ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-cats

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Im puzzled about this at the moment!

Ive read that theyre good - Ive read that theyre bad!

The one thing I dont get is obviously your going to fail an mot with a de-cat as your emissions are illegal.

Why can then mot centers legally remove it - place the cat back on for the test - then take it back off and stick your de-cat back on to be "illegal" again?!

Im i mixing this up though? can an mot center not do this? is it a "do it yourself" jobby?

Its not just me thats puzzled about this - a good few of my mates are too!

Thanks and thankyou for listening to all my other boring silly questions! - Get used to em though - Waiting for my members pack to fly through the letterbox!

Ive just replied to your other post re the exhaust.

De-cats are good. Everyone will agree that a de-cat is extremely good value for money.

Now having a de-cat fitted, and obviously no cat, is illigel.......but who will know. Name any copper who will even look under a car, or would know what a cat will look like!

Then comes the MOT, my test centre (helps having a mate who runs it) dont bother checking the emissions and just do everything else. Others might see if it will pass with the de-cat on (not unheard of) or lastly will just change it over to get it to pass the emissions test.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

the 1st valvers didnt come with a cat anyway, so i cant believe its gonan be a major crime................ just say it was registered late!

I just give my cat to the MOT testing station and ask them to fit it for the test. Never had any problems. If you dont drive like an idiot then you probably shouldnt get attention from anyone wanting to test your exhaust fumes either.

Its not mandatory to have a catalyst fitted on all cars after 31st December 1992, but they do have to pass stricter emissions testing. So dont worry if you get pulled over and told you have to have one, since in theory a Valver will pass the test without a cat since the first 1992 UK Valver batch (as Aaron says) came without them but were most likely prepared to comply with the forthcoming 1992 legislation without the fitting of a cat anyway.

I love my de-cat. Best mod for under £50 ever. With a Valver, youll get large pops and usually large clouds of smoke at certain revs/driving styles.

172 M69 eater

for 50 quid i reckon best value 4 money power mod goin, its increased my high range power and made my exhaust note a load better.

ok it is illegal but mine passes with a decat on and its a 1996 1.2...

jus one of those things that if u include it with a chip and a decent IK, you could expect your car to feel a bit nippier

patty

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 13 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by VoRN-182 on 13 September 2003

But does it give the same performance increase?
Yes

nope it doesnt when i bought mine off mat it had a silenced magnex on it

i fitted a straight thru hillpowerde-cat cos i wanted more noise an flames and it did make a diff to performance at the top of the rev range, a silenced de-cat is more restrictive

adi

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Am I right in thinking it makes no noticable difference lower than say 4500 rpm? (can you see where Im going with that one?! heh)