ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Contract ending - SIM only or contract again ?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Considering my options here and I think I might be better off (and out of contract!) going SIM only.

Had my HTC Desire for 2 years nearly, love it. It does everything I need/want and after 2 years still feels fast enough and 'up there' with the top phones still. Only thing it lacks is internal storage. Not everything wants to move to SD card and then when they're there, they don't seem to like updating so it's a PiTA. Anyway, I don't like iPhones, BB or Windows so that pretty much leaves me with Android.

I don't like the Galaxy S II as it's too thin and it doesn't seem to be much further along than my Desire. The new Nexus looks good, has high specs (duel core, 16GB storage etc) and runs Android 4.0.

Lrg_Sam_NexG.jpg

I can get this for about £25 a month via P4U on T-Mobile (need T-M as no other signal at work, had no problems with them in 2 years) but it's ~£160 and 24mth contract.

I can get what I need on a £10 a month contract from T-mobile SIM only, then buy a Nexus currently for £479 from Play.com .. which I worked out will save me £140 over a 2-year contract (assuming I sell my Desire for £100), but most importantly I am contract free !!

Are there any benefits to being in a contract, vs. buying the phone yourself ? I can't see how it can be any different ?!

Thoughts, suggestions etc. chaps..

koi

Audi S1
If your only issue is with storage, you could try rooting it to move more apps to the sd card

Have you called T-mobile yet? See what they can do for you.

My contract recently ended and I have gone on a 30 day contract as am happy with my Blackberry and got a much better deal than online / in store so they might be able to make the Nexus cheaper.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
edit: woah, many replies ! Thanks...

Have you called T-mobile yet? See what they can do for you.

My contract recently ended and I have gone on a 30 day contract as am happy with my Blackberry and got a much better deal than online / in store so they might be able to make the Nexus cheaper.

I will do but it's 29th Feb before I can do anything through them. Just looking for options now. I had a call yesterday from "t-mobile" upgrading me early for my loyalty with them. It's my first contract with them... I declined.

If your only issue is with storage, you could try rooting it to move more apps to the sd card

TBH I want a new phone but thanks.. not a daft option though to save some dollar :D

Tom - Where did your reply go ? GifGaf not a bad shout at all !!

edit 2 - @ Tom - no, it's not on their site but I can get one through CPW (comedy prices) or P4U (OK prices).

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers Tom, already looked about and they're all more than I pay now for a phone I use less and less (as a phone rather than a camera/internet/tablet) :S Maybe I should get a 3310 and an iPad haha !

Dave - I hope they can sort me out but as they don't offer one at the moment, I'm unsure what will happen. I'm also only normally £1-2 over my contract price so hardly a worthy customer :eek:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Is there another MVNO that operates on Tmobile?

I guess in theory you could also consider orange...

Our tariffs are changing on Feb 1st (T-Mobile) which isn't for the better in terms of cost. If your looking at doing the £10 SIMO deal you currently get the free web (500mb FUP no extra charges) with 300m/300t + booster over 12 months (100/100 on 30 days). Next month the equivalent tariff would be around £19.50 for 300 mins.

If you want to try get a reduced rate on the SIMO deal I'm under the impression the only retentions team that have this ability are the "Save" desk. To get to these guys can be a ball ache but when you call TM follow the options to leave (150 then 2,2,2 iirc), you will speak to some chap in Manilla and you wanna say you spoke to someone on save desk who told you to ask them to transfer you to them to discuss your upgrade options, tell them you wanna leave and hope they discount it.

And no they don't stock the Nexus

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Urgh.

Doubling prices across the board !?

More than happy to leave when companies do stuff like that TBH. There's always going to be a better deal out there ;)

My 30 day is £10 and I get 300 mins, unlimited texts, free internet and it includes the BB tax which is normally £5.10 a month.

Not bad I thought and shows tmobile will move on price. Shame about the Nexus though, its what I might got for if I decide its worth spending £30 a month on a phone again.

Yeah they are selling it to us as "better value". There is a big internal announcement on 25th Jan about what's happening about some crazy special deal that's going to be launched. No idea what it is but it better be good because looking at the new tariffs it seems to be £10 a month more than the current range until you get to the £36+ price plans.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmm. Spending more money on stuff I don't use already is not better value !

Sky tried this a while back on the landline - "in order to give you better value for money, the price of calls has gone up by x and your 'evening' hours are being shortened."

Brilliant.

Also funnily enough not a single contact number on the bit of paper... cheeky twunts.