ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I connect my mac mini to a home cinema system?

Z4
Not sure about 'true' or what you mean by that, but I get 5.1 out of mine..

You need one of these for the mini.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=29296 that goes in the headphone port and makes it so you can connect and optical cable.

Hard to explain, but when watching a film in true 5.1 and for instance a train goes past, each speaker has its own job to make it genuinely sound as if a train is going past, rather than all the speakers making the same noise if you're with me?

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
^^ I know what you mean. I have a mac mini with a surround sound but it isnt "true" surround sound as each speaker plays the same sound. I dont know how it would work with the surround sound your looking at getting but i would of thought you would need a 5.1 sound card, (dont quote me on this im no geek) but i've seen some external 5.1 sound cards as i know the mac mini doesnt have one.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/external-usb-sound-audio-box-card-adapter-p-24383.html

Fiesta ST
Hard to explain, but when watching a film in true 5.1 and for instance a train goes past, each speaker has its own job to make it genuinely sound as if a train is going past, rather than all the speakers making the same noise if you're with me?

Surely that what Dolby Digital is? are you getting confused with the old 'Dolby Pro Logic'?

Mac Mini should just pass the digital sound onto the amp and then the amp separates/processes the sound into the relavant channels.

Z4
Surely that what Dolby Digital is? are you confused with the old 'Dolby Pro Logic'?

Mac Mini should just pass the digital sound onto the amp and then the amp separates/processes the sound into the relavant channels.

that does sound as though it makes sense...

does anyone know for sure though?