ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed my 1.2 last night

I was going round a right hander last night on the left hand side of the road. this road is just where there is a change in speed and changes from a 40mph limit to 60mph limit going my way and a 60mph to 40mph limit going the opposite way. As i was exiting the corner another car coming the other way was busy taking his racing line entering the turn (consequently on my side of the road) and was obviously continuing at a speed used in the 60mph limit zone he had just come out of. Anyway he caused me to swerve putting two wheels onto a grass verge on the left side of the road briefly, the car then began to slide and i ended up sliding with the front of the car facing a tall verge on the right side of the road. The car then mounted the verge and spun a full 360 ending up with a perfect parrallel park up on the edge of the right hand side of the road.

Luckily myself and two passengers are ok and there are no injuries, but the car isnt. The damage includes the front bumper being ripped off, front left light being taken out, mangled front left inner wheel arch, severely dented bonnet, snapped left and right corner panels and radiator damage. The subframe is completly straight and the suspension, driveshafts ect are ok as is the exhaust and under side of the car. Plus the tracking is out by a mile!!! I should think its almost certainly a write off.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar accident and is there anybody out there who can sort out my clio without me making an insurance claim if it isnt written off ect?

P.S i will post some photos of the damage later today.

glad your ok, dont know anything about the insurance claim but there will be someone on here who can help you out im sure.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I hope its cosmetic mate but as ohers have said, a car can be replaced, you and your friends cant. At least ur all ok. And its a good job u avoided that tree. Good job.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Glad you all ok,

as for the subframe etc if you get it repaired yourself id get em to put it on a jig anyway just to make sure.

sounds like you have similar damage to what i did a few weeks ago, Are you sure the subframe and suspension isnt bent? I didnt think mine was until i had it properly checked out. The quote for my repairs was just over 2k but thats for a v6, so should imagine you will be in the region of 1600 to get it done properly. But thats just a guess im no expert.

I had a slightly more damage but similar to this and the bill totalled £3.5k or so but the airbags went off (£500) and some panels were damaged (~£300) plus it needed 3 new wheels and tyres (Id hit the curb so its best to change them since internal damge to tyres cannot be found until they break) so Id say probably with a friendly garage maybe £1~2K.

The sub frame should be OK the bolts are supposed to go first to help lower repair costs.

If its a write of depends massively on the insurance company normally they work on if the damage is 50% the market value of the car they write it off.

Thanks for the replys, theyve been a real help.

Ive just taken the car to a friends bodyshop and he has made some corrections to my innitial thoughts on what was damaged. He assures me there is no damage to the subframe or the radiator. However the problem now is that the system that locks the seatbelts has broken in 2 of the seats, also the side airbag in the passensger seat has gone off and im told that a cover only for the seat comes to £500.

Basically this is the list of damaged parts:

Bonnet, Bumper, Left light, Left side panel, Left and right plastic inner wheel arches, (Possibly) left lower suspension arm, 2 locking seatbelt mechanisms and passensger side airbag (possibility of a complete second hand seat though).

I any of you guys out there have had to replace any of the above could you please tell me how much you paid??

Thanks in advance

Quote: Originally posted by Tadleyno1 on 31 January 2005

However the problem now is that the system that locks the seatbelts has broken in 2 of the seats, also the side airbag in the passensger seat has gone off and im told that a cover only for the seat comes to £500.
Basically this is the list of damaged parts:

Bonnet, Bumper, Left light, Left side panel, Left and right plastic inner wheel arches, (Possibly) left lower suspension arm, 2 locking seatbelt mechanisms and passensger side airbag (possibility of a complete second hand seat though).
If the airbag has gone off youve got an expensive problem. Once the airbag computer is used it has to be binned before the airbags are usable and the computers £150. Getting one from a scrappie is difficult as they usually have been used to activate the airbags etc in a crash.

You have a few options.

1) Forget the airbag remove the ones you have left in the seat and the dash/wheel and pull the airbag computer light.

2) Replace the airbag computer and get the seats fixed up and install a new airbag.

3) Replace the airbag computer and get some sets for a car which hasnt had the airbags set off. Theres some for sale in the for sale area I think for £200 which is cheaper than a new airbag. But youll still need a new computer.

77 51 473 024 BONNET £128.85 ex vat

77 01 473 708 BUMPER £116.75 ex vat

77 01 054 059 H/LAMP LH RHD £66.01 ex vat

77 01 473 448 WING LHF £50.60 ex vat for a left wing.

82 00 067 074 WHEEL ARCH £33.61 ex vat for one piece passengers side arch

82 00 067 075 PROTECTOR W/ARCH £33.61 ex vat for one piece drivers side arch.

82 00 197 179 BRAS SUSPENS AV G £35.30 ex vat for the whole A shape arm bit

77 01 472 038 KIT BALLJOINT C2 £36.70 ex vat for the ball joint at the end of the arm kit. It includes all the bits you need for a new ball joint ie bolts etc.

82 00 057 161 PRETENSIONER £76.16 ex vat passengers side

82 00 057 159 PRETENSIONER £76.16 ex vat drivers side

Personally if the airbags gone off Id have it done under insurance the costs are stupid and the problems massive doing it on your own best pay the extra premium that try and pay yourself.

Passenger side airbag 82 00 187 646 AIR BAG £196.72 ex vat

82 00 136 038 COMPUTER A BAG £131.93 ex vat (can depend on exact car spec so code might not be right)

If you replace the pretentioners your supposed to replace the belts which are.

82 00 068 565 SEAT BELT £112.96 ex vat passengers side

82 00 068 567 SEATBELT FRT RH £112.96 ex vat drivers side