ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 won't start, no power at coil pack

Clio 172
Hi all,
My Clio 172 will not start, it turns over but that's all. I have read many forum posts and checked what I can but to no avail. It was working fine but suddenly stopped starting. When turning the engine over the rev needle jumps up slightly to 100-200rpm but is static whilst cranking. Here's what I've checked so far
  • Dash lights come on and go off as they should do (immobiliser light goes out)
  • Fuel rail is being primed when turning the key to position 2 but no fuel is being pumped on turn over
  • Removed and cleaned the TDC sensor
  • Checked all fuses, inside and under the bonnet
I've also checked for 12v at the coil pack and here's where I believe the problem lies. I checked the 3rd ping (white wire) which is the one I think should have 12v but has 0v. I did check the other 2 just in case but 0v at those as well. I haven't been able to get the car on a diagnostics machine yet, if this is the next course of action I'll get it towed to a garage, it's currently stuck at my work.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can check before getting it towed to a garage?

Many thanks

Clio 172
I'm struggling to check that earth strap but I've checked that the engine is earth at various points using my multimeter. So red lead on the positive terminal on the battery and the black lead touching the inlet manifold, gearbox, coil housing etc and each point I've tested comes back with 12v which must mean that it isn't an earth strap problem.

Is there anything else I can try?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
still need to check that strap.
There are a couple of earth points on the engine, but they need to be there.

I can't think of anything else you haven't already tried other than that.
Some one else may be along with an idea though.

Clio 172
I've checked that strap now, quite easy to find once I removed the induction pipe and filter. The strap is intact and connected at both ends. I've just tried just a jump lead from the negative terminal to the gearbox just to be sure and still the same problem.

There is no power on the 3rd terminal (thick white wire) on the coil pack plug. I've checked the fuel line again, it primes when turning the key to position 2 but doesn't pump any fuel when cracking which I thought it would do.

I've read above putting a jumper wire between two terminals on one of the 3 black relays but I don't know which one so don't dare until I find out what does what which turns out impossible to find. This car is driving me insane.

Clio 172
I've just tried connecting a wire straight from the battery postiive terminal to the 3rd terminal on the coil pack plug and it sparked quite allot when making the connection, I'm pretty certain it shouldn't do that. I wonder if that wire has a break in it and is shorting out. If anyone can offer any advice I would be most grateful, I'm running out of ideas.

Clio 172
I've just tried bridging the connections between two terminals on one of the black relays in the engine compartment.

IMG_7140.JPG

With the bridging wire as shown above, I get 12v showing on the multimeter. If I connect the other end to the terminal next to it, I get 0v. I have tested a few times just to be sure. I'm pretty certain it shouldn't be doing this (losing all voltage) once connected but I'm unsure how to proceed.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Stop guessing and get it looked at. Bridging this that and the other is only going to end up damaging something if you aren't careful.

Do you have breakdown cover? Or could you buy break down cover?

Clio 172
Thanks Chrisgti6 but I am looking at it, I was a mechanic for a few years and know my way around cars, although I am not an auto electrician which is why I need help. None of what I have done is guess work, I have read every post I can find on the net with the same/very similar problems as I'm having and based my testing on what others have done or suggested. The only thing I have bridged is the relay connections shown above and yes I agree, bridging random things together will only end up with more problems.

I don't have breakdown cover, I can get the car recovered to a garage or back to home if I need to, I was hoping to sort the problem out where it is.

Cheers

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I've checked that strap now, quite easy to find once I removed the induction pipe and filter. The strap is intact and connected at both ends. I've just tried just a jump lead from the negative terminal to the gearbox just to be sure and still the same problem.

This is the braided steel strap behind the passengers side front wheel?

956-4038-thickbox.jpg

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Fuel
Correctly timed spark
Compression

Find out which is missing. Have you spark tested it? Are you defo getting no spark at the plug?

Clio 172
Had an auto electrician out today, he put the small black relay (middle one) back in, locked the doors, unlocked and it started.. Unbelievable

Tried to start the car again a few hours after he had gone, also after putting the induction kit back on and plastic fuse/relay cover and it wouldn't start again. I swapped the relays around, checked all the wires were secure but still nothing. Took the relays out and sprayed with electrical cleaner, put the relays back in and to much amazement it started. I've driven the car home, tried again and it starts. I can only assume the problem was to do with the relays and/or a loose connection in the relay box. I wish I knew for future reference invade it happens again.

renault clio 1.4 16v
as i was reading i was thinking relays... glad its sorted mate, whenever my car starts getting grumpy i go through and clean all the sensor plugs and fuses relays...