ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning a titanium......

R26

What would you peeps use to clean your titanium - bare in mind that I dont want to spend loads of money cos essentially a clean car is a clean car.

At the moment I use that Turtle Wax Extreme Wash & Wax it is very good but what other products can you use on a titanium metallic finish ? and do they make any difference ?

Theres just too many products out there for me to know whats going on - wax / gloss / you name it...............

thanks in advance

Clio 182

I just found when I had a silver car, I needed lots of tar remover as all the black spots seemed to be breeding along the bottom...

106 GTi

Autoglym Super Resin, Extra Gloss and topped with P21s Carnuba Wax is a great combo on silver.

R26

yeh, plenty of those black tar spots (fkers) Hows best to get tem off ? a little bit of white spirits then rinse ?

I would try thr the autoglym twins, nice and easy for you as you can buy it halfords

Here is a mini masterclass!

Clean and clay the car any shampoo will do and you can buy meguirs quik clay from halfords.

Apply with a foam polishing pad the Autoglym Super resin polish. This is a cleaner wax (technically its acrylic) and will both clean, polish and protect your paintwork. Do one panel at a time and WOWI (wipe on and work in). Wipe off with 100% cotton towel or a microfibre wipe.

Once complete apply an ultra thin and I mean ultra thin layer of the Extragloss all over the car with a microfibre applicator or wipe. Foam pad not advised as layer may be too thick. Leave this Extra gloss to cure for an hour and then wipe off again with above towels but a clean one. Repeat the extra gloss after 24 hours and then again after another 24 hours. This product is WOWO (wipe on wipe off)

This layering is not essential but it is said that 3 coats will really bling the car maybe even too much as some then like to add a caranuba wax topper to add some depth and tone the shine down a little. PS it sounds like an arse but this will protect your car for ages.

[Edited by brazo on 24 March 2005 at 10:15am]

106 GTi

Autoglym Tar remover will sort the tar spots for you, I usually do this stage while washing.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 24 March 2005

I would try thr the autoglym twins, nice and easy for you as you can buy it halfords

Clean and clay the car any shampoo will do and you can buy meguirs quik clay from halfords.

Apply with a foam polishing pad the Autoglym Super resin polish. This is a cleaner wax (technically its acrylic) and will both clean, polish and protect your paintwork. Do one panel at a time and WOWI (wipe on and work in). Wipe off with 100% cotton towel or a microfibre wipe.

Once complete apply an ultra thin and I mean ultra thin layer of the Extragloss all over the car with a microfibre applicator or wipe. Foam pad not advised as layer may be too thick. Leave this Extra gloss to cure for an hour and then wipe off again with above towels but a clean one. Repeat the extra gloss after 24 hours and receive divorce papers and wave bye-bye to kids one last time and then again after another 24 hours. This product is WOWO (wipe on wipe off)

This layering is not essential but it is said that 3 coats will really bling the car maybe even too much as some then like to add a caranuba wax topper to add some depth and tone the shine down a little. PS it sounds like an arse but this will protect your car for ages.

Missed a step above ----^ :p

[Edited by Andy D on 24 March 2005 at 12:33pm]

Yaris Hybrid

LMFAO! I cant believe you lot would spend so much time polishing a titanium! I just wash mine in Autoglym shampoo and chamois it off and thats it!

Thats why I bought a titanium!

I tried Super Resin/Meguiars etc on one half of the bonnet not long after I got the car and no one could guess which side of the bonnet I had done.

Not worried about how good it will look in ten years time, most people here only keep their cars a year or two it seems and mine will go after three years. The risk of accidental swirls and scratches from polishing far out weighs the imperceptable benefits.

Now a black gold or arctic blue is a different matter...

Megane 225 baby! :)

Once complete apply an ultra thin and I mean ultra thin layer of the Extragloss all over the car with a microfibre applicator or wipe. Foam pad not advised as layer may be too thick. Leave this Extra gloss to cure for an hour and then wipe off again with above towels but a clean one. Repeat the extra gloss after 24 hours and then again after another 24 hours. This product is WOWO (wipe on wipe off)

Wanna put this theory to the test?!?! Can provide the car! ;)

I went from a silver car, to a dark blue car.

My next car will definitely be silver! Dark colours show every single mark/swirl/scratch! and they show dirt more easily!

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah I had two platinum Clios then went to a black Vectra....

I had to do Brazos mini masterclass every single time I washed the car otherwise it looked brown, smudged and swirled! Washing the car was an eight hour job! After a few days or one rain shower it was back to brown again!

Going back to Titanium is such a relief.

Ford Fiesta

why is such a thin layer of extra gloss needed? I never have a problem with it.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Arianne on 24 March 2005

I just found when I had a silver car, I needed lots of tar remover as all the black spots seemed to be breeding along the bottom...
totally agree, the front apron and side skirts gets caked in the stuff, auto glym tar remover is guid for that, but you have to be careful how you apply it and it takes ages to get stuborn bits off!!

meguiars is best for the polishes i feel, i had used turtle wax but megs is best for a deep shine

106 GTi

A thin layer of any product is advised as anything you have to buff off is waste. The thiner the coat means not only less waste, residue, in extra glosss case much more easy to remove.