ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buy 172/182/Valver/spare dci/track car

A few ideas and problems Ive got hoping someone has some ideas about what I can do.

Basically my dci just went over 39k today and at this rate 50k is about 6 months off.

Since dcis can start to have problem at about 50k with turbos an injectors playing up and since I know this is due to the high pressure injectors. I want to try and think up some sort of protection since £800 for 4 injecotors + fitment isnt my idea of a cheap to run car.

Ive been thinking of a few idea how to not run up into these bill one get a new car either 182/172 or a quick new/newish Vag diesel.

However the problem is track days. My car isnt exactly the best for these 65hp has its weekness even with coilovers and Id like somehting a bit quicker. Also Im worried about damage* since I need my car for work if I break something I still need to drive it there the next day. One idea would be to get a cheap valver or track car so that I dont need to insure it for the track and if it breaks so long as I can bring it home there no problem I can fit it when I get the time.

So what to do? Anyone any idea do I buy a 172/182 and use it for track day work and pay the insurance or buy a cheap Mk1 172 for normal driving and a valver for track days or kep the dci but a valver for track days and possibly buy a whole new dci engine so when/if the injectors/turbo fails just swop the whole engine and box over and have it taken to Renault to get set up to run properly?

I like the idea of keeping the dci since its cheap to run for the 17k driving but the other 4k/yr is fun miles so something like a valver would be more suitable.

* my stearing is already wierd maybe its just out of alignemnt or full of mud. Also Ive bust the mudguard and got loads of grass in the front splitter etc from the last track day

Ps not sure if this is the right thread.

Renault Laguna Coupe

If you end up with 2 cars youll need a lottery win to run them. Ive never had an accident on a trackday (yeah I know last week was a bit mental!). I have to use my car for work and Id be in the sh*t if it was off the road, but IMO its still worth the risk.

Get the car you want to drive, and drive it. Commuting, trackdays, 1/4 mile racing etc. That way you enjoy your motoring all the time.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 February 2005

If you end up with 2 cars youll need a lottery win to run them. Ive never had an accident on a trackday (yeah I know last week was a bit mental!). I have to use my car for work and Id be in the sh*t if it was off the road, but IMO its still worth the risk.
Get the car you want to drive, and drive it. Commuting, trackdays, 1/4 mile racing etc. That way you enjoy your motoring all the time.
I dont care about commuting. Also Id prefere a track day car to be a proper track day car and stripped out which isnt usable every day.

Buying just one car and I might end up looking at V6s which definatly would have to stay off the track.

As for needing a lottery win a second car shouldnt be that much to run the fuel saving sould cover the extra costs.

12k at 55mpg vs 35mpg is about £450/yr saving it costs £85 road fund MOTs are free and one service ever 18k is about £200. Insurance is covered under one policy for very little and propably less than having one quick car on it.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Fair play, you obviously have more parking spaces than me! I wanted to keep my 172 as a 100% trackday car, but it just didnt work - where to park it etc.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

My advice... DONT DO IT !!! It all sounds so great in principle... but having to park a trailer, tow car and track car as well as my everyday car Im constantly playing car/driveway/garage shuffle... Then theres hubbys car...

COST... hidden ones, this week for instance, new tyres all round for the trailer... £47 a corner x 5 as two of the ones on there had perished and I wanted proper trailer tyres...

I havent had the track car out this year, so I might be sounding a bit negative atm... talk to me in a few weeks...

It feels like a toy I cant take out of the box to play with, but with loads of expence...

I guess like a high maintenence girl friend...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

deisal system components are very long lasting. if the fuel filter is changed regulary they last ok. there is very little to wear in an injector as the needle moves a very small amount. its that small you wouldnt be able to se it with the human eye. the electrical solenoid is more likely to pack in if anything.the pump shouldnt really wear as the deisal keeps it fully lubrucated. the main killer of a dci injection system would be poor fuel quality or dirt getting in the system. we service a few clio 1.5 dci at work which belong to a delivery firm and there on 140k plus with no problems as of yet.

54 astravan 1.7tdci

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 20 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 February 2005

I dont care about commuting. Also Id prefere a track day car to be a proper track day car and stripped out which isnt usable every day.

Buying just one car and I might end up looking at V6s which definatly would have to stay off the track.

As for needing a lottery win a second car shouldnt be that much to run the fuel saving sould cover the extra costs.

12k at 55mpg vs 35mpg is about £450/yr saving it costs £85 road fund MOTs are free and one service ever 18k is about £200. Insurance is covered under one policy for very little and propably less than having one quick car on it.
get a v6

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I have 2 vehicals to drive and works out well. Drive the deisel during the week and the cup at the weekend although the cup is still standard.

I am on the look out at the moment for a 16/w track car as untill im ready to prep the cup i dont want to use it on the track although i have done already...its not the best idea as its not ready just yet.

Having 2/3 cars can be expensive but i rekon it can work out alot better, and if i have a knock in the track car i still got a cup and deisel sitting in the garage.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 20 February 2005

if the fuel filter is changed regulary they last ok.

the electrical solenoid is more likely to pack in if anything.

the main killer of a dci injection system would be poor fuel quality or dirt getting in the system.

we service a few clio 1.5 dci at work which belong to a delivery firm and there on 140k
Thats what Ive been thinking that they should last for 100k+ ie longer than the body and I do run on Shell etc fuel. Im not sure if it is the cheap diesel which causes problems if it is then Im safe.

When you say the fuel filters chnaged often how often do you think is acceptable?

As for having space on the drive for another car well there isnt any however we are enlarging the drive slightly and could get another car in there. Also I could just leave the car at work in the car park there as its huge.

I was thinking about a track car still road legal though Im not that hard core.