ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

220 Trophy
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I’ll try and post a photo up at the weekend when I have a bit more time.

It’ll be there on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] for a couple of weeks having the wishbone kit and bearings fitting if you’re around.

I actually saw your car a few months ago, was stripped and having the seat supports welded in. All I can say it looked a very substantial cage!!

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Thanks, Yes i'm sure I will be as hoping to do Donington on the 17th Feb so will be around at some point the previous week.

Yes we decided from the start of the project to go all out on the cage and get it right from the start as it would be a pain to ever modify it :)!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i need to sit down and read through this properly (when i have more time) rather than just scanning it,
however it looks like an amazing build... some things are very similar to mine, but some look a darn sight better...

i am glad matt will be working on mine soon also, engine seems like a similar spec / power to mine also so its good to see his reputation is increasing....

sure i will be posting back in here shortly.

This looks awesome!

Will keep an eye on this thread :)

172 Race Car

Heard a lot about this car over the last few months. Must say nothing ive seen has surprised me. I expected it to be brilliant and it is

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Holy s**t that looks good!

Clinically built! :D

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Good read thanks!

Interested why u said the only off the self option was Wilwood. What about the AP kit?

I have the wilwoods... They work ok but they just eat pads and discs. Probably not helped by the little pads!I go through a set of pads per track day and a set of discs every other one. Where are the Ap's on my lotus last 5 and at least 10!

Will get the AP kit I think. It goes under 15's fine

Golf GTD Mk7
Ap kit is not far off the price of these iirc. Probably matts suggestion as they are used on the cup cars

Merc A class

Awesome Matt! will it be testing at Oulton anytime soon?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Ap kit is not far off the price of these iirc. Probably matts suggestion as they are used on the cup cars
Thought cup cars used standard calipers... Pretty sure they did. Not saying these brakes are not better. Just thought it was weird saying there was no other off the shelf option.

Golf GTD Mk7
Thought cup cars used standard calipers... Pretty sure they did. Not saying these brakes are not better. Just thought it was weird saying there was no other off the shelf option.

Ap aren't off the shelf though are they? Thought they were 5 stud and required brackets? They look good though. D4ve used to run them :approve:

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments, Matt really has done an awesome job and I can't wait to se it next weekend :)

Porkie, Interesting with how frequently you have to change the pads on the Wilwoods I didn't realise they would eat the pads/ discs that quickly! The main reason we didn't go with the Wilwoods is due to the pad surface area actually been smaller than the stock pad. The AP racing setup looks really good although AP say it would only work with the 16" rims or above and AP state you need to leave clearance of 3mm so a total inner clearance of 337mm the 15" wheels that I will be running have an inner clearance of ~330mm. I presume that is why Matt has left them off his post :)

Jonny, I'm fairly sure the cup race cars did run the standard calliper as Porkie has said but the ones that Matt sourced for this were the ones on the WSR touring car.

i had a good look at it saturday when i dropped my car off with Matt... it looks superb, some very very very nice touches, and with the cage and seating designed to sit you so far back (how the **** you reach the pedals is beyond me!) weight distribution is gonna be soooooo much better than stock...

nice to see you`ve gone with the reacros too instead of those HUGE winged sabelt things!!

the matt grey looks proper!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Same Brake as mine fitted on the rallycar....

182cup & 172 racecar

The seat is so far back as James is about 7ft tall,I'd never reach the pedals either.

haha i did question the seat position a few times when fitting the seat bars and was reassured he was a big fella....

i had a good look at it saturday when i dropped my car off with Matt... it looks superb, some very very very nice touches, and with the cage and seating designed to sit you so far back (how the **** you reach the pedals is beyond me!) weight distribution is gonna be soooooo much better than stock...

nice to see you`ve gone with the reacros too instead of those HUGE winged sabelt things!!

the matt grey looks proper!!
Hi Stu, Thank you very much :) Did you try sitting in it? Everyone that I have seen sit in it has managed to reach the pedals the steering wheel was initially the problem for one person but that has been sorted now lol! Yes that was the original intension so looking forward to running it and see how it goes.

Haha I'm afraid they may not be in for too long as Sabelt messed up the mould on the existing ones so new moulds are been made now and then a new one will be sent ;) the wings shouldn't of been how they were so it will be better on the new seats. I've still got the existing two seats in my loft lol
Same Brake as mine fitted on the rallycar....
Do you like them? Is it easy enough to get replacement pads/ spares etc?

The seat is so far back as James is about 7ft tall,I'd never reach the pedals either.
It's been moved forward by about 40-50mm now Tony and I think if you tried it I'm sure you would manage although I appreciate for some drivers it may be quite a compromise. We will have to try it sometime! :)
haha i did question the seat position a few times when fitting the seat bars and was reassured he was a big fella....
Haha lol :p Its the passenger side thats going to be funny if I ever have anyone small in the seat they won't be able to see a thing!

i have freakishly short legs and long torso.....

if you have a look in my 106 @ Matts when you go there you`ll see my oddball driving position!!

i also challenge you to climb in over the doorbars, PLEASE get Matt to film it if you do hahahahahahahahaha

back on topic with yours, i was also impressed with the poly windows, the o/e black border on the rears keeps it looking very neat!!

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny, I'm fairly sure the cup race cars did run the standard calliper as Porkie has said but the ones that Matt sourced for this were the ones on the WSR touring car.

