ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

chugging, flashing engine light n smell of petrol.

1.6 clio dynamique
as above i have just bought a 1.6 clio dynamique.

there has been a slight knocking since i got the car (just exhaust i think) but it styarted to smell strongly of petrol when i got in car and then a couple days later after i had driven oin the motor when i stopped at lights i felt a chugging/shuddering through the car (felt like it was coming from engine) and then the engine light started to flash but the car would still drive. if i turned the engine of and on again the light would go for about 30-60 seconds then strat to flash again, but the car would only chug when stopped or setting of once i was moving and into second gear it wouldnt chug but light would stay flashing.

i have searched the forum and seen alot of different things ir could be i was wondering if any one had any ideas and what order to check them in?

thanks in andvance andy

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Sounds very similar to when my lambda failed too. Decent fault code machine should tell you....

Very likely to be pencil coil, very common fault. Can check them by taking one out at a time, if engine sounds worse then its not that one, no change in engine noise then that be your culprit.

1.6 clio dynamique
i have took the connectors of the pencil coils, the two outer ones when took of made the car engine worse but the two inner ones when i took them out made the car cut out i (took them out individually). what does this mean please?