ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi glowplug issue

51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
I have the dashboard glowplug light permanently on, even whilst driving in my 51 Clio 1.5 DCi 65. It has been to the garage and had the glowplugs and the glowplug relay changed but every time it goes to the garage, the light goes out for a couple of days but then always comes back on again within a week. Does anybody have any ideas of what else it could be?

I can't afford £50 to send it in every time to have it in exactly the same state a couple of days later. Any help much appreciated.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Where are you based? It deffo needs CLIP time i'm afraid as even the most decent generic diagnostic kit cannot see the numerous engine status codes which Renault DCi's give to help diagnose running faults. The glow plug light doubles as an electrical fault light and it being on says there is a level 2 fault and one not necesarily linked to the glow plug circuit itself... could be turbo boost pressure, EGR valve or a simple wiring issue.

If you're close to Nottingham my workshop is CLIP equipped and i have a very good reputation with fixing these issues for a lot less than Renault. We had a 3.0DCi Espace IV in recently with a similar issue which the local dealer diagnosed as a whole host of expensive electrical items when all it really needed was an EGR valve clean and a set of glow plugs (which was the cause of the coke build-up in the first place).

Mick

51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
It is farly obvious that it is a glowplug issue as the car takes a while to start in the morning when the light is on, as opposed to starting straight away when it had just come out of the garage with new glowplugs + relay. I'm near Swindon so Notts would be a bit far to come but thanks very much anyway.