ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car radiator pouring with water, over heating

Fabia vrs tdi
Car started to over heat today, water was pouring out the bottom of the radiator and when I filled up the coolant with water it was draining strait back out.

I filled it with about 8 litres of water and it's seems to only be leaking very slowly from the radiator why would that be?

Anyway it's stopped over heating and the water/coolant level doesn't seem to be dropping- does this mean I've just had a small leak and over time it's just ran out of coolant and over heated?

I'll check it again tomorrow and see how much it's dropped but I'm guessing I'll need a new radiator as that's where the leaks from the bottom middle of it.

May be cracked, one of mine did on the bottom..

Probably cheaper trying to get a second hander, think they are fairly pricey new! I think 172Ben still has the one he took off his car

Fabia vrs tdi
I'll get it looked at tomorrow, a friend looked at it said it's burst or he thinks it is.

if it's broke I'll look into a 2nd hand one I did a search on here think I can get an aftermarket one for £80

Yeah, ive paid £20-30 for second handers before, bit of a saving over new. Ive seen one split in the middle too, thought it was raining then realised it was spraying out the front

Fabia vrs tdi
This seemed to be coming from the very bottom, just unusual it was pouring out now it's dripping it very slowly it was leaking out faster than it was going in lol now it's not :-/

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Is it worth getting a 2nd hand one, I think not tbh unless it's as new....
As for not leaking as much now that will be down to it been cooler and it will open up more once it heats up and expands!

Fabia vrs tdi
when it was empty and I had the heating on full the heat wasn't hot just warm but once topped up with loads of water it got very warm.

Sorry what do you mean under pressure? It might be ok if it's a small leak I'll just keep an eye on it I can't afford to fix it till the end of October

Clio 172 ph1.
I had a similar situation it was down to the fan housing warping with the heat over time and vibrating a tiny hole into the radiator. And all I could see was the fluid coming out the bottom. So make sure cause is found as well as treating the symptoms.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The water gets hot and expands, thus causing more pressure on the system. when mine went around the same area it quickly got worse so be careful leaving it that long.

Fabia vrs tdi
It has over heated a couple of times but sorted itself out so sounds like it's just slowly got worse. I'll look into a radiator now and get it sorted.

I'll also make sure what's caused it incase it happens again

Westy. MX5
You can buy new ones from £50, I tried a 2nd. hand one it was just as bad as my original. So ended up with one from Coolparts in B'Ham. Have a search on Ebay, there a couple off traders selling them.

Westy. MX5
Try searching for all Clio radiators then look at the diagrams to see which one is the same as yours. The diagrams also give the core and external measurements and whether a/c or not.

Fabia vrs tdi
I'm getting a radiator fitted as I type £150 supplied and fitted - the guy took one out said it looks the same as one he has in stock lol, I assume that it's the same just said if it doesn't I won't pay.

Fabia vrs tdi
They had the front bumper off to fit it I didn't think this was needed :-/ main thing is it's sorted, I doubt I'd have managed to fit it myself I've no patience

Here are the major problem that you might encounter with your radiator:

- Cracked radiator - (Needs to be replaced)
- Thermostat is not functioning well. - (Needs to be replaced)