ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio le sport

hi, i have bought a renault clio le sport 1.2 x-reg, the garage said it was 16v, which i have been told tonight it may not be!! Does anyone know for sure? The v5 log book describes the car as a renault clio sport 3 dr hatchback engine size 1149cc, does anyone know aht i have bought and is parked outside my house?

Some of the later 1.2s were 16v units, fitted to the "Sport" range I believe. By 2001, only the bottom of the range 1.2s were 8v.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Hes right mate i had a clio mtv 2000 W 1.2 and that was a 8v, started making 16v on new shape 2001. sorry mate

Cheers, but i aint sure that "le sport" is a sport now, o the bumper strips it has 1.2 on one side and RN on the other i have been told it should say 16V or S, i think i may have been srewed here, only had the car 2 weeks, bought from a national garage which will be getting a visit tomorrow!!!

so parkers say that there is ax-reg 2000 clio sport 1.2 16v and supposedly renault would say there isnt, does anyone know for sure?

if the first 7 digits of your chassis no is VF1CBOA - ITS A 1.2 8V - If its VF1CBO5 OR VF1CBOF its a 1.2 16v. let me know and ill give you all the details.

hi folks thanks again, to cut a long story short the recepit is made out for a clio sport when in fact it is clio rn special edition le sport Also the ad for the car they gave me said renault clio sport 16v, however this add has a discalimer at the bottom saying info may be incorrect and this is what they are saying as their excuse, compensation? a free service next year!!!!!!! Told them to stick it and will be contacting lawyer and trading standards on monday morning. They may hav a discalimer on their advert, but not the receipt which is for a clio sport, i hope to hang the buggers out to dry, stay tuned for updates!!

Youll kick their arse with that much in your favour. b******s. If they call it 16v on the ad, "Sport" on the receipt and there is a "16v Sport" 1.2 in existence, then its going to be obvious to Trading Standards what you wanted to buy and what they claimed to sell you.

CAnt wait till monday to go to trding standards with all this, especially with the sport receipt and the fact that a 1.2 clio sport 16v exists

There is no such thing as a "le sport" clio - give me your reg & i will send you a factory build sheet that will tell ya everything - private e-mail of course.

vficboa - 1.2 8 valve with the d7f engine commonly known throughout the trade as the "diet" engine because of its efficiency on fuel.

sent you the email of my reg, please reply asap so i can get my case together, also was the 1.2 16v clio sport made in x-reg

DISCLAIMERS arent worth the paper they are written on! Check any law book or speak to a Solicitor and a good one up to date with consumer law will tell you the same. .........Take it back and contact your solicitor is my advise.

i am really appreciative for all this advise cant thank you all enough, i will contact my lawyer (a family freind luckily) who will be contacting the garage on monday morning first thing, hopefully i can get rid of this pig. will keep you all up-to-date with developments

thanks again

alan

It was indeed. But only for 6 weeks. The Clio Sport was a 1.4 8v from the beginning of 2000. The 1.2 16v Sport was introduced mid-February 2001, at X-reg and then continued to June, when they replaced it with the Dynamique. I got mine in April so its on a Y-plate, but there are a few X-regs about. It should be easy enough to tell, if its an RN which has been badged up as a Sport itll probably not have the double optic lights, even if the dealer might have added some alloys and a rear spoiler (if you can call it that!). Also, if it doesnt say 16V on the side strip it wont be a 1.2 16v. the 1.2 16v is the only car (afaik) to have the 5 split spoke Poimpol alloys as well, I know the dealers local to me used to rebadge a Grande with a Sporting badge off a Punto and add Oz 14" wheels and the spoiler at the back as a Limited Edition, so it might be the same type of thing, a dealer has created their own special edition called LeSport. Wither way, I think you have a strong case that they misrepresented the car, and I wish you the best of luck mate.

Heheheh....thats right, hit them with lawyer, trading standards, the works right away! Reckon theyll settle up pretty quickly.

hope they wil settle as it was a 1.2 16v i honestly thought i was buying.

Thanks for all that info, oh the car does have double optic lights though

Actually, theres a really easy solution Ive just thought of! On all models that have it, the 1.2 16v engine has a yellow and grey plastic cover which says on it "1.2l 16v" so if its the 16v itll have this! That should confirm for definite whether your car has the right engine? The double optic lights are on a couple of other models in the range (didnt think RN though??), or these may have been added as part of a dealer Sport package I guess.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No even easier is goo look at the doors if it says 16v its a 16v if it dont it aint

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

its a 1.2 8v 60bhp Rn

Not the hallowed 16v 75bhp 82lbs/ft engine

all you lads goin on about the badges and engine covers ? the only way - & trust me - is to contact your local renault franchise and give them your oval plate number on your o/s b pillar. This will tell you everything about the car & i mean ever little detail. Dealers have a computer system connected to renault & you can download the cars original factory build / spec sheet from them. It tells you every little bit of technical info about the car. I could tell you lookin at your car exactly what it is but idelapi may not have the technical knowledge a lot of us have on here & the only way for him to find out for sure is by doin this - which of course i am doin for him.

You also have an engine fabrication number either pot riveted onto the front of your block are stamped onto your cyl head on some newer stuff it will read. EG -

D7F / 720

S105648

These tell you the engine type & size + the year & month it was built - in code - the only way to decipher it is on a renault dialogys program on your pc ( only available to renault franchises ). The same applies to your g/box as well.

hi folks, development news!

Trading standards say that the discalimer aint worth a toss.

However, i need to stop using car until disput settled. Have been tnld to write to garage saying that i reject the vehicle due to false advertisment and want a full refund. Told them want a reply by friday detailing when they will pay refund and collect the car. Trading standards told me to get ready for a long dispute though as garage are unlikely to e willing to cough up despite being so obviously in the wrong watch this space!!

Thanks fo help so far folks cheers