 look a damn good buy.

Golf R
hmmm... certainly makes the FF R27 seem a good buy... but tbh the lengths they've gone to aren't that dis-similar from the 172 Cups over a FF172

hmmm... certainly makes the FF R27 seem a good buy... but tbh the lengths they've gone to aren't that dis-similar from the 172 Cups over a FF172

Eh?! This is what happened to the 172 Cup aside from the height/camber/track changes...

Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
Air conditioning removed
Side airbags removed
Xenon headlamps removed
Auto-lights removed
Headlight washers removed
Rear headrests removed
Central rear seat belt removed
Heat reflecting windscreen removed
Thinner glass used throughout
Engine cover removed
Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
Sound deadening adapted
Braking system redesigned without ABS
Speedline Turini alloy wheels

For sure they can't remove ABS anymore, but they shed 89kgs for the 172 Cup, I can't imagine for a second that they will get close to that this time.

And is it me or is the 197 Cup still not actually on the RS UK website?!

Golf R
For sure they can't remove ABS anymore, but they shed 89kgs for the 172 Cup, I can't imagine for a second that they will get close to that this time.

Nope it isn't anywhere that i could spot either... nor do i reckon they'll get near the 89kg weight loss of the 172FF v 172 Cup

My reference was more to the fact that they have lost a few of the toys - electric mirrors, keyless entry, optional a/c etc

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Sounds a bit pikey inside to me heh. Mind you, I do own a Mk1 Vee and quite like the interior, so what do I know...

Prefer airbags been an option, prefer black doorhandles to chrome ones (chrome in any form is tacky IMHO - except for shiny exhausts heh, and they're obviously not chrome). Does it have the same Recaros? I'd want the drilled pedals, and the fancy s/wheel and gear stick stuff as well. And the nice dash. I would *NEED* air. Basically I'd rather an R27 :)

No mention of the longer ratios? Or are they standard on all 197s now?

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
So the pinnacle would be an R27, with a revised gearbox then I guess :)

Dan

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cheers, got my basic 197 with met cheaper than that last nov... i'm sure there is scope for discount tbh.

i'd buy one for 13k if it had a/c, recaros and white.

I reckon you (Seb) could get one in the spec you want for that price if you speak to the right dealers (ie ones that post often on renaultsport).

Blimey, my ideal Cup wouldn't be cheap...!

Recaro Seats. £850
17'' Speedline Black Wheels. £175
Plus colour choice - white available for £150

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Manual mirrors... rubber pedals... no fogs?!... black plastic everywhere... dynamique steering wheel... still no God damn spoiler as standard. For the bargain price of near 15K, what a joke.

An orange one
im sorry...but...i think they have missed the boat this time...the fact is...the 197 or R27 is just too damn good value...especially with the R27 having recaro's already in it..plus the cup suspension..cup anthracite wheels...and most of the toys the cup wont have????

stupid things that dont even save weight like the windows which are still electric...but they have done away with the best invention ever for windows...the one touch control?!

why not just stick manual windows in and be done with it?!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No mention of less sound insualtion?

Thought they'd have ripped that out to start with.

£15k is a lot is it?

I remember when the 172 Cup came out in 02/03 at £13k list price - most thought that was a bargain.

£2k increase bearing in mind the size and practicality + technical advances - doesn't sound to bad to me.

It seems to be following the 182 Cup idea of being a cheap alternative to the 'main' car, and we all know how well that sold...although the white paint will probably make up the sales as much as anything.

I can't see why they didn't go to town on it, just feels a little half-hearted,
pleased they deleted air-con though.

Tappd'd RS
No mention of less sound insualtion?

Thought they'd have ripped that out to start with.

£15k is a lot is it?

I remember when the 172 Cup came out in 02/03 at £13k list price - most thought that was a bargain.

£2k increase bearing in mind the size and practicality + technical advances - doesn't sound to bad to me.

But there was a bigger difference between the 172 Cup and FF was there not?

I think what a lot of folk are comparing to is the price you get get a 197 or R27 (at least a few weeks ago).

Agree that £2k increase given the time isn't too bad.

Cheers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
can buy a new 197 for £13ishk so a new cup will be £11ishk i reckon.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Or the Trophy. On the upside, early ones are gonna plummet in value (upside for us used buyers anyway...) because they have been selling so cheap new, and I'd imagine the older style gearbox will put a fair few people in the know off.

Dan

I've picked up on this kind of thing before, but according to Tom it isn't a problem and I'm stupid. Expecting to find renaultsport cars on the renaultsport website is a bit too much to ask apparently :rasp:

Incidenatally. looking at that spec list, the Cup appears to be a ClioIII with a bigger engine. Not for me TBH. Rubber pedals? That's not even a sporting ethos and they're probably heavier :(

It seems to be following the 182 Cup idea of being a cheap alternative to the 'main' car, and we all know how well that sold...although the white paint will probably make up the sales as much as anything.

The 182 Cup has AC/Cruise/limiter/pedals etc. etc. The 197 Cup appears to have none of these things :(

As for ditching one-touch windows - it probably cost them to remove the feature. Here's an idea, how about they make the engine produce close to 197hp, then they would'nt need to use thinner paint. The white paint is thinner right? It costs more so perhaps it's thicker?

clio 200 F4Rt
i would order one tomorrow if i had the cash.

seems like a decent bit of kit, without the pointless toys.

but then i would take the car, remove more from it and have some fun.

An orange one
if they turbo the 197...i will sell the vee tomorrow

really

come on renault...how many times do you want to see your clio get beaten in magazine tests due to lack of power??? its heavy...the power to weight just aint there anymore

you are making the best chassis in the pack right now...give us the power it deserves :(

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
if they turbo the 197...i will sell the vee tomorrow

really

come on renault...how many times do you want to see your clio get beaten in magazine tests due to lack of power??? its heavy...the power to weight just aint there anymore

you are making the best chassis in the pack right now...give us the power it deserves :(

Seconded. A Clio F1 230 would do NICELY thankyou :)

Dan