ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS250ish

M135i, 197 turbo
Picked these up on Friday
IMG_0884.JPG

Custom shafts made by berrisfords, proper grade of steel and heat treated for good measure. A lot happier with these than the welded shafts.

M135i, 197 turbo
Took the day off last Friday and took the car for its MOt'd again, passed with no advisories so in celebration have booked the 31st at Oulton Park :smile:

Driving to/from the garage showed up a really annoying vibration on the passenger side which is impressive considering how noisy it is to make itself noticeable. Had a look and it looks like the gearbox is touching the bar that joins the wishbone to the shell, going to have to try and shove the engine over to the drivers side a couple of mm.

As we now seem to be mechanically good decided to make a start on making it more presentable. Painted the engine and I think it's come out okay.

IMG_0061.JPG

Have ordered a new intercooler hardpipe kit with 2.5" diameter, will need to reposition the intercooler slightly when it arrives but will sort then. Also started getting paranoid about engine temps for Oulton, no reason as yet to worry as I think the overheating last year was down to the stupid 30 deg advance ebay flywheel. Regardless, I've ordered a low temp thermostat (75 deg) and saved a bit more weight from the bumper...

IMG_0062.JPG

Going to pick up a bit of sheet metal this week to shroud the oil cooler in and force the air through it.

Next jobs make a start on tidying up the paint work....

M135i, 197 turbo
Some other bits turned up today
IMG_0066.JPG

Brake bias adjuster for the pedal box. Thinking of mounting near the gear lever, need have a proper look at the weekend where it can go.

Also got new intercooler hard pipe kit, so started fitting. Think the intercooler needs to move up and back towards the engine 25mm ish, will have to work out how to mount it as it mounts from the rear and there's no room if I move it further back to mount it that way as the alternator is completely in the way.
IMG_0071.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Finally got around to making a proper lower engine mount. Square box section and a random bush welded together

IMG_0099.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Bit of fettling and it's in. Mounts to clio body mounting point and picks up the mounting points on the Megane sump

IMG_0103.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
My favourite project thread.
Interested to see how it performs on track, sounds a handful!

Next track day is two weeks on Wednesday at Oulton so just finishing last bits and pieces before it gets its first proper test. Sorting out some brake ducts at the moment, then need to mount brake bias adjuster and pick up spare wheels and R888R's I dropped off this morning for fitting and it's nearly done. Desperately need to repaint it but I'll do that after Oulton.

Also need to get some videos done which I keep threatening to do so maybe end of this week if all goes to plan.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Love it.
You're only around the corner from me I think mate. I think I saw the car the other morning.

M135i, 197 turbo
Chopped the bumper to fit a couple of brake ducts. Couldn't do the usual thing of mounting behind the fog light holes as the drivers side one is where my oil cooler is. Going to fit a couple of deflector plates on top of them to tidy it up; to be honest I don't like how it looks but if it works I'm not overly bothered. Having said that I've got a spare bumper on it's way as I've thought of a different way of doing it but it'll do for now

IMG_0104.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
51mm flexible hose for brake ducts, made some 'brackets' with strips of aluminium pop riveted to the car, then ducts attached with good old fashioned cable ties
IMG_0106.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Picked the R888Rs up and got them fitted to the car. GG compound, and really soft so have high hopes for them at oulton provided the weathers dry
IMG_0123.JPG

Got a GPS data logger/lap timer coming tomorrow so interested to see what we can get 0-60

M135i, 197 turbo
Reasonably successful day at Oulton on Wednesday :cool: Car is a handful, massively fast in a straight line, young @dann2707 came down for a nosey and a quick passenger ride where we pulling away from stuff like new Impreza Turbos.

Had issues right at the start of the day where I lost gears 2 4 6 and reverse, fixed temporarily with judicious use of cable ties where the shifter cable had broken away from the mount. Only other issue was boiling the brake fluid despite being extra high temp racing fluid.

The diff is awesome, properly shoves you into corners but pulls you all over the place if the you've got any lock on whatsoever when going in a straight line.

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
So the problem I've been thinking about since yesterday is what to do about the brakes. Need to go to bigger discs and brembos, that combined with new pads, brackets, lines, resized master cylinder, fixing the linkage etc is going to cost around £1k, and to be honest I can't be arsed spending any extra money on it.

So plan B. Acquire cheap 197, sell the engine and other bits, transplant the power train from the turbo into the 197 and sell all the spare parts off the turbo I no longer need. Essentially it costs me nothing other than my time and I end up with, in my opinion better more modern suspension more able to cope with the power of the turbo engine, plus brembo set up for free

Anyway, picking this up on Sunday to get cracking.

IMG_0143.PNG

M135i, 197 turbo
That is some of the best man maths I've ever heard.

