ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

340i
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

The megane injectors are a little little upgrade... you are at the limit of the standard 172 injectors with ITB's / cams, as previously said.

You can pick up a set of brand new megane injectors for £160.

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

That is cheaper than I thought it would be! Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade and take the strain off standards

220 Trophy

Yes they have worked out really well Mark and I'm really happy with the power it's made, the Polo rad is a really good option from the pictures I have seen of them fitted it does look to create a good amount of space.

The car will be definitely be there but I'm away skiing for the week so I'm not around unfortunately! I'm sure Matt will take you for a spin in it if you wanted as I have said he is more than welcome to use it as a promo/ test car whenever he likes :) (It doesn't like driving on the roads though ;))

Yes that is what we discussed the other day and megane injectors are the way forward, I wasn't expecting the clio could handle anymore power than it has got but it manages it so well that in the long term there is potential with the car to handle a fair bit more power but that will be a few years down the line for me ;)

Ahhh sorry, Yes well we have a small piece of nimbus and Matt did say we are going to fit some more heat shield between now and Donington :)
Yes I think on the dyno at one stage mine were at 100% so we have lifted away from that a little to keep it running safe :)

Apparently the Polo rads are only circa £50 and as my original is 10 years old it probably won’t hurt to pop in a new one anyway.

Shame you won’t be, but will take you up on a quick spin with Matt then, probably will be a bad idea for my credit-card though.

The injectors will be part of the engine project along with the cams, head-work, re-map and a clean/tart-up, but with having to add the cost of a cam-belt service it soon adds up. Have the bearings/wishbone/front ARB project to pay for first and then the polycarb window project will be next.

With the Clio being so light and the suspension so stiff, even on its softest setting, 200bhp let alone 215/220 is just too much on the road. On the track it’s great and the car handles it really well and like you say could probably handle more…..

Yes Mark they are around that price and seem a popular route to go down.

It would of been good to meet you and see the car but I'm sure we will cross paths at some point at TDF, Haha lol ;)

Yes it certainly does, but it sounds like you have some really good plans for it!

I can imagine it is as mine was jumping all over the place but then mine was never designed to be good to drive on the roads :) I will look forward to hearing how you get on with it Mark and good luck!

182cup & 172 racecar

Everybody likes our Polo rad idea ;) it does do the job.

220 Trophy

Yes Mark they are around that price and seem a popular route to go down.

It would of been good to meet you and see the car but I'm sure we will cross paths at some point at TDF, Haha lol ;)

Yes it certainly does, but it sounds like you have some really good plans for it!

I can imagine it is as mine was jumping all over the place but then mine was never designed to be good to drive on the roads :) I will look forward to hearing how you get on with it Mark and good luck!

Thanks James I look forward to seeing your car at TDF and hopefully meeting you at some point.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

Was the power steering system drained during the build of the car?

Might not be the case in this instance but I've seen it before when a recently filled system PAS appears to be overheating, spewing frothy stuff out the lid of the reservoir, when infact it was a very small amount of air trapped in the system, can work fine when it's not being worked hard but once it gets some heat in it, the air expands and makes the fluid go frothy, once it goes like that, it's a viscous cycle and only way to sort is to drain and refill.

If it is genuinely overheating a 115mm 7 row oil cooler (pretty much the smallest one you can get) will do the trick and easy to find a space for. Considering one of these for my car but given the minimal time I'll be running the car for, might not be needed.

Hi Kenny, Yes I think it was. The tank was taken out so presume it would need draining, It didn't seem to be frothy just the fluid was leaking from the cap and seemed like it had boiled over but thanks for the suggestion and I will double check.

Matt did mention this on the day so might be worth looking into :) I think when the car runs slicks in the future it will magnify the issue also so keen to resolve it now! Thanks again

182cup & 172 racecar

We don't get any trouble with our's at all,strange one that.

SPH

2002 172

Hi Kenny, Yes I think it was. The tank was taken out so presume it would need draining, It didn't seem to be frothy just the fluid was leaking from the cap and seemed like it had boiled over but thanks for the suggestion and I will double check.

Interested to see the outcome of this, here in Australia, I get the same problem with PAS fluid leaking - it seeped yesterday after about 10 laps at Phillip Island but it was over 30*C.

Are you thinking about just shielding and putting in a bigger tank ?

Interested to see the outcome of this, here in Australia, I get the same problem with PAS fluid leaking - it seeped yesterday after about 10 laps at Phillip Island but it was over 30*C.

Are you thinking about just shielding and putting in a bigger tank ?
Yes for now that is the plan and see if it fixes it, if not then a small cooler but their will be extra weight with this option so would rather avoid it! I will update with any findings :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Glad it went well!

Sounds like a perfect shakedown!

How comes it makes 215bhp on std injectors without having hi comp pistons?

thought these injectors were maxed out at 205bhp?

I've got some new meg ones for my new engine :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Removing aircon frees up about 5bhp iirc, so it's about normal really. The torque from the longer trumpets is impressive

Thank you Porkie I was over the moon :) I'm not too sure but I have seen a few cars run similar figures on stock injectors.

I saw the pictures of your engine parts yesterday Porkie looks like its going to be an awesome one when built up :)! Good luck with it and hopefully see you at a trackday one day!

Yes Jonny I wasn't expecting that torque really so was a nice surprise! It feels and sounds nothing like the original engine :)!

Glad it went well!

Sounds like a perfect shakedown!

How comes it makes 215bhp on std injectors without having hi comp pistons?

thought these injectors were maxed out at 205bhp?

