ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS250ish

225 powered mk2
Will be keeping an eye on the pedal box you've ordered, i've been playing with the idea of fitting one as the downpipe sits so close to the master cylinder. But will have to wait until I decide to do the vag or r26 gearbox conversion.

Looking forward to updates.

M135i, 197 turbo
Will be keeping an eye on the pedal box you've ordered, i've been playing with the idea of fitting one as the downpipe sits so close to the master cylinder. But will have to wait until I decide to do the vag or r26 gearbox conversion.

Looking forward to updates.
I'm amazed people aren't having issues with boiling brake fluid it's so close. Knew it was going to be a tight fit before I started but never imagined there'd be so little clearance

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Are you still going to use the drive by wire throttle body with the pedal box?

M135i, 197 turbo
Are you still going to use the drive by wire throttle body with the pedal box?
At the moment that's my intention. The Megane throttle uses a linkage to operate the position sensor so hoping to attach the pedal box throttle with a linkage as well. Just been and picked the pedal box and other parts up so will have a look tonight if I get back from work early enough

225 powered mk2
I'm amazed people aren't having issues with boiling brake fluid it's so close. Knew it was going to be a tight fit before I started but never imagined there'd be so little clearance

I know its so close, I relocated the brake fluid reservoir to behind the bulkhead, and used some heat shield to protect the brake lines and master cylinder, not boiled my fluid as of yet but its always in the back of my mind.

M135i, 197 turbo
I know its so close, I relocated the brake fluid reservoir to behind the bulkhead, and used some heat shield to protect the brake lines and master cylinder, not boiled my fluid as of yet but its always in the back of my mind.
I've got zero clearance between the downpipe and the master cylinder so can't even relocate the reservoir like you've done. Anyway got the pedal box now and that's exciting :D Because Racecar :D

M135i, 197 turbo
Stuck at work waiting for some things to finish so won't get to do anything tonight. On the plus side put the pedal box together
image.jpeg

For some reason I think it's the coolest part I've bought

M135i, 197 turbo
Progress and setbacks.

Had a message today to say the drive shafts are nearly done which is great as I thought I'd be waiting on them however on Sunday I got all the wiring in, ECU's in, connected all the earths and positives and though I had no intention of starting it I would have been very happy to have seen the instruments light up. Immobiliser light on, system locks and unlocks and that's it :disappointed:Have checked all the earths and connections a dozen times and checked continuity, fuses etc and no joy. Diagnostics says no connection to ECU. This should have been the easy bit, it's the entire Megane wiring system unchanged apart from a small repair to one section, it should just work :rage:

As I can't connect to the ECU either the ECU is dead, wiring fault or the UCA in the engine bay is dead. Tried ebay and about 15 breakers to try and get an ECU and key set to rule the ECU out but nowhere has one for a 225 that I can find. Ordered a replacement front interior loom from Ebay to rule out the damaged loom section, and going to get a used UCA (glorified fuse box) to rule that out. If none of that works I'm seriously contemplating getting another whole 225 to pull apart to get the parts I need :rage:

On the plus side I think it's looking pretty cool
IMG_0322.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Had the afternoon off, went to local scrapyard and got an engine bay fusebox, tried it, didn't work. Mate finally got back from his holidays and popped round to recheck everything I'd been through trying to sort the ECU etc. No progress. Bit of random googling turned up the megane technical manuals and reading up on the immobiliser turns out we needed to connect the electric steering lock - had UCH, ECU plumbed in, never occurred to connect the steering lock. And it turns over :smile: Won't fire as the fuel pump isn't wired in and I need some fuel hose as the rail connectors are different. However, feeling happier :smiley:

Was really worried the ECU was fried when nothing was happening before, however can now read it on diagnostics and with an RS Tuner so happy the ECU isn't dead. Speedo still isn't doing anything so will see what happens once I've got the fuel rail plumbed in. If the speedos dead it's easy enough to find another or failing that could use a cheap android tablet with Torque for a custom dash display.

Going to get back to putting all dash back together and tidying up all the wiring I'd been pulling part whilst fault finding. Once that's done it's onto fitting the pedal box

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Looking forward to the pedal box install. This is something I want to do to mine.

