ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - road car / track car / race car

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Just read from start to finish.
Quality.

Cheers, I found myself reading back through it the other day and it's amazes me how far it's come!

I try to post about the good and the bad aspects. I hope people can learn from the ups and he downs!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Following on from the last update I brought a new battery and installed it and.......... the battery light stays on. Thinks it's the alternator. But as I'm running out of time I will let my mechanic to sort that out. Also he will sort the brakes as the peddle is long and straighten the car up with the laser alignment. The car is going over on Tuesday so time to finish a few other jobs so I can drive it.......

First up installing the windscreen washer jets and bonnet lifter rod.

IMG_2603.JPG

Then I tidied up inside between the seats. Almost put the centre section back in but decided not to.

IMG_2598.JPG

Then I put the front bumper etc back on. I also installed he cold air supply but haven't made the chamber for it yet. I have mocked it up in cardboard. Thought I'd do the final metal one once the charging issue is shorted.

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

Then I took it for a drive!!!!!!!:cool: First time in 8 months!
Only went a mile due to the above issues!

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

Seams like a life time since I drove it last! Touch wood it seams to be ok. The induction noise is ansome and the airflow through the roof scoop is spot on. Can't wait to get the other issues sorted and then drive it! Still lots to do!!

Still my happy car day didn't last long! The daily car dicided to stop in the middle of the road. Cue three breakdown truck later and the divs manage to get it on the flatbed without wreaking the transmission! On wards in upwards!
IMG_2654.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Happy days, the Clio and X5 came back today!

IMG_2716.JPG

X5 now has a new £830 fuel pump! Luckily that was covered on the RAC warranty :grin:

The Clio now has a new alternator (circa £200) and as of Monday coming it will have new ABS sensors (£120). I hate spending money on bits that don't make the car faster or better!

IMG_2717.JPG

Lots of little bits to do now. Starting off with fitting this lot

IMG_2706.JPG

9 days till trackday :stig:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Is that pipe lagging/insulation ? I wouldn't recommend that for roll cage padding. Will do bugger all in the event of a crash/roll.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Fear not it's not! It just looks the same and cost ten times as much! It's the proper stuff from Demon Tweeks with the off centred middle. I don't want to be drinking through a straw for the rest of my life......
IMG_2720.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
So the roll cage padding is now installed. Still in two minds about putting some on the upright. There is no way my head can hit it with out my head coming off my neck, also the bar comes in handy to grab hold of to get in and out of the car. OCD grey cable ties purchased.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

Used the off cuts to project the ankles

IMG_2776.JPG

Finally time to tart the old girl up abit. Gave it a wash for the first time this year! Then added some graphics. First up was the sunscreen. I removed all the trip to do a proper job.

IMG_2727.JPG

It's hard to see but the graphics are all charcoal colour. Didn't want to go to OTT but wanted it to stand out abit from the other silver ones.

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

The strips are positioned the same as the ones that had them from the factory but are 10mm thicker (giving a smaller gap between them).

Still the list is long but at least it's nothing important to complete like the brakes..............:fearscream:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Finally after 9 months...............

She's alive!

IMG_2871.JPG

Fitted some DC1.11 pads and replaced the front ABS sensors. How much bloody money are the ABS sensors?!?!!?! Took abit of googling to realise you have to drive the car a little bit to clear the ABS fault light. Then off we went and drive 15/20miles! Stopped a few times to make sure nothing had fallen off 😂

IMG_2872.JPG

Even put some petrol in it for the first time this year!

IMG_2877.JPG

I cant fault the car at the moment, the front end feels positive, a few little rattles but no big banging or crashing. The induction noise from the new cone filter is spot on. The seats, gearbox and steering wheel are all so much better than the standard awkward positioned items.

I still need to put the cover around he induction but I feel ready for the first time in ages for the upcoming trackday!

Roll on Monday........

Attachments

• IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 143

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
just read from start to finish, great that you have had it on track in several iterations already so get the benefit of changes felt from splashing cash on mods :smile:

PMS shifter and Roll Centre kit are two of my favourite mods, only ones that made equal (perhaps more of a) difference were 15" wheels with full slicks and a limited slip in my gearbox!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
just read from start to finish, great that you have had it on track in several iterations already so get the benefit of changes felt from splashing cash on mods :smile:

PMS shifter and Roll Centre kit are two of my favourite mods, only ones that made equal (perhaps more of a) difference were 15" wheels with full slicks and a limited slip in my gearbox!

Cheers, 15'' wheels & slicks are next (I have the brackets for the smaller disks to fit the wheels already) and then the diff I hope.

But for now I just want to use it! It's been far to long!

What a great read... since I was last in here you've done loads.... I've still done nothing!