I've got some new meg ones for my new engine :)

13:1 compression with suitable cams and head gives around 225bhp in my experience. Supported power output of the stock injectors is entirely dependant on what AFRs you are aiming for. James runs 13:1 at 7500RPM, most aim at least half a ratio richer than that.

182cup & 172 racecar

Matt,do you now think we should consider these other injectors for ours?

(please make it simple for me to understand old boy:eek:)

Matt,do you now think we should consider these other injectors for ours?

(please make it simple for me to understand old boy:eek:)

If it's likely to make more than 215'ish then yes! :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Ah,fank you kind sir.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Yes for now that is the plan and see if it fixes it, if not then a small cooler but their will be extra weight with this option so would rather avoid it! I will update with any findings :)

Have you not considered a water cooled power steering reservoir? Shouldn't add much extra weight either tbh. You can get laminova ones as well if your feeling particularly flush!!

182cup & 172 racecar

Saxo electric,sorted.;)

Have you not considered a water cooled power steering reservoir? Shouldn't add much extra weight either tbh. You can get laminova ones as well if your feeling particularly flush!!
Can't say I even realised this would be an option. I'm really not very technically minded but I presumed that powersteering fluid should never get all that hot so by water-cooling it your already going to be putting heat into it. But thats because I have no clue at what temp it the fluid should run lol ;)!

Saxo electric,sorted.;)
What was your original reason for fitting it Tony? Was it prempting the overheating issue or something else? Has it worked well? Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar

What was your original reason for fitting it Tony? Was it prempting the overheating issue or something else? Has it worked well? Thanks

No,just less work for the engine to do,plus it's handy when pushing the car around,we just flick it on.

Never had any trouble with overheating.

Ah okay, I see yes that would would be a handy bonus! Thanks for letting me know and I'll have a chat with Matt and work out what to do :)

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member

PAS? Poofs ;)

Great thread so far, looking forward to seeing it done :)

Lotus Elise

Had a good look at this car today and WOW! Matt and the team have built a truly mind blowing car. This project just oozes intelligents and attention to detail, even down to sexy little electronic tricks that no one will ever really notice. Its a work of art, now get out there and get winning!!!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Can't say I even realised this would be an option. I'm really not very technically minded but I presumed that powersteering fluid should never get all that hot so by water-cooling it your already going to be putting heat into it. But thats because I have no clue at what temp it the fluid should run lol ;)!

Yeah when it's under load all the time it generates a good bit of heat tbh. It starts to break down when it gets to hot which is not good. That's when it starts doing damage to the pump and rack.

Lotus Elise

Yeah when it's under load all the time it generates a good bit of heat tbh. It starts to break down when it gets to hot which is not good. That's when it starts doing damage to the pump and rack.

I boiled mine at Donny :eek: needed a new pump and belt.

Lionel Richie

clio PAS pumps weren't designed for hero spec driving though sam, consider the stock pump is widley used on 1.2's etc

Thanks again everyone for the comments :D
PAS? Poofs ;)
I thought this myself and wondered about just scrapping it but I doubt it's very practical and also especially if we end up doing endurance in the future as I wouldn't fancy a 4 hour stint with no PAS ;)

Had a good look at this car today and WOW! Matt and the team have built a truly mind blowing car. This project just oozes intelligents and attention to detail, even down to sexy little electronic tricks that no one will ever really notice. Its a work of art, now get out there and get winning!!!
Thank you Sam, They really have and I can't keep thanking them enough for all their work! I just want to be out their driving it instead of sat here working :( Some of the stuff they have done is so beyond what I expected and I still have no clue how Matt has made all the electrics work so seamlessly! I will try my best ;)
I really hope it hasn't damaged the pump or rack but I guess only time will tell! We will make sure to get a modification sorted before the next running :) Thanks
I boiled mine at Donny :eek: needed a new pump and belt.
Donny is where its going next so hopefully mine won't have the same fate! Never had an issue in the 197 pounding round all day so touch wood :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I can't see that the pump would be knackered this time tbh. It's mainly after repeated abuse that they cry no more.

Hopefully not, it certainly seemed fine even at the end of the day so I will keep my fingers crossed :)

A tank with another 750ml of capacity is even lighter and simpler though ;)

Saxo electric,sorted.;)

Great for sprint, not so great for endurance where every amp has to count and it's nearly 20 we can't spare with all the electrics James will have for endurance/night.

Hopefully not, it certainly seemed fine even at the end of the day so I will keep my fingers crossed :)

It will be fine ;) All it needs is a tank with a 750 - 1L greater capacity to increase the thermal mass of the fluid and some of this:

RED30404_1_lg.jpg

Job jobbed :)

Golf GTD Mk7

Great for sprint, not so great for endurance where every amp has to count and it's nearly 20 we can't spare with all the electrics James will have for endurance/night.

how come that's an issue mate? Battery too small?

Last edited:

how come that's an issue mate? Battery too small?

Alternator output. We don't want to change away from a stock cup alternator but in an endurance car where for night use you'll have 6 X HID's, Apex lights, regular cooling fan action etc. etc. on the go we just don't have the amps for it in the alternator. Electro-Hydraulic PAS is great for sprint and road car use but not so good for endurance, even with no load but the pump running it pulls around 13AMPS and can peak at 60AMPS draw when loaded heavily.

The ideal solution is EPAS where a motor assists the coloumn directly. This has zero draw in the neutral position and only draws as assistance is applied. It's what we use on the Mosler etc. and is lovely but a couple of K to put in there so a pricey option!