ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Cub 172's Flamer Project

Interesting stuff, using oil you say? Sounds like we both own BMW's :eek:

I wouldn't worry about nursing, I'd just do some tests, pre leaving. So take it for a motorway/a road blast and see how much it uses over 100 miles, then just workout your stops on the way to le mans and back for oil. If you're going to kill it off anyway, just don't worry and enjoy it!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Lol, all the running costs of a BMW, without the rwd perks :)

Yeah, it doesn't use too much on the m/way - seems to really drink it on track when its constantly 'on cam' and under constant high rpm and hard use. Doesn't surprise me.

I reckon a 5l bottle will get me to Le Mans and back with some left over ;)

Petrol Blue 182.

Can you stay behind me on the motorway? I don't want all that blue smoke getting in the Vee.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Basically just an advanced catch tank? I like it. Could we then install a small pump off of the 12v cigarette feed to pump it straight back through a 8mm line into a small hole drilled into the oil filler cap?

It'll last forever!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

FLOL!

Chip & Rob - great idea, I'll let you work up a prototype I'm happy to test!

Ryan - I'm happy to stay behind you, watch and listen to the V6 warbling away all day long ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Basically just an advanced catch tank? I like it. Could we then install a small pump off of the 12v cigarette feed to pump it straight back through a 8mm line into a small hole drilled into the oil filler cap?

It'll last forever!

I saw a video of a car in some random foreign place with a leak and he had a child catching it and pouring it back in the engine, so im sure a pump could do the same thing.

Clio 172

Can't believe I missed this thread. Car looked well at Bedford Ollie with all the white bits. Those harness's were a bit of a b*****d to sort out though complete with cage hopping to get to them. When do you suppose the engine will be sorted out by?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Lol - they were a b**ch to sort, thanks for your help with those bud. Depends on the house move, but I'm hoping new engine will be built and in around Nov time. You paid for the next Llandow yet? I see you've been acquiring a few goodies for yours ;) Flamers FTW.

Clio 172

Lol - they were a b**ch to sort, thanks for your help with those bud. Depends on the house move, but I'm hoping new engine will be built and in around Nov time. You paid for the next Llandow yet? I see you've been acquiring a few goodies for yours ;) Flamers FTW.

No not booked Llandow yet, still not decided if I am or not. With my holiday in July and an event I have in August ans the fact I am having my engine done the trackday year is running out already quite fast. I like Llandow and always have a good laugh there but I might be doing a bigger track around the same time. Need to see what happens yet.

Regarding mine I now have front and rear spacers (handles so well now) also having the door cards James is sorting out a group buy on. After some cooksport springs after that and the engine going in and she should be good for a few more thousand miles on track.

Clio 172

Fair enough mate. The goodies sound nice for yours, will be keen to see it in action again. What engine ? Straight swap?

I bought Rhys's engine that was originally Dan Mallett's engine. F4R lump with cams. The ac is also getting deleted whilst the engine is out. Need to speak to Rhys about the items I need for the induction kit but apart from that just waiting for the say so to take the car to BTM and get the engine fitted. When I dropped the engine off the place was over run with Clio's so I know Fred is busy, just waiting my turn.

Clio 172

GT, think they are similar to 421's, it apparently ran very well at a RR day last year. Its got ARP bolts as well.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update time. Been a while, again, so apologies - its another big one and pic heavy.

If you can't be bothered to read all the stuff below; its still burning oil, but not gone pop yet.

Detail

The flamer was looking a bit sorry for itself, so I whisked it down to Ant (Scrooge) & Rob on here to visit the famed unit and get a good going over and full detail, including correction and headlight correction etc. Suffice to say, the pictures speak for themselves and I was over the moon with how it looked. The guys did a great job, and i'd recommend them to anyone :). Link to the detailing thread here;

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s-Caged-Flamer-Detailed&highlight=Cub,+Detail

9071500092_18db3ced53_b.png

9070450210_fed5a80de4_b.jpg

9068223853_423da50791_b.jpg

9070450750_4eca43fc5a_b.png

9068223307_50ffefb6b8_b.jpg

9068223387_4e26293ca0_b.jpg

9068223293_f6b9d7d686_b.jpg

Le Mans

Team Anorak joined the Failsport and Norfbest on the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans. First time I had been and it was awesome. Truly awesome. Like an automotive disney world, coupled with loads of beer and bbqs. What more could you ask for. The flamer did fine on the journey down and back, carrying Tim and I with no drama. The roll cage made packing interesting, but I was surprised how much it got in it.