My car runs now, and has a lot less inside... but I've not fitted wheels, brakes, seats or anything yet!
I think I'll be out next year and I'll buy some more parts when the time comes or parts become available on here :up:

I look forward to seeing this at brands

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
What a great read... since I was last in here you've done loads.... I've still done nothing!

My car runs now, and has a lot less inside... but I've not fitted wheels, brakes, seats or anything yet!
I think I'll be out next year and I'll buy some more parts when the time comes or parts become available on here :up:

I look forward to seeing this at brands

I'm definatly no expert but became a victim of an out of control project that should have taken 3 months not 9. I kept adding and adding bits to be done that I didn't set out to do. Two bits of advice.................

Be happy with how it is - I still want to fit the smaller brakes, 15'' wheels, remove most of the wiring in the dash but at the end of the day it will still drive fine and be enjoyable as it is.

Set a deadline - For me booking a trackday has help motivate me and keep things in perspective. The thought of not being ready and loosing £250 in lost fees made me get the car ready!

Remember the Clio is a car, not an ornament! Chop Chop :tonguewink:

P.S. what's going on at Brands?! I know nothing.......

That's my local track... so when you're there next... I'll try and head up... seeing other clips out on track that I've watched get built on here is a big part of my motivation.

Of recent I've gone from working nights to being back on days and it's proper messed me up.

I'll have more time on the car soon and I've got a few things I need to get out of the way to be able to get the car to where I want it, but it'll get finished. I'm fairly certain it's a project I want ready for January and that also includes me passing my trailer test

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
That's my local track... so when you're there next... I'll try and head up... seeing other clips out on track that I've watched get built on here is a big part of my motivation.

Of recent I've gone from working nights to being back on days and it's proper messed me up.

I'll have more time on the car soon and I've got a few things I need to get out of the way to be able to get the car to where I want it, but it'll get finished. I'm fairly certain it's a project I want ready for January and that also includes me passing my trailer test

I went from self employed to full time and lost a lot of my 'spare' time! It is hard to balance things.

I understand Brands now! Hoping to get up there this year for an evening as it's fairly close (I'm near Reading). If I do the car has two seats so your more than welcome!

Cheers Chris

I went from self employed to full time and lost a lot of my 'spare' time! It is hard to balance things.

I understand Brands now! Hoping to get up there this year for an evening as it's fairly close (I'm near Reading). If I do the car has two seats so your more than welcome!

Cheers Chris

I'm not one to swerve offers like this... I'll be sure to keep an eye out, at some point (probably September) I'll have a few mates over to get stuff fitted and smash through some things that need a little more know-how than I've got currently. So hopefully it'll be taking a step forward soon

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Finished the first trackday, apart from having to cut the inner arch lining out 10 miles into the journey there the car was absolutely faultless! No official photographer unfortunately but I have plenty of videos. The car deffinety has a spring in her step now it's been on a diet!
IMG_3054.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 156
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Any idea what sort of times you were doing? Pretty sure I was talking to you on tric trophy page the other day?!

Ads

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Any idea what sort of times you were doing? Pretty sure I was talking to you on tric trophy page the other day?!

Ads

Just uploading some vids but the first lap I timed later in the day was 1.24 with a passenger. Front tyres was the limiting factor today. It was Uber hot!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Just uploading some vids but the first lap I timed later in the day was 1.24 with a passenger. Front tyres was the limiting factor today. It was Uber hot!

Been a bit warm hasn't it lol, I'd live to get a dry day at Combe ;) good times though by the sound of things

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Get some vids up !!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Unedited but the first is up. Obviously this is the first time I've had the camera in the car behind me on the cage. Loving the fact you can see what I'm doing (wright and wrong!) but it makes seeing out the car hard due to the contrast. Hope it's just because it was so sunny!

Anyway here's me and Guy Martin :grimacing:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
It is a brake duct for a dax cobra which was brought for this......

IMG_3301.JPG

But it/they never got fitted. I just checked the Dax website and can't find them. The pipe outlet is 70mm (same as the air inlet to the engine). To be honest it does sit proud in front of the bumper grill and could do with being a bit shallower but it was free and seams to work!

I did knock up this before he track day to help get the cold air into the engine-
IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

I had no running issues on what was a very hot day. You can see where the 70mm pipe feeds in (red circle). It's not pretty but function over form.....

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
So the last three weeks have been very strange as I haven't felt the burden of having to get the car ready for anything so I've had free time again! So today I got the clio out the garage and took it for a drive as the MOT runs out this week. I have the following week off work so I will pop it down for an MOT then. I literally haven't seen the car out since Castle Combe and it's hanging!

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

Think some flies must have gone down here during the day

IMG_3072.JPG

Car still feels more agile since loosing weight. I haven't really driven cross country since it was finished, it was fun but bumpy and raw!

Our extension starts Monday so I have a bit of an eye on money at the moment. There's talk of a trackday within the month and a late ring trip October time. I think I'm getting old as I have no interest in driving the clio over again. I need to get around to doing my trailer test so I can drag it over in relative luxury next year I think.

