ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anybody help? Car engine turns over but does not start...sometimes...

Clio
Please bear with me, as I really do not know anything about cars. I have a clio authentique 60 8V (2003). Recently, when I have been going to get in the car and starting it it has not been starting. The lights come on, on the dashboard, the engine turns over but it does not start. Eventually it does, it can take 40 minutes sometimes.... I've had breakdown out to it but every time they come it starts so they don't do anything! They have told me it was the key not being recognised or something, so I bought a new one but the problem persists. It had a new starter motor in 2012, somebody mentioned it could be something to do with this. I've looked on the internet and this seems to be a common problem but I still am not sure what the fault is. Does anybody know? thank you

Hi LauranS

On clios, there is a sensor called the TDC sensor, if these wear out or get quite dirty (which they will via their method of operation) the car will turn over, but won't start.

If your key wasn't being authorised to start the car - look at the red immob light on the dash

Slow flicker - immobiliser armed
Key in turn, light goes solid then out - Immobiliser disarmed, car will turn over and should start (if it turns and turns and turns, but doesnt fire, it's likely the TDC sensor needs repalced)
Key in turn, light flashes fast - immobiliser doesnt recognise the key. The car will turn over and might fire, but the immobiliser will cut it out very quickly.

A new sensor is not overly expensive i think, it's usually attached by 2x 10mm hex bolts on the side of the engine. If you search on here for 'TDC sensor' you'll find a wealth of articles about them.
You can remove said sensor and clean it with brake/carb cleaner and give it another lease of life for a while. however, eventually it will need replaced i think.

I hope this solves your problem or at least goes some way to helping!

this video shows you the TDC sensor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NOrcxaxoZY It's a little dark but should show you it.
This RenaultForums thread shows you it step-by-step, with pictures :) http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=757343

Last edited: