ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi losing power and glow plug light coming on

t3 corolla 116bhp
Hi all

Was coming off a roundabout onto a dual carraigeway and was in 3rd gear @ about 3-3.5k revs when the engine management light flicks on for a split second and the car starts to lose power. I eased off the throttle and did it again and evrything was as normal. Later on the same day, i decided to drop down to 4th gear @ around 60mph and accelerate up to about 75 in 4th gear @ about 3.5 k and the glow plug/electrical light flicks on and the car power hesitates. I keep the accelrator down to see what happens and the light then goes off and power resumes. Did this a few times and same outcome. Did the mk2 faultfinding trick with it when i got home and no logged faults.

any suggestions or anyone in leicester area with a faultcode reader that could help me out to see if there's any logged faults?

much appreciated

J

E92 330
id imagine so, obviously like i say im no expert and it could be anything. There used to be a guy called edde on here who knew practically everything about dci`s!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yerp, my 1.2 8V got it, the head gaskit went between the 2 middle pistons it noticed and put it in LIMP mode. even if you fix the problem it will stay in LIMP mode, so when you think you have fixed it get it on a diagnostics machine to get the logs wiped.

t3 corolla 116bhp
whats best to clean it with? is it just a case of cleaning with a rag or is there something you could spray on it to clean it out? thanks

185lb/ft dCi
i'd put some injector cleaner through it, there could be a blockage, try the STP stuff from halfords

t3 corolla 116bhp
i'd put some injector cleaner through it, there could be a blockage, try the STP stuff from halfords

done that not that long ago. just been out to have a look and noticed that one of the fuel pipes coming from the diesel filter hadn't been connected up securely. could this have been the problem?

185lb/ft dCi
and it made no difference?

could possibly be a problem if it is feeding enough fuel through, but how long has it been like that and was it still connected fine even though not securely?

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
I got the exact same problem as you jonny_g!

The same warning lights flick on at high revs or at high speed and i lose a load of power, then if i ease off the pedal the lights go off and power resumes back to normal but happens again etc...

Im dying to know what the problem is too, i cleaned my EGR valve, run some injector cleaner and put the car in for a full service but the problem still persists...

Im guessing towards a faulty injector now, i had one seize which i had refurbished, so im guessing another one may be on its way out now but im not sure as it only happens at high speed or revs...

Could be a problem with overfueling, maybe the fuel pump is reaching its limit when sticking the foot down causing the car to go into limp mode?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 100 has done this a few times too, never got to the bottom of it, ran a full tank of V power diesel with some millers diesel sport 4 thru it and its been fine since

t3 corolla 116bhp
So have you checked the egr valve?

havent had a chance to get it off yet. was doing the ususal motorway run on the way home today and it didnt do it. prob will clean the valve anyway. do i need to fo it as the haynes manual says, or is it just a case of removing the airfilter housing and unbolting it from its mount?

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
havent had a chance to get it off yet. was doing the ususal motorway run on the way home today and it didnt do it. prob will clean the valve anyway. do i need to fo it as the haynes manual says, or is it just a case of removing the airfilter housing and unbolting it from its mount?

Yep mate just remove the airbox, disconnect the plug from the EGR valve, use a 10mm socket and undo the 3 bolts, if its the first time your taking it off it may be a bit stiff to remove once the bolts are undone, just use a mallet and knock it slightly to help pop it off...

Use some carb cleaner or something to remove the carbon deposits and clean the valve, some people also use petrol...

t3 corolla 116bhp
just removed the egr valve and it looks pretty covered in carbon. gonna try cleaning it now and will see how that goes

t3 corolla 116bhp
not much joy. took the car for a run up the motorway. didnt show any problems in the 1st ten miles but on way back it did it a couple of times but not every time. so i'm thinking possibly that cleaning the valve has helped but not fixed it. i did notice when i cleaned that the car seemed to rev easier and seemed a bit quicker in the lower gears. possibly my imagination or not?

help appreciated as always guys

j

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
not much joy. took the car for a run up the motorway. didnt show any problems in the 1st ten miles but on way back it did it a couple of times but not every time. so i'm thinking possibly that cleaning the valve has helped but not fixed it. i did notice when i cleaned that the car seemed to rev easier and seemed a bit quicker in the lower gears. possibly my imagination or not?

help appreciated as always guys

j

Im still having a problem even after cleaning the EGR and running some STP Diesel Injector Cleaner through the system...

When sticking the foot down or at high speed, the injector light, emissions light and stop light all come on and i lose power, at first i thought it was my tuning box so i took it off but still happens....

Usually this happens from 2nd gear onwards, but usually when sticking the foot down in 3rd onwards or at around 75-80mph in 5th...

Not sure whats causing this, a few people have said its most likely an injector failing, but why is the emissions light coming on along with the injector warning light and stop light?

Do you think it could be a faulty CAT causing the car to go into limp mode? if so then thats my excuse to go for a decat!

All help appreciated!