But one day that has been confirmed is the cliosport rolling road on 21st October at Surrey rolling road. Never done one so it should be interesting. I'd be amazed if it makes anything over 160bhp. We will see........

Also I've finally had time today to strip the old engine down. Absolutely convinced the cambelt change cause this to happen.....

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

Still I'm looking forward to completing this little side project and having it in the new extension..........

IMG_3631.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Dreaded MOT time! Spent some time sorting out a few light that didn't work. Rear number plate was interesting as it wasn't the lamp, it was the connection in the bumper that had got wet and had corroded.

Standard front number plate on and a few other bits and it........... passed!

Turns out I have play in the rear near side wheel bearing again! So doing two fast laps at the Nurburgring half an hour after changing both rear bearings last year was not the best way to bed them in?!😂

Amaised it covered 1849 miles between the MOTs considering it didn't move once for 9 months between Oct - July.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Next trackday bookded -

Bedford Monday 16th October with MSV

Always like the idea of messing around with other Clios if anyone is about?!

I wanted to go further afield as I want to do all the tracks in the UK at some point but can't be bothered with driving the car on the road to far and also would like the reassurance of if it breaks I can just drag it home.

This years winter project is to pass the trailer test and buy a trailer. I'd love to do SPA next year, that's my aim!

I'm toying with the idea of fitting an antiroll bar to reduce the understeer but we are in the middle of the extrension so might have to just drive round it!

Rolling road on 21st October as well. October is going to be busy!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
So this is stopping me working on and spending money on the clio at the moment....

IMG_4639.JPG

Which as also made the clio look like this

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

Time to clean it up and sort one thing that I regretted ever since the winter rebuild and the reason I never shown a photo of the rear of the car

IMG_4855.JPG

Due to the aero catch being on a bend I put some black sealant around each latch. Bad idea as this splurged out and made it look rubbish! I tried to pick it off but is pulled abit of the paint off!! So I left it as it was so I could calm down and sort the mess out with a little patience. So today was the day and result, it's all off.....

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

So it's all shiney now

IMG_4862.JPG

And under a cover ready for the 16th Oct. Just need to convince myself to spend some money on the an ARB before we go.....

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Result, I convinced myself (and the wife!) I needed the ARB so an order was placed with PMS and the following day a 22mm antiroll bar arrived.

It wasn't suppost to rain today but shortly after the car was in the air it started to so up went the gazebo!

IMG_4949.JPG

I opted for the rubber protectors for the drop links.

IMG_4946.JPG

Turns out it was relitivly easy to fit so after a few hours I was finished.

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

I've gone for the lowest setting and will crank it up if I need to.

Can't believe I've spent all this money over the past year making the car lighter and now I'm bolting big bits of metal to it!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The night before the trackday.........:grimacing:

Got the Clio out to find out it's covered in dust again, so I dusted it! Checked all the levels and is all seams in order. Put some air in the tyres as they were down at 18psi from the last trackday. Then I managed to carry out a couple of jobs that should gain me at least 5 seconds a lap.....

First was fit a perminant to feed to the GoPro. At Castle Combe it was flat by mid afternoon. So I missed all the faster laps at the end of the day. I dug out the old cigarette lighter and run a cable around the passenger seat to the middle of the roll cage. I can also reach this so can use it for satnav and charging the phone etc

IMG_5176.JPG

Then the big one! I touched up the headlight washer blanks as I went a bit crazy with the jet wash last time I cleaned it. Felt like a 'chips away' paint man 😂

IMG_5177.JPG

One more change I made was to soften the coilovers by 5 clicks. I always moan how hard the ride is on the road but have never adjusted the coilovers. We will see how we got on on the way up tomorrow.

Forcast is 22 degC with 45mph winds :fearscream: Looking forward to it!

IMG_5183.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Amaizing day @ Bedford, mainly because my fiend turn up in this.......

IMG_5190.JPG

Needless to say we spent all day battling with each other resulting in a couple of 'move apart' boards from the marshals :fearscream:

This was a tyre that came of the blue car (NS2Rs are fine on my car!)

IMG_5202.JPG

Weathers was weird making some some of the footage hard to see out side the car as the red sun was so sunny! I will upload them soon.

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

Does anyone recognise AN05CYP? Think it raced in the MSV race series.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Any vids yet ?

There's a couple on. More are coming. Yesterday was so sunny it's hard to see out when going towards the sun. In real life it was just as bad :cool:

This one was with my mate. There is a part two to upload. I need to invest in a second camera as he was begin me most of the time

This next one sums up a Clio's biggest flaw..... straight line speed! The M2 had no intention of getting through the traffic yet on the couple of times he moves over he floors it :pensive:. What you can't see (again because I have no rear camera) is he tries to re overtake me on the back straight once I past him. I did block him (poor etiquette I know:confused:) Half a lap later and he was miles behind us.