To the wife/girlfriend "but it's ok because the Brembos work out to be free!"
That's exactly what I said :up:

In all seriousness the car as it stands is pretty hard core and my dad uses it as well and he's not exactly a spring chicken so something less extreme and more clubsportish will be easier to live with. Plan for the 197 is the turbo engine, gearbox, and diff, ecu etc, lower stiffer springs, polybushes, rear cage and seats. Then leave it at that and use the bloody thing. I might even leave the stereo in :astonished:

M135i, 197 turbo
For the best that I think, original car looks like a bit of a patchwork quilt now. 197 will be epic, lovely colour too!
2 owner, full history and I'm going to pull it apart :cool:

I quite like the look of it as it stands. I'm thinking keeping it subtle rather than looking like it'll kick your head in this time. I want to be able to go on some road trips and I can't lock the original so that's another reason to change the shell.

M135i, 197 turbo
Like the progress but I love the more hardcore look of the original Clio build 😧
I know, I love the look but its now too hardcore to be practical. Can't leave it anywhere and the compromises I've had to make to the driving position with the pedal box to accommodate my dad mean it's now uncomfortable for me to drive as well. A 'normal' clio with an epic power train just seems the better option

M135i, 197 turbo
Made a start stripping the 172 and sold a few bits off it already
IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Need to get suspension and brakes off then pull engine, box and wiring then scrap the shell unless anyone has a use for it...

M135i, 197 turbo
So here we go again.... collected the 197 earlier and I'm impressed. Gear change is a revelation compared to the vague shifts of the megane and 172, a couple of small bits need sorting on the body work and the wheels could do with a refurb but overall I'm pleased with it. Chassis and brakes feel great just feels a little slow compared to the other one.....
IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Made a start stripping out the rear. Not going any further with stripping it out until I start the conversion but I'm intending on keeping some interior in including the stereo at present even though it is crap.
51829604150__535E9B69-DC43-4CDF-A9FB-94138363C155.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Finished stripping the 172 and the majority of it is now sold and gone. As I want to get cracking on the 197 I dragged the shell out of the garage yesterday, hopefully get it scrapped in the next week but need to wait for my V5 to turn up as I've taken my private reg off it. Kinda of hoping someone steals it in the next week, saves me the effort of getting rid...
IMG_0202.JPG

So that's 2 years worth of work pulled apart in a couple of evening and left to rust outside :cry:

Made a bot of progress with the 197. Had stripped the interior and removed some weight, then refitted all the trim plus chucked in the Bimarco seat. Purchased the airbag controller module off Fastchip so disabled all the airbags I'd removed and no more error lights. Have left driver and passenger ones in as keeping the 197 wheel.

IMG_0208.JPG

Need to get some carpet for the rear so I can cover over where the rear bench was.

M135i, 197 turbo
Liking the look of the red seat with the interior and the silver paintwork so decided as the silver interior dash trim was a bit worse for wear to remove it and paint it
IMG_0203.JPG

Should be dry by tomorrow then will stick it in. I've also changed the stereo for a Sony one as the original Renault was really bad.... and if I'm keeping the stereo in it needs to be a decent one :up:

So, as the existing wheels need a refurb and the tyres are utter garbage got a set of raider alloys which are pretty much mint off ebay fitted with half decent tyres. Going to run these till they're dead then get some R888R and get the other wheels refurbed and some R1Rs on them.

IMG_0207.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
The car's not loud enough either at the mo so stainless steel exhaust procured, get it fitted next weekend
IMG_0204.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Your a mad man!! Just read all of this and I wish I had half the knowledge you do and balls to try something like this myself!!
Keeps me busy. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this, just saw other people doing similar and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

M135i, 197 turbo
IMG_0212.JPG

Pretty pleased with it
V5 turned up today so with any luck I can get rid of the shell by the weekend and get cracking on the 197
Also trying to find a turbo from a RS250 but struggling to locate one...

M135i, 197 turbo
Need to remove the driveshafts and then its ready to come out and go to its new home. Had to use a 6ft extension on the breaker bar to get one hub nut undone, other than that pretty straight forward. Seems a whole load more substantial than the 172 ie heavier. More power will be required :up:

M135i, 197 turbo
Been trying to sort a clutch out for use with the Clio box which is proving to be a right pain in the arse. Limited options other than a TTV flywheel with motorsport clutch and adaptor plates seems to be either an uprated organic with stronger pressure plate which both Helix and Sachs do or a 4 puck paddle from Helix which according to the interwebs is either unusable in traffic or absolutely fine depending on who you listen to....

So after some advice from Nick at Pure Motorsport I've opted for the Sachs hoping that it'll cope with the torque. If it slips or doesn't last then I'll have to chuck the paddle in and live with it.

So last night I got on with removing the driveshafts, well failed to get on with is more like it. All the various bolts holding the ball joints together on the anti-rotation links, drop links and connecting the bottom of the swivel hub to the control arm are rusted solid and just spinning when using my impact gun so I'm going to have to resort to cutting them off and replacing :rage:

M135i, 197 turbo
Well the engines finally out for collection tomorrow.
IMG_0252.JPG

Got the gearbox off and found this
IMG_0251.JPG

Be needing a new slave cylinder then. Also had to split the passenger side driveshaft as the end appears to be stuck in the gearbox and couldn't get enough leverage on it in situ to get it out. Car's fought back every step of the way so far 🔨:spanner: