Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi glowplug issue

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhausts & Running Gear' started by rob1platt, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rob1platt

rob1platt

Car:
    51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
    I have the dashboard glowplug light permanently on, even whilst driving in my 51 Clio 1.5 DCi 65. It has been to the garage and had the glowplugs and the glowplug relay changed but every time it goes to the garage, the light goes out for a couple of days but then always comes back on again within a week. Does anybody have any ideas of what else it could be?

I can't afford £50 to send it in every time to have it in exactly the same state a couple of days later. Any help much appreciated.

2. edde

edde

Take it to a renault dealer and get it checked on the clip.

3. rob1platt

rob1platt

Car:
    51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
    I was wondering if it was a common problem that had a common fix.

4. MicKPM

MicKPM ClioSport Trader

Car:
    172 Cup
    Where are you based? It deffo needs CLIP time i'm afraid as even the most decent generic diagnostic kit cannot see the numerous engine status codes which Renault DCi's give to help diagnose running faults. The glow plug light doubles as an electrical fault light and it being on says there is a level 2 fault and one not necesarily linked to the glow plug circuit itself... could be turbo boost pressure, EGR valve or a simple wiring issue.

If you're close to Nottingham my workshop is CLIP equipped and i have a very good reputation with fixing these issues for a lot less than Renault. We had a 3.0DCi Espace IV in recently with a similar issue which the local dealer diagnosed as a whole host of expensive electrical items when all it really needed was an EGR valve clean and a set of glow plugs (which was the cause of the coke build-up in the first place).

Mick

5. rob1platt

rob1platt

Car:
    51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
    It is farly obvious that it is a glowplug issue as the car takes a while to start in the morning when the light is on, as opposed to starting straight away when it had just come out of the garage with new glowplugs + relay. I'm near Swindon so Notts would be a bit far to come but thanks very much anyway.

6. Martin_172

Martin_172 ClioSport Club Member

Car:
    DCi80 & Trophy
    as above EGR valve clean and set of glowplugs would be where i would start before spending any more cash on it