One thing about the car.....

The new rear ARB has changed the cars dynamics completely, it's so much more playful as you can make it oversteer and understeer at will! This is apparent at the corners after 15.05 on the first video:tearsofjoy:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
To bring to an end a busy week for the Clio we went to the group rolling road today. First of all it chucked it down on the way there resulting in the roof vent becoming a roof shower! Still we made good time and got there first.

2F4573F7-D55B-47B3-8DEC-69BE2E1CF606.jpeg

Getting there first didn’t help as it turns out! After a golf and another Clio went before me it was my turn. I would have been genuinely happy with 165ish as remember this is an engine off of Gumtree, an exhaust off of a rolled clio and an induction set up bodge together by me!

AB7FEFBC-47D0-476E-8B16-1A55F9E4ABA1.jpeg

1A9C5358-BA1A-44E0-9149-E497DE9362EC.jpeg

06D607DD-B12A-4261-B779-4B3D3B0D15C4.jpeg

B2863ADC-97C6-4D97-BB58-5A495BC2D787.jpeg

First run was 174 bhp! Happy days but the rolling road man was shacking his head. I couldn’t hear what he was saying so just looked on. Turns out my car ended up doing 6 power runs!

The reason - when I got there early the car had cooled down. When the clio detects the oil is cold it pulls back the redline by a few hundred rpm.

So when the car had warmed up it knocked out the following.........

71D66A9B-1D35-437F-9F85-5273035BE990.jpeg

Happy days!

I watched a fair few more with some interested results and have now decided the next big upgrade is...........

A LSD and not power upgrades for the engine. I like this engine, it works! I’m just going to service it and looks after it .

Looking forward to many happy days with it next year but for this year, it might be going into hybernation until the next trackday.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The car looked good yesterday!

LSD is well worth the money, probably the best mod I’ve done to my 172.

Cheers, it was a nice day out. I have never done one before so didn’t know what to expect!

Going to have to start saving for the LSD. I’m yet to hear a negative comet about them!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Randomly I got talking to a guy at work during the week and mentioned about how the Clio reduced it’s rev limit as the oil was cold on the rolling road. He said he had just brought on of these for his car....

2B767A76-246C-48CA-94B8-2BB9C5FB3D0D.jpeg

Randomly I brought it on the spot on Amazon. It turned up today and for £30 it works fine. It is basic but it gives you a clear water temp display, rpm reading etc. It does have a limit alarm but the max input is 6000rpm. Also it beeps instead of showing a visual display. This might be just a set up perameter so I will have a play when I get more time. I’m going to mount it above the dash. It plugs into the ODP port and can also be used for diagnostic and some fault resetting allegedly?!

7A4FB958-98A1-4615-8ABC-16EE4B193D2D.jpeg

067854D8-EC66-43CB-AF17-48987889734C.jpeg

I’m fed up with the car getting knocked about in the garage and getting dirty/dusty so I now have this.....

486A1230-C5FD-461D-9DFF-B2740BF288BF.jpeg

28E04347-EFC0-4D64-B4AE-C2D281A44064.jpeg

Also as the weathers starting to turn I might finally get around to getting my dehumidifier working. I’ve spent the last 13 years in the industry dehumidifying ships, tanks, helicopters and planes. I even use to look after Rowan Atkinsons one for his F1. Time to spend some time in one of my machines!

6A7693DC-F993-478E-BE30-D5DF58A5E9A8.jpeg

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio got demoted to living outside for three weeks whilst the building work was finished off. This coincided with some appalling weather. It’s only a car but these days it’s not the most weatherproof car! I did my best by taping up the roof vent etc. This was all fine until I went to remove the tape and some of the paint came off :rage:

5F0E37DA-63DD-4F05-A479-AC0C7150A8B5.jpeg

0F49B1EC-8A9F-4E57-8500-72963AACAF1C.jpeg

FFBE7DC2-FFA2-49BD-A148-025B540C7937.jpeg

I had a letter from the DVLA saying my number plate I have on retention is coming to an end. As the Clio will be sticking around for along time i’ve put it on there. Ordered the new plates with the 85mm tall front plate.

48C43C4B-8540-4381-A8B6-2A6ADE196AC2.jpeg

The number plate has been on most of my cars before.

02797CB6-0482-4F12-8715-7BECFC020D9D.jpeg

I’m not that fussed by it but knowing how much i’ve spent on it over the years moving it from one car to the other I didn’t want to loose it.

The biggest piece of next years car puzzle arrives this Thursday. My new company car aka the tow car for the Clio. It’s abit diferent from the usual diesel estate car i’ve been knocking about in. This one has 220bhp from a 1.4 petrol engine........