M135i, 197 turbo
I'll get some more pictures up over the weekend once I've tidied stuff up but quick update.
Fuel hose turned up so got on with starting it. Rigged the clio pump up to a battery to check which wires were earth and live, separated the fuel line under the car near the front suspension and checked it pumped out. Connected 1/4" rubber hose onto the clio pipe and ran up into the engine bay and attached to Megane rail. Connected up megane fuel pump wires to clio pump and crossed fingers. Turned over 5 times and nothing, so pulled fuel line apart and there's wasn't any pressure, checked the earth and it wasn't continuous with the battery so lashed a quick temporary earth in and tried again. Second attempt up and running :smile: Just ran it for a few seconds as no coolant, or air filter etc. I'm going to get the engine bay finished off over the next couple of days then onto pedals :spanner:

M135i, 197 turbo
Made a list earlier of everything left to do:sob:
Got on with fitting the short shifter. Had to pull the gearbox mount out to get access to get the linkage out. Getting the roll pin out of the linkage was a bit of pain, then swap over the pivot, roll pin back in and then back together. Feels a lot better.... the gear throw in the Megane is very long as standard
IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Starting putting the fuse box in properly as well - using the box from the Megane, just had to trim down a couple of the sides and drill a couple of mounts. Engine as it stands shown below - doesn't look too bad, needs to finish fuse box, fit new washer bottle as the old one wont fit under the scuttle and fit hose joiner for the boost hose on the left as had to cut it to lengthen it. Also ditched some of the breather pipework and fitted my catch can

IMG_0330.JPG

Pic below shows how intercooler just about fits - had to trim the grill slightly as the core is bigger than standard and couldn't move it back any further so boost hose is very slightly through the grill...
IMG_0331.JPG

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

I've got zero clearance between the downpipe and the master cylinder so can't even relocate the reservoir like you've done. Anyway got the pedal box now and that's exciting :smiley: Because Racecar :smiley:

Out of interest, how come you've got no clearance whereas Rob does?

Nice to see that the engine mounts all line up afterall, what about the dogbone?

M135i, 197 turbo
Out of interest, how come you've got no clearance whereas Rob does?

Nice to see that the engine mounts all line up afterall, what about the dogbone?

I assume the downpipe I'm using is larger diameter than his. Re the dogbone, need to make one

M135i, 197 turbo
Got a message that the drive shafts are ready so I'm going to pick those up tomorrow :smile:

Got the accelerator pedal mounted today - used the bracket from the clio brake pedal, drilled out the spot welds on the bulkhead plate and got it off with a bit of levering and cut the top section off
IMG_0335.JPG

Then mounted to the bulkhead by reusing a couple of holes and making another couple, then the megane accelerator bolts up to it at the bottom, for the top drilled and bolted to the dash support bar.
Then got on with putting the pedal box in. Mounted using high tensile bolts with steel spacers to raise them over the reinforment in the footwell with washers and nylocs underneath the car. Need to avoid the fuel line and the chassis rail when you attempt this....
Last thing for the pedals was cutting a piece of ply to use as a false floor to lift my feet up, fitted with steel spacers and bolts through the floor again. Got the cage back in and the hopefully the dash for the last time
FullSizeRender.jpg

Need to see how the accelerator feels with the brake and clutch. I've got room to raise it and change the angle so will see how we get on.

M135i, 197 turbo
Speedo still wasnt working yesterday either so went to a breakers and got a replacement loom section for the repaired part and swapped that over, then found the speedo connector is different 😞 So quick bit of ebaying and have a different speedo cluster on the way.
Getting there...
Main bits left now are brake lines, dogbone mount and attaching the exhaust.

M135i, 197 turbo
Didn't get time to pick the drive shafts up so decided to get on with the exhaust. Got the car as high a possible to try and manoeuvre the linkpipe in but it's too big to fit through the space between the shell and the subframe.

IMG_0341.JPG

You can just about see the end of the downpipe above. Only way to get the link pipe is either pull the sodding engine which isn't going to happen or lower the subframe so subframe it is. Took the brackets off between the shell and subframe , supported the subframe with two jacks and loosened the 4 subframe bolts off, struggled with 1 as I need an obstruction spanner I don't have to get to the back of it so that's stopped play for tonight. Need to pick up the spanner then carry on tomorrow. On the plus side it looks like the Megane Miltek link pipe will pretty much line up with the clio exhaust. Win.

