ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

couple of niggly things-or more serious

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Hi,

I got a V-reg 1.6 16v Clio with 34k miles on it. Bought it a couple of months ago and its been great. However, recently the handbrake light comes on whilst driving so I checked in manual and it could be the brakes BUT only if it does it while braking - which it doesnt. It is on sporadically but the main thing why I know its not the brakes is because if I hold the handbrake lever to the right when it comes on, it will go off immediatly and when i let go, it goes back on usually. I think its just a switch or dodgy connection somewhere so im not too worried about that.

The other thing is that at times the Service light AND the Airbag light come on together - then go off again later, but since last night it comes on adn now stays on which obviously indicates a problem with the airbag (gulp!). So my question is: Has anyone had similar - and if so, what were the consequences? Will i need to go to a Renault Dealer? I owned a Clio before so i know how bloody dodgy the electrics are in them. In my old one, it was like a friggin disco on the dash with the bulbs randomly going off and coming on again so i don;t want to take it to a Renault Dealer and spend cash on it only to find its just the crappy electrics or something playing up!

ANy help/Advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Daz

my SERV and airbag light came on intermittently when I was driving to Glasgow once, when I had done my shopping and was driving back, the lights had gone off. Check the quality of your rear pads.

hey mate this is nothing 2 worry about look under your passenger seat, there will be 2 sets of cables make sure they are tight together, let me guess it comes on and off and happened when you went over a big bump? its a common fault, hope this helps mate.

stevie

The airbag/service light is the Pretensioner connector under the seat..

The fix is to cut the Grey pretensioner connector off and solder the wires together..

Note: On the Pre 2001 cars it can be either side.. On the 2001 on cars it is predomanantly the passenger side..

We Probably do 3 or 4 a week..

In my work van the handbrake light comes on when you go round a tight bend- i would think that was down to the switch being made some how, possibly the same as your clio.

Quote: Originally posted by 172 Exclusive on 04 October 2004
The airbag/service light is the Pretensioner connector under the seat.. The fix is to cut the Grey pretensioner connector off and solder the wires together.. Note: On the Pre 2001 cars it can be either side.. On the 2001 on cars it is predomanantly the passenger side..We Probably do 3 or 4 a week..

How much does your employer charge for this service?

Also is it a job that you could safely do yourself without borking anything else?

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

wow, nice one guys! that helps a LOT! At least i won;t live in fear of the airbags all going off when i brake too hard! heh

But, this...Pretensioner..... what causes it to be faulty like this? is it potentially a problem or literally just some kindof bad contact?

Thx a lot lads!

Daz