ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start - No electrics - short circuiting!!!!

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there

I had bad earth connection problems with my car for the battery. I moved the earth so it goes battery to engine block. Is this a bad thing?

Now the car ticks over but wont start? Inside the car none of the electrics work but the immobilizer light flickers and the oil and temperature light are on too even if the key is not in the ignition? When i flick the interior light on and off (even though it doesn't go on) those lights that are on flick too and the radio flicks on and off??? My guess is that it is short circuiting??? Also when i pres the key button to lock and unlock the car u hear the noise but nothing happens. There also a ticking noise coming from the relays? How do u test relays? However when i was shaking the key in the ignition trying to start it my lights all worked for abit and my fuel came up like normal but as soon as i turned it for it to tick over it all went back again????????

Could this new earth F**ked something up? What is wrong please help. Ive checked all the fuses they are all ok. Could it be the relays or even the TDC sensor (where is this located if so).

Please help me.....

clio 172
hi im no expert mate but sounds like electrics are going garrety so shorting can do this if i was you remove any new earths and put back see what works and what dosnt then go from there sounds to me like its getting power but not enough when a battery is low this can happen so check your battery mate you may have killed it things will go to fire up then flick off then try to fire up again then fire up hope this is of some help mate but basicly start by putting back then checking battery

phil

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hey phil thanx for the help, my battery is full ive charged it up to 100%. The original earth was SH*T and my car wouldnt even turn over, but ill give it another go tomoz and get back ;D

clio 172
cool hope you sort it sounds to me like a definate bad earth or power surge sounds like the earth is not quite up to standard

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there ive found the problem but dont know how to fix it.. It was a bad earth. If i have the earth going from the battery to the body (original setup) then the car wont even tick over. But as soon as i add a jump lead from the battery to the engine block it starts perfectly. What does this mean? in a way i am bypassing the connection from the body to the chassis?

clio 172
it sounds to me like an earth is missing from the engine somewere im pretty sure tht the engine is earthed here or there

clio 172
nope mate its bout 20mm wide and if you know were the bottom gear box mount is youll find it easy

its a beast ahaahha

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
i found it, it wasnt the tdc, it was an earth that went from the body to the engine/gear box. It had snapped, so i did a new earth from the top of the battery to the body and also from the top of the battery to the engine block and it starts and everything fine except....

The battery light on the dashboard is on saying its the alternator not working and its running off the battery, however my alternator is working? what could cause this?

clio 172
THTS WHAT I SAID AHAHAH can you not just replace that earth without all the others just take you jump lead and re earth whats broke see what happens