ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.6 16v 2001 cranking but not starting?

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
Hello, I am hoping someone could help shed some light on this anoying situation I seem to have aquired.

First off I was driving earlier and it was idling at 500> until it no longer idled and simply died out. After a little fiddle beneath the bonnet I moved the wires which lead into what I beleie to be the idle control valve and it immediately began to idle 500-100RPM.

Thinking it was fine I took it out later and on my way home it kind of juddered, I turned a corner and it finally died. Now it displayed the middle warning light with the sinewave and coil like picture!

I called the AA who sent a different company out, they plugged in a 'megascan' which displayed no faults whatsoever, which I found strange as I know the O/S/F ABS sensor is faulty and the ABS and SERV lights are and were previously showing. I did however disconnect the battery to see if I could simply reset the ecu so weather or not it has wiped the memory of fault codes or not I don't know?

We did find the crank sensor was poorly connected, we removed it I didn't really know what to look for shape wise, it was a flat cylindrical shape.

I have tried removing the 15a fuse from the engine bay which is associated with the ecu and after a few seconds of cranking it stops and the warning light dissapears!

By the looks of things the vehicle did used to have an aftermarket alarm system which was removed at some point (Somebody attempted to steal the car and I think the ignition was messed with but this was around a year ago and has been fine since to my knowledge).

What do I do? I resent taking it to a garage I would very much like to be able to rectify it myself? What is my next best move?

Thanks, Toby.

(2001 Renault Clio 1.6 16v Petrol)

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
Checked all seven relays today by removing them and linking them out across the battery, they all clicked over as they should.
I also listened out for the fuel pump priming and I can't seem to hear it, weather or not this is because it's under the seats I don't know.
I also found a receipt for when the car wouldn't run, it read that they cleaned the fuel pump relay connection up and cleaned all connections on relay block.
I have visually checked them over but I cant tell which relay does what as the cover is missing!

Also on the receipt it mentioned the crank sensor it was advised that it would require replacement soon, when we looked yesterday it looked airly new but never judge a book by it's cover I guess? Is there any test I can do on the sensor say resistance etc and what readings would I expect?

Cheers again!

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
As usual, I have had to repair my fob recently but it's working as it should and red dots flashing at usually speed twist ignition and it lights up and disappears. I have towed it today and the warning on left side general engine warning is up now? But so is the pas light, so maybe just as it's not fired up.

Thanks again Toby

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
Coils come up via a few people a few times, it does turn over it just won't fire up!
Coil or Crank Sensor, have some one coming round in the next hour to plug in a snap on computer which is up-to date hopefully that brings something up, I am hopeful the problem will be resolved by tomorow!

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
Onboard computer is displaying T--- which is 'Injection fault for a minimum of four seconds". I am happy it's diagnosed - if so very roughly just want to know what to try now? Thanks!

Ibiza Cupra 240hp
Update-- Fuel pump is definately not priming, well I can't hear or feel anything after removing the seats, and cover. So... Could this be the fault which is being displayed and causing me a non starting fault? - What is my next best move? cheers!