ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCI 65 cambelt change, few questions

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This will need doing shortly on Claude.

Heard they have a free spinning crank (or something). What does this mean to me when changing the belt. I know all the plastic guards need removing, aux belt etc.

Anyone done one of these and know a rough method and how long it would take.

Also what locking pins, tools will I need. There are various different ones on ebay.

These

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd3eae9a9

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-En...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a85285169

Last but not least. Genuine belt or whatever brand (gates, dayco etc) on ebay.

Thank you :)

Many.
Rather than the bottom crank pully having a key, it just spins on the crank, IMO makes it easier to do the belt, Just need to make sure you get the bottom pully up to the torque, leave it too loose and you'll bend valves the first time you rev it.

Top locking tools, although the only one you really need is the crank one, the diesel pump hasn't got to be exact, lines up with the edge of the pump, and the cam, use one of the engine mount bolts to lock that in the right place.

Go for a Gates belt, thats who makes renault branded ones.

Only takes me about an hour to do it now, Allow two or three hours.

PS: You'll most likely need a airgun to undo the bottom pulley.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Rather than the bottom crank pully having a key, it just spins on the crank, IMO makes it easier to do the belt, Just need to make sure you get the bottom pully up to the torque, leave it too loose and you'll bend valves the first time you rev it.

Top locking tools, although the only one you really need is the crank one, the diesel pump hasn't got to be exact, lines up with the edge of the pump, and the cam, use one of the engine mount bolts to lock that in the right place.

Go for a Gates belt, thats who makes renault branded ones.

Only takes me about an hour to do it now, Allow two or three hours.

PS: You'll most likely need a airgun to undo the bottom pulley.

Hi Alex

got to do a couple of these soon.

Whats the rough method so I don't screw it up?

Take the aux belt off, covers. I'm in new waters after that though.

Assume I pop in the locking tools (do I need to rotate the engine by hand first to a certain point?)

Loosen the tensioner and take the belt off, replace in reverse order.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh this is gonna be great! Here's a hint...

Crank pulley bolt (M14) needs to be tightened up to 120Nm then a further 95° (+/- 15°)

Get it wrong you need to rebuild the top end - enjoy!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thanks Mic, I've read about the bolt for the freewheeling pulley.

I haven't got the kit yet, will it come with a replacement bolt or would you use the original.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Genuine belt kit comes with both types of crank pulley bolts... I only ever use these so can't comment on the other kits.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Never use the original bolt. One it's pikey and two the bolt has to be ' stretch ' tightened to get the required force for keeping the pulley on

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Never use the original bolt. One it's pikey and two the bolt has to be ' stretch ' tightened to get the required force for keeping the pulley on

Haha, I thought as much, not in to bodging. Bought a gates kit so will let everyone know once I'm done.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just the cambelt this time. Current WP has no problems so isn't worth the extra expense at the moment. Will do it at the next change in a couple of years most likely.

Just the cambelt this time. Current WP has no problems so isn't worth the extra expense at the moment. Will do it at the next change in a couple of years most likely.

That's what the previous owner said about the one I bought.

7 valves, 5 guides, 4 injectors, head gasket set later. It's running again. Water pump seized 10k after the belt changed and snapped the cambelt.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Didn't realise how cheap they were. WP will be done at the same time as I've got 5l type D spare in the garage.

Gates kit comes with the correct bolt for the Pulley and the autodata instructions which as we all know are very good.

Is the waterpump held in with e torx bits or normal bolts.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
10mm hex but when it come to water pumps use a genuine item... fit it and forget it (unlike autofactor parts)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
All done.

Took me a long time as I wanted to do it perfectly and not forget anything as it was my first time.

Runs as it should and I'm very pleased that I saved £160. Carrying on my "never taken my car to a garage" philosophy.

Last question. How do you bleed the coolant system?