ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat C write off - VIC Check? Help!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You are a car dealer aren't you Daniel?

Just out of interest would you sell a car that you knew to be on the register to someone without telling them if they didn't ask?

I took one in part exchange today. Funnily enough from a lying cnut who claimed he never knew. He knew, he was just another dirty lying member of the public.

Click to enlarge
0 Photos
£2,489
AUDI A2 1.6 FSI SE 5DR TAXED NEW MOT CAMBELT REPLACED

Year/Reg:2002 (52)Mileage:82,000Engine size:1.6LFuel type:petrolGearbox:ManualBody style:HatchbackColour:Insurance Group:9,
This car is registered as a category D. ++++CREDIT CARDS / PART EXCHANGES WELCOME++++, £2,489

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Do you not HPi them before you take them in?

Yes, how else would I know its a Cat D? The car books trade at £2400 - retail at £3700 Its a cat d so is retailing at £2500.

The guy claimed he knew nothing about it and tried to get me to offer him £2700 px. A little discussion with his wife and hey ho, they bought it cheap because it was a Cat D.

RB 182 FF
Benno is right as far as I can see, how can anyone prove you didn't ask the trader anyway? Id say I asked him and he said it's not accident recorded at all!!!!!!!! Just go and get the dis-honest shi t to give you your money back!!! Selling a car you know is accident recorded and not mentioning it is a joke and should be an offence!!!!!!! This country is a joke.....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Benno is right as far as I can see, how can anyone prove you didn't ask the trader anyway? Id say I asked him and he said it's not accident recorded at all!!!!!!!! Just go and get the dis-honest shi t to give you your money back!!! Selling a car you know is accident recorded and not mentioning it is a joke and should be an offence!!!!!!! This country is a joke.....

Contradiction much?

A trader HAS to tell you if the car has been written off.

My brother in law bought a van last year (from a garage) and they didn't tell him it was a cat C. He found out later that day and took it straight back the guy s**t himself and even gave him money (can't remember how much about £100ish) for him to keep quite about it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A trader HAS to tell you if the car has been written off.

My brother in law bought a van last year (from a garage) and they didn't tell him it was a cat C. He found out later that day and took it straight back the guy s**t himself and even gave him money (can't remember how much about £100ish) for him to keep quite about it.

Can you prove that. With a legitimate website stating that?

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here but after 54 posts nobody has succeeded.

RB 182 FF
I've always got 182/172's Bought 4 and sold 3 this week alone. But I'm a trader so you're probably better buying one privately, you don't like traders remember.

I don't like dis-honest ones! The ones that have wasted my I don't like either, but I think I like you because you gave me such a warm welcome:)

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Can you prove that. With a legitimate website stating that?

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here but after 54 posts nobody has succeeded.

Please visit this link: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/OFT1152con.pdf

This is an offical government website. Here is an extract from that PDF taken from page 23:

C. Providing consumers with important information prior to the
Sale

5.17 You must give consumers the information they need to make an
informed choice, before a sale is made. You must not omit or hide such
information, or provide it in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or
untimely manner.

5.18 Non-exhaustive examples of the types of information you should inform
the consumer about prior to the sale include:

The main characteristics of the vehicle - for example:
- price
- make, model, engine capacity and other physical characteristics
- history.

Any problems you are or ought to be aware of, after taking
reasonable steps, such as:

- if the vehicle has been written off as an insurance loss or has
been accident damaged
- if the vehicle was imported into the UK
- if there are any 'MOT Advisory' items
- discrepancies in the mileage or service history of the vehicle
- faults with the vehicle.
• if the vehicle is ex-rental
• details of any warranties offered (see section D below)
• details of your after-sales service and procedures.

I just wanted to add that I did not intend to offend when I asked earlier if you informed people of the status of a car when selling it. As you have shown you do, I have no problem with accident damaged cars, I have own over 20 of them now. They can be very good value for money. However I do believe you are wrong in saying that a trader does not have to inform you of its HPI status.

RB 182 FF
Please visit this link: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/OFT1152con.pdf

This is an offical government website. Here is an extract from that PDF taken from page 23:

Sale

untimely manner.

