ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup 820kg 'gripper' lsd track project

Probably about time to introduce myself to the clio community and update a little on the clio cup track car that was recently purchased for track use.
Purchased a clio cup 172 from Pistonheads in October with this spec:
Stone Automotive RS2 inlet manifold
Blitz 80mm s/steel mesh filter
Solid engine mounts
Oreca Group A exhaust, 182 manifold (heat wrapped)
Crank breather, Silicone hoses throughout
Alloy radiator and fan, Mocal 19 row oil cooler, Magnecor 8.5 leads
KW2 v2 coilovers with Comprace top mounts (3.5 deg-camber)
Koni fully adjustable rear suspension, Whiteline rear ARB (1 deg rear shims)
Fully poly bushed, Front OMP strutbrace
DCi steering rack (no PAS, no ABS, no A/C)
Bremo front and rear discs, Wilwood 4 pot calipers, braided brake lines
Pagid front race pads, Yellow stuff rear pads, Cup Racer brake ducts
Speedline 2118 Cup Racer alloys with 195/50x15 A048's
Short-shift kit
SPA 3 stage shift lights and rev gauge and removable steering wheel
F/glass doors and boot, Lexan windows, composite seats
Custom Cages rear rollcage
Cup Racer roof mounted air scoop
Motorbike battery in boot, master cut-out switch, starter button and ignition switch
Sabelt 5-point harnesses, floor-mounted fire extinguisher, single wiper, carbon GT mirrors, and carbon bonnet, Morette headlamps with direct feed to filter, spare steel wheel/jack

A3_YF9_Phfzdkamb9_Oon_Zm_Ccd_RBMIa_e_N3_Hl_V_Su6d8_u_AH2.jpg

bt3_Ji_Lf_SEj5_JI2k_Ju_IE0_HIa_Uwxbbvbs_B1p_QO8o_SGHv_Q_m_In3.jpg

Pl_l_D6_Wbp12r_PD0wq_G_i9_QNF_g_OZOb_UNj_QZP_M7_Is_LU_g3_NF.jpg

Good points - it was light, engine was eager and went pretty well
Bad points - mirrors were pretty much unusable, wind nearly blew the fibreglass door off and inside wheel was lighting up on some corner exit

There was a few things to sort out, firstly was the new OEM VALEO clutch as its a track toy so don't need stronger clutch:

20141031_104137.jpg

Then it was time to box up the dirty old gearbox and send away to Competition transmission services for a rebuild and Gripper diff:

20141031_121948.jpg

I can remember seeing this at Brands. Everything was ridiculously light weight :smile:

Not fancy going for some super light weight wheels too?

This is like a build thread that I should have started months ago :) Already sorted that bought these pro race 1.2's and put some rainsport3 wet tyres on there but will swap them over next year as didn't realise how much lighter they are than the speedlines

wheels.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Gripper diff for £1038? That seems a bargain.
Don't forget you need the adapter plate for the oe crownwheel and that's welded on to it (that's the additional £180 on the invoice). I get these for £1095 delivered and that includes the adapter plate and your crownwheel welded on to it. All you have to do is post your original open diff to gripper so they can remove the oe crownwheel off it.

Nice car though this one. Used to belong to Nightspirit.

Don't forget you need the adapter plate for the oe crownwheel and that's welded on to it (that's the additional £180 on the invoice). I get these for £1095 delivered and that includes the adapter plate and your crownwheel welded on to it. All you have to do is post your original open diff to gripper so they can remove the oe crownwheel off it.

Nice car though this one. Used to belong to Nightspirit.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Good price that you can get them for mate.

Not for me though lol.

172 Ph1
Great looking mean motor indeed -
Great spec too , very nice
Subscribed :

Are you booked up on the 28th Feb 2015 at bedford by any chance , would love to see this in the flesh .

After a gust of wind nearly blowing the doors off at Llandow and ripping the leather strap:
IMG_20140831_WA0013.jpg

It was time for something a bit more sturdy:

20141122_115013.jpg

Great car, remember having a mooch around this a few years ago.

I would look into getting a correct harness bar as thats a disaster waiting to happen, even more so as its a track car.

Also (you may have done already) but make sure you put some form of spreader plate behind strap bolt on the door side otherwise it will pull right through the lightweight door.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
This is seriously light , just had mine weighed at 920kg and I thought I was doing well. Interested in extra areas for weight loss ,so will be keeping an eye on this.

Slapped a lot of Rain X on there and it seemed to do the job. The roof vent does a pretty good job of putting airflow into the car

Did you block the holes off to the outside? I'm thinking of doing this to my track car I use it on the road but only to drive to and from tracks. Considering fitting a T7 matrix as well

Check out my thread, have the T7 fitted now for 2 seasons.

I've just looked through that but of your thread looks a mint project that mate. How you getting on with the T7 now? Is It as effective at clearing the screen as standard? I'm not sure how well it will work without drawing air from outside?

Its been fine, the T7 has 4 outlets, i have blocked 2 up and direct the airflow vie 2 tubes into the original demist vents behind the dash. The air gets drawn from within the cabin vie the T7 fan. I would say its the same power as setting 2/3 on the oem fans.

I use a roof scoop and window vent for outside air as my bulkhead external holes have been sealed up.

Haven't been posting for a while but a number of updates on the car:
New Odyssey battery, new track rod ends, 4 wheel laser alignment done, brake pads changed with EBC yellow.
Went to Brands today and used their car scale (I am told these are very accurate):
20150413_141037.jpg

20150413_141025.jpg

837kg with half a tank of fuel isn't bad :)

Managed some small amount of footage:

Yes big time, if you roll it and land on the front part of your roof then you may be compressed into your seat, as you have a harness so your stuck upright, Funnily if you don't have a cage a normal seat and seat belt is more safer as you can slip out from the crush. It gets even more scarier if your car lands on top of a crash barrier and knife edges the roof down.