It was stickered up as follows;

IMG_02161_zps3ac7e4d8.jpg

IMG_02121_zpsca6156de.jpg

Parts :)

After Le Mans I went on a mini spending spree purchasing the following (most of it from Nick172Cup - cheers bud!)

- Arch Liners with brake ducting
- Pure Motorsport Top Mounts
- Pure Motorsport Front Strut Brace
- Pure Motorsport Race Shifter Kit
- 2ltr Oil Catch Tank (Motorsport spec)
- Eibach Camber Bolts
- RS Tuner (largely for diagnostics and fault finding)

Problems

As well as burning oil, it has developed a 'crazy speedo' & ABS fuse blowout problem. I suspect it is an ABS ring or a both an ABS sensor and the speedo cable that has gone. I'm hoping to get it over to our friendly Budgie to do a diagnosis with the new RS Tuner. I bought two ABS sensors for the rears second hand off here. I want to try to get this fixed before Burpspeeds Llandow track day on Aug 24th. If I can't I won't run the car as 50/50 braking is a bit alarming.

Oh, and I need to put spending on hold for the next 6 months or so, as I'm hoping to exchange in the next two weeks on this

Front_zps7da51418.jpg

Which comes with a garage, so I can finally work on the clio myself. Cannot wait! :)

Last edited:

Just popped in to nosey at the cams and cage and spotted you had a C4S!! What shape? Any pics?

Love this flamer so much!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

A nice read this thread. I love them last pics.

Just seen these comments, cheers Bobby. Rob and Luke take credit for the photos, and Scrooge (Ant) did the detailing with Rob his assistant!

Just popped in to nosey at the cams and cage and spotted you had a C4S!! What shape? Any pics?

Love this flamer so much!

I only have a few of the porsche knocking about. 911 (996 C4S) in Seal Grey, with Porsche Sports Exhaust (switchable), Sat Nav and a few other extras. I couldn't afford the insurance on a Turbo.

Bought it when I was 26, had always been an ambition to have one, ran it until I nearly turned 28 then sold it as it had a service that financially brought tears to my eyes. Cracking car, but they aren't cheap to run. I was always too scared to track it aswell, hence moving onto the flamer! :)

I don't regret owning one, but I wouldn't have a modern one again. I'd love a classic 356 though! Don't know why the piccies below have gone little? Apologies, they are shocking quality. Back then I wasn't so much into getting decent photos!

Pork.JPG

pork2.jpgPork3.jpg

Bumping this after seeing it with the trophy,ph1 and saxo thread.
Don't know what it is with this clio buts its an amazing example!

Only thing I would touch is the washer jets tbh, I got some carbon fiber blank cover ones I won't be using that I'd be happy for you to own :)

Many.

I love it when this thread get bumped as I love to see it as I scroll down. Looks perfect, but then I do love a real flamer!

Audi A5

Bumping this after seeing it with the trophy,ph1 and saxo thread.
Don't know what it is with this clio buts its an amazing example!

Only thing I would touch is the washer jets tbh, I got some carbon fiber blank cover ones I won't be using that I'd be happy for you to own :)

What a salesman! ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Oh hai!

Cheers Jared and Alex - nice to know it has some fans other than me :) Appreciate the washer blank offer chap - very kind.

Its really not very well at the moment, so a winter of work on it is planned. New engine, with some goodies planned. I complete on the new house tomorrow, so it gets a nice big garage to live in, instead of outside.

Chris - cheers for the photos bud :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update time.