- price
- history.

been accident damaged

That looks pretty conclusive!!!!!! And bloody right as well, if a buyer can't have all the facts raised to them before a purchase and handing over hard earned cash then what is this world coming to??!!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Pete, thanks for that.

I've just copied and pasted it in an email to my trading standards bloke. (I hate him, so so much, unrelated to this incedent)

Like I said, I'm happy to be proven wrong! As my old boss says, The day you stop learning is the day you need to stop going to work.

I'll let you know what Fat ian reply's with.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
A more on topic point, when you get a reply from your guy at trading standards would you let me know what he said as I would be interested to know what he has to say.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Back on topic now please guys, this could turn out to be a useful thread. Possibly.

Sale

untimely manner.

- price
- history.

been accident damaged

i stand corrected hands up:clap:. laws,rules and regulations change on a daily basis lol, it has been around 5yrs since i was in that boat so obviously things have changed since then.

OP if i was you contact the trader again and tell them you are going to be contacting trading standards on the matter ,he may be a complete arse or you may be able to come to an agreement and get a few pennies back? i don't know.

the balls in you're court only you can decide where and how far you take it,if you want to keep it, get the car checked over by a competent mechanic/vehicle repairer if worried about state of repairs,then get the vehicle identity certificate (vic)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Regardless of the arguments we've had in this thread, the garage/trader are at fault.

When they sent off the yellow slip on the V5, the dvla would have informed them that it needed VIC testing. They then sold the car knowing full well that they couldn't tax it or do anything with it.

That car needs to go back to the garage and do not leave until you get your money back.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Regardless of the arguments we've had in this thread, the garage/trader are at fault.

When they sent off the yellow slip on the V5, the dvla would have informed them that it needed VIC testing. They then sold the car knowing full well that they couldn't tax it or do anything with it.

That car needs to go back to the garage and do not leave until you get your money back.

Agreed, I would probably call citizens advise first, this sort of thing is exactly what they are there for, they will give you advise on how to proceed from here.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Quick update. The car has just blown up. Stuck at little chef j5 m180. So angry it's untrue. Gonna be payin the robbing c***s and Harris of Wakefield a visit and if they dont refund us burn them an there s**t hole garage to the ground.
We think the top or bottom end has gone. Pissing coolent faster than we can fill it and engine is ticking and just dies on trying to move it. Total total nightmare.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Quick update. The car has just blown up. Stuck at little chef j5 m180. So angry it's untrue. Gonna be payin the robbing c**ts and Harris of Wakefield a visit and if they dont refund us burn them an there s**t hole garage to the ground.
We think the top or bottom end has gone. Pissing coolent faster than we can fill it and engine is ticking and just dies on trying to move it. Total total nightmare.

Either delete that post or edit it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Woah woah woah, you were driving a car with no VIC?? So no tax, no mot and effectively no insurance??

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
She has been stoppe by the pork numerous times in it and all comes back clear in checks cos its taxed and insured.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Whatever. Either way were stuck. And my 28 yr old yank tank is more reliable than the tiny French disaster. And no doubt admin will ban me for my comments. Ahh well.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
It actually sure mate. A while back I presume. The garage we got it from taxed and mot it so must have been done by a "friend" I think. Hence why we thought it was all kosher. Sigh. I feel for Laura tho. First car and she's been robbed by a bunch of cowboys. She doesn't even want to replace it now. Doesn't want to drive at all. Totally put off by he whole experience. In fairness I can't say I blame her.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The last Cat C I got tucked up with couldn't be taxed as the post office wouldn't do it.

They scanned the barcode on the green slip and it came up as logbook invalid.

This is all proper wierd.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
That's what I thought surely when they tried to tax it it would have set alarms ringing at the dvla. The whole thing is bizarre. Makes you wonder if there paying the post office as well or something. If you google the garage there are numerous terrible stories involving them. It's a very dodgy business tbh. But they come
Across so nice when you handing over sums of money.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
knight rider, pm me the reg. I'll do this one free of charge.