ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying the iphone in america

Merc A class
Hey Guys

Is there any way it can be unlocked when you bring it back into the Uk?

Thanks Riad

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Good idea! I can imagine how much you would save!

I think it'll be at&t locked or something, so jailbreaking it might work!

I had thought of this, going in Oct, the only problem would be activating it. I also couldn't find the price on the apple sites :(

Yep you should be able to unlock it just like the ones here.

I got a 1st gen before they were out here from the states and it worked fine. :)

Are they still factory unlocked in Italy? I'm going tomorrow and may get a couple.

That I don't know, but perusing the apple.com website before I bought mine second handI had a looky and couldn't see them for sale as just phones/PAYG. All I could see were 40$ contracts . . .

Merc A class
There 99$ 1st gen from america just that naiths going and was going to get him to get me one as i need a new phone not really bothered about the 3gs

Pretty much lad, but you know what the US are like, once it's obsolete, it might as well go in the bin. Bit like the Jap car scene with cars over a certain age. They all get shipped off to Aus and NZ. TOTR performance cars for peanuts!

Barge
I'd buy a 3GS fo sho. I was looking at a 2G on Saturday and they're soooo slow in comparision it's unbelievable.

You don't have to buy it on contract, you can buy it outright, IIRC, as I was going to get one last year but then 'new' 3G wasn't in the Apple Stores. Just do what folks have said and JB it when you get back. :)

That's because of the Jap MOT scheme iirc.

Exactly fella.

So is it worth buying the 3gs? Can that be unlocked to work over here?

Defo worth buying at least a 3G Riad mate, if not the better one. Depends on budget of course.

I'd buy a 3GS fo sho. I was looking at a 2G on Saturday and they're soooo slow in comparision it's unbelievable.

You don't have to buy it on contract, you can buy it outright, IIRC, as I was going to get one last year but then 'new' 3G wasn't in the Apple Stores. Just do what folks have said and JB it when you get back. :)

Any ideas on price lover? Can't find the phone only as it was something I looked at before I bought mine.

Barge
Depends on the size, I'm sure they do 4GB ones over in the US too. I'm sure it was around the $350 mark last year, but that was the 2G not 3G (as it wasn't out when I was there, it was awaiting release).

I'd say the 32GB 3GS will be around $500 dollar mark, looking at what we're charged over here.

Barge
You didn't last year, maybe it's changed. But I walked in, asked, they said "Yes, you can just buy it ma'am" "Ah cool, but it won't work in the UK?" "No, you'll have to crack it" "Ah no ta, there's a new one out soon anyway. I'll just use your free internet for 15 mins. Kthxbai."

Merc A class
Exactly fella.

Defo worth buying at least a 3G Riad mate, if not the better one. Depends on budget of course.

Any ideas on price lover? Can't find the phone only as it was something I looked at before I bought mine.

Yeah i dont mind about price i was going to go on contract but i thought if i could find it cheaper on pay as you go then i will go with that

Merc A class
That was my thought process/findings.

Worth the question while over there I guess.

Riad, get bro to ask for me as well, might pop in when I go in Oct.

Ok will do!

Looks like il be sticking to the iphone 3g