M135i, 197 turbo
Got the driveshafts, just waiting on new boots then get them put together and in at the weekend
IMG_0348.JPG

Got the remote reservoirs installed under the scuttle, 1 reservoir per cylinder connected up with braided hose and air filter cobbled together, used a samco 70 - 60 reducer into the turbo inlet and reused steel elbow and air filter from my old induction set up. Hoist is attached as the subframe is lowered to get the exhaust in...
clio888.JPG

Also got the link pipe through the gap between the subframe and body with the aid of a crowbar, lump hammer and some swearing. Lines up nicely with the clio exhaust. Need to order a 350mm pipe 2.75" at one end 2.5" at the other to join them up. Place on ebay does them so get that ordered tomorrow. Ordered bradided clutch line today as well from Hel performance and made a start fitting the brake lines but had to stop as I've been sent a SAE flaring tool when I need a DIN... Last thing was swapping in the Carbon Lorraine RC6 front pads, the 5+ were great, and these should be even better.

Getting a little nervous reading this, sounds like you should make it in time!

I also just in the process of converting my car to 225 - did you think about using a 172 cup turbo mani and and downpipe?

Although i think ill be going for the meg mani and just getting a downpipe made :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M135i, 197 turbo
Getting a little nervous reading this, sounds like you should make it in time!

I also just in the process of converting my car to 225 - did you think about using a 172 cup turbo mani and and downpipe?

Although i think ill be going for the meg mani and just getting a downpipe made :smile:

You mean manifold and downpipe for a turbo conversion? No, didn't consider that, what diameter are they?

2.5" thats the way im going, means it bolts straight into a 172 exhaust aswell

M135i, 197 turbo
So what's left on the 'to do' list?
Progress looks epic!

Too much! Main items are assemble the driveshafts and get them in, connect up the exhaust, finish plumbing brakes and clutch and bleed the system, make dogbone mount. After that it's really just tidying up and wiring up the lights and switches inside the car. Hoping by the end of this weekend to be done apart from wiring and tidying up but getting complaints from my wife and kids about living in the garage every night when I get home from work so I'm currently trying to balance that as well

M135i, 197 turbo
2.5" thats the way im going, means it bolts straight into a 172 exhaust aswell

Probably would have been easier then, in a bit I'll get the rear clio section replaced with 2.75" as I like the idea of having a centre exit exhaust.

M135i, 197 turbo
Think I know why the bloody dash cluster doesn't work. Below is the Megane car network - item 9 is the instrument cluster which runs through number 8 which isn't connected as it's the EPAS ecu I sold. FFS. Need to find one and hopefully the instruments will magically spring to life...
Capture.JPG

Think I know why the bloody dash cluster doesn't work. Below is the Megane car network - item 9 is the instrument cluster which runs through number 8 which isn't connected as it's the EPAS ecu I sold. FFS. Need to find one and hopefully the instruments will magically spring to life...View attachment 162482
Would it maybe not be a case of joining some wires on the left over epas plug then?

M135i, 197 turbo
Just checked, it's not in the technical manual. Need to see if I can find on the tinterweb

Found it. Looks like bridge pins 4&5 and 6&7 of the EPAS ecu plug. Will try it tonight.
Good stuff mate, dont suppose you have the pin out for the 225 throttle body? Need to wire the 172 loom into it!

M135i, 197 turbo
So as above, can bypass the EPAS ecu by bridging pins 4&5 and 6&7 on the ECU plug and the cluster comes to life. Errors galore but that's to be expected as half the wiring's missing. Apparently the speedo runs off the ABS ecu so I've pulled the ABS ecu off the pump and will attach that so I've got a working speedo at some point.

Got the exhaust link pipe bolted up to the downpipe and the subframe reattached to the shell, should have the link pipe I need to connect it to the clio rear section tomorrow. Hangs a little lower but no big issue
IMG_0354.JPG

Also got the dogbone mount made by reusing the clio dogbone and bending the black bracket. Ideally needs another piece to triangulate it so should sort that tomorrow but engine's now solidly in