ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking noise from front of car when turning steering wheel - 182

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
After I got my car back from being repaired all was well, but recently it has developed a noticable creaking sound when I turn the steering wheel when stationary, and also when pulling off in a straight line.

It is not the knocking problem of the suspension tops it is something different.

It doesn't seem to be altering the performance of the car in any way and I cannot get my head around what is causing it.

Yeah, I mean it wasn't doing it before the accident, so was wondering if anyone knew what may be causing it?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Ive got the same problem changed the top mount and it was ok for a day, but its now doing it again. Peed off after spending over £100 & still not sorted.

If you read the first post I said that it wasn't this.

I know that it does it on full lock when the car is cold, but this noise happens all the time, when turning the steering wheel. And when pulling off in a straight line.

Are you guys sure that it is that? Because I knew of the suspension problem before this and was a different sound.

my steering wheel creaks to but from inside the car.theirs a rubber grommet where the steering column goes through the bulkhead.i managed to split it by mistake the other day when changing the rack, and guess what ain't heard any creaking since!

Clio Dci
Jack up the front end - use stands and get as close as possible to the steering rack. Get someone to turn the steering wheel and listen for noises - my Clio Dci does exactly as you describe and its definetly the rack. Spoke to a bloke at Renault who mentioned its a common problem - only solution is a new rack because its a sealed unit. But also mentioned forget about it - there's an idle gear on electric assisted racks that gets noisy - but it won't fail or effect MOT. Just have to live with it I'm afraid.
There's also a tech note supposedly.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
My 182 had a bad creaking noise from new, sounded like an old piece of wood (best I can describe)?? My dealer fixed it by replacing the rotary switch and another component, which I can't remember, behind the wheel. Steering also feels better when driving, bit more "meaty".

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Oh yeah and one of my indicators wasn't cancelling sometimes. Since having the creaking fixed, this has stopped happening.

Thanks for that, might get it booked into a garage then sometime. Its just such an annoying sound. The rubbing sound when on full lock did my head in, and now I have this.

If it is the top strut issue than it is entirely possible to fix it yourself.

Need a tool to grind down where it's rubbing on the top strut.

H22A7 Accord Type R
simular to mine...........just had a whole new front end suspension setup and mine creaks when initially setting off and braking.........and slightly when turning at low speeds..........its going back into the bodyshop for it checking over.........

H22A7 Accord Type R
hmmmmm bloody replacement parts lol!!!!!!! ive done 700 miles in mine since repair and its still doing it.......... be taking it back soon..........its bloody annoying thats all lol

Mazda MX5 1.8
mines been squeeking for about a year & a half now altho mine appears to be coming from just behind the steering wheel

only gets bad when cold/damp so hopefully im coming to the end of sqeeky season!

1998 BMW e46 323i
mine too, when pulling up at lights or to park next to kerbs is when I notice it the most... But it really sounds like it's coming from the rear