Yeah sorry mate they did us standards. Should have put wtcc :eek:

i have freakishly short legs and long torso.....

if you have a look in my 106 @ Matts when you go there you`ll see my oddball driving position!!

i also challenge you to climb in over the doorbars, PLEASE get Matt to film it if you do hahahahahahahahaha

back on topic with yours, i was also impressed with the poly windows, the o/e black border on the rears keeps it looking very neat!!
Haha well if its there on Friday/ Saturday depending on which day I'm going then I will have a look but I think this challenge sounds like I will probably fail ;) I originally struggled with mine but have mastered it after all the time of jumping in and practicing with authentic rev'ing noises :eek: It will be good to see yours Stu as it sounds like you have put a lot of work into it and I saw how you had done the fuel tank... Simply EPIC work!

Thank you, they were Matt's choice as I originally specced different ones but his choice were definitely best :)
Yeah sorry mate they did us standards. Should have put wtcc :eek:
I wasn't 100% sure myself mate but presumed that they did the same as with 197 and retained standard one :)

I can't begin to tell you how much I wanted to spec my engine to the same spec as yours but unfortunately the budget wouldn't allow me to :(! From what Matt has told me it's certainly a peach :)

Golf GTD Mk7
It's is a strong little beast. Matts boys know how to build cracking engines :) it'll be interesting to see what yours pulls.

It's is a strong little beast. Matts boys know how to build cracking engines :) it'll be interesting to see what yours pulls.
It certainly is, I bet its great to drive :) That they do, I know it should be mapped early part of the week and then ready for the weekend so it will be good to see what it makes! Although I would still be getting as excited even if it had the standard engine :D

Golf GTD Mk7

Did you get your cable throttle pedal from a ph1 or is that Matt's kit?

Just noticed the gear stick has been moved back about a foot. how have they done that mate? New linkages I assume.

Last edited:

Did you get your cable throttle pedal from a ph1 or is that Matt's kit?

Just noticed the gear stick has been moved back about a foot. how have they done that mate? New linkages I assume.
Yes the cable throttle is supplied with the ITB kit Jonny and its a really nice touch as some of the other ITB kits I've seen use a standard rubber pedal which looks odd against the others!

I'm not 100% sure about the technical side of it but Matt got a mounting made up using the flow jet for the gearstick housing to mount and then this was welded into position, then all of the housing was stripped down and used various parts to create the assembly in the picture. I think they have either lengthened the original linkage or just made another from scratch but I do remember Matt saying he had incorporated an adjuster in it so that it can be tweaked :) I am yet to fully try the new linkage but it looks good and is a much better position for me!

Clio 172

Never mind reach them from that distance I'd have trouble seeing them.

Epic build by the way Ash, look forward to seeing this beast in the metal and on the move.

Last edited:

Never mind reach them from that distance I'd have trouble seeing them.

Epic build by the way Ash, look forward to seeing this beast in the metal and on the move.
Haha secretly did it so my missus can't drive it ;) No but seriously its surprising when you sit in it, its mainly the steering wheel that was the issue and we have now sorted that out with a Q/R which pushes it closer to the driver and if needs be for two driver events we can have a second steering wheel with a spacer to bring it even closer and then attach a second boss onto the wheel so a driver with shorter arms can jump in the car and just put their wheel on :)

Thank you very much, Well its going to be a bit of a track day sl*g for the first few months so will hopefully bump into you at one of them :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

What track days have you got planned James?

Golf GTD Mk7

Yes the cable throttle is supplied with the ITB kit Jonny and its a really nice touch as some of the other ITB kits I've seen use a standard rubber pedal which looks odd against the others!

I'm not 100% sure about the technical side of it but Matt got a mounting made up using the flow jet for the gearstick housing to mount and then this was welded into position, then all of the housing was stripped down and used various parts to create the assembly in the picture. I think they have either lengthened the original linkage or just made another from scratch but I do remember Matt saying he had incorporated an adjuster in it so that it can be tweaked :) I am yet to fully try the new linkage but it looks good and is a much better position for me!

I meant just the pedal sorry mate. Didn't think Matts version looked OE.

Nice touch on the gear stick. Much better for your driving position being like th BFG ;) Did the steering position get adjusted?

What track days have you got planned James?
Hi Colin, at the moment we are aiming for this Saturday as the shakedown test for the car at Snetterton and then if this goes well then I am trying to plan a few track days and competition around what I already have in my diary for work.
Plans are hopefully going to be: 21st January Snetterton, 17th February Donington, ARDS test end of Feb, Anglesey 11th March, Silverstone 17th March, Harewood test day 25th March, Brands Hatch 28th March, CSCC Test day Snetterton 29th March (Unsure), Harewood Hillclimb school 5th April, 29th April Rockingham, 7th May CSCC Brands Hatch, 12th May Harewood Hillclimb, 16th May Donington. They are the plans until the end of May and then I need to go through and work out from there but the other track days that I would like to get in are Croft, Cadwell and Oulton Park.

You are still more than welcome to come along as discussed last year Colin and have a drive if you are still undecided about suspension, ITB's etc :) What are your plans for competing this year?
I meant just the pedal sorry mate. Didn't think Matts version looked OE.

Nice touch on the gear stick. Much better for your driving position being like th BFG ;) Did the steering position get adjusted?
Whoops my bad sorry, I'm not 100% sure but I think it may just because its new compared to the old ones :)

Thanks, Haha lol yes it was definitely needed as I couldn't reach it before with my new seat position! Yes it has been lowered down about 25mm but we will see how we get on and then make changes as we go along :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Hi James

I will have to look through my shift rota to see when I can meet up but Snetterton is miles too far away :-(

I was going to retire and have sold most of my comp parts but I went to the Autosport show and had a passenger ride in a Caterham and thought there's no way I am