Job no. 1 this winter is sorted - prepping the flamers new home;

New2_zpsbeca1bb2.jpg

Having sorted the garage, I have a job list as long as my arm, all to get done before the Trackday Season opener at Bedford on the 15th Feb. I have ordered an engine stand and Mike is kindly bringing his engine crane over and helping me - Budgie - Hero! The job list is as follows:

- Put the replacement engine (sourced from Lukes old Trophy) on the engine stand, strip it down and clean it up before giving it a new lick of paint.
- Remove the old engine (another job for Mike and me, avec a lot of Corona and anyone else who wants to join).
- 'investigate' the old engines oil eating problem. chip_mk1 is kindly helping with this.
- Whilst the engine is out, I'm getting the box out and sending off to Gripper for some maintenance on the diff.
- With the engine out, I'm going to clean and tidy up the engine bay with some painting / touching up. ;)
- Sort the ABS problem which I think may be the wire running from the ECU behind the heat shield, on the bulk head.
- With the replacement engine out, do the cambelt and retime it.
- When the box is back from Gripper, fit the gearbox and painted engine / ancillaries.
- Fit the PMS Shifter kit
- Fit the oil catch tank
- Fit the PMS Top Mounts and Strut brace kit
- Get the K-tec map for the 438's off the ECU and remap the new engine
- Fit the camber bolts
- Fit the new arch liners with built in brake ducts.

This is the engine, awaiting some elbow grease :)

New6_zps11030bc6.jpg

I have also agreed a deal with Christopher for these;

F1s_zpsbca70769.jpg

They come shod with a set of Yoko A048's, which have one or two trackdays left in them :)

So, a busy winter ahead, but I can't wait to get my hands dirty and work on the flamer and learn a bit more about it mechanically.

Longer term plans, lairy cams and ITB's or a turbo :)

Clio 172 Cup

Those tyres in the picture look like AD08's, not A048's?

I love a good engine clean up!

By the way that garage set up looks amazing! SO JEALOUS

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Project 'Fix the Flamer' swung into force last night :)

Our resident dwarf and Herbertez popped over to help me get the engine onto its stand and stripped off the spare ancillaries that came with it (alternator etc). Budgie and Nick_172Cup - Fanks! Here are some photos of Mike doing what he does best, and Nick and I doing what we do best - watching.

Stage11_zpsd89da102.jpg

Stage12_zps1c87a080.jpg

Offered up. The wee man was struggling here, but we didn't bother helping.

Stage13_zps280c8b1f.jpg

On the stand.

Stage14_zps85ca802d.jpg

Then used Mikes Monaco to jump start the Flamer, and get it in the garage;

Stage15_zpsa4571418.jpg

Plenty of space to work on it still :)

Stage17_zps83e36f07.jpg

Stage16_zps01124fba.jpg

I then spent some time this afternoon removing the induction kit, throttle body, inlet manifold and fuel rail guard.

Stage110_zps45d24418.jpg

EngineBits_zpsb707c693.jpg

This is showing all the signs of a nice and healthy engine. Not exactly surprising.

Stage19_zps85022b87.jpg

Stage18_zps76644651.jpg

I then took off the sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet, and was delighted to see a few years ago that Claude hadn't taken an early cheese and wine lunch in Dieppe, and had actually painted the bonnet to quite a high standard. Was half expecting it be bare metal ;)

SoundDeadening_zps892a18ba.jpg

SoundDeadening0_zps21025056.jpg

I then set about cleaning a few bits up with some degreasant, brake cleaner and wire brush / wire drill bits. Ready to be painted;

One half clean, one half not clean;

CleanUp2_zpsbea9aa42.jpg

CleanUp4_zps1915266f.jpg

This one is work in progress still...

Before;

CleanUp3_zps6b724b54.jpg

Not finished yet, but some progress;

CleanUp5_zpsd3f83e40.jpg

More progress will be made this weekend hopefully :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I really do have a scary urge to get another mk2 and it would HAVE to be a flamer.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep

I though Mike was joking about Nick just standing there when they did my gearbox ! Now i know the truth ;)

Top lads though.

Im slightly jealous of the garage, got to sort the bench out in mine this weekend.

330i. E30 Touring.

Such a nice change to work somewhere warm and dry.

Lol! Honestly, that's the extent of Nick's effort. He'll give you some bullshit about being 'project director' or something, but he's just plain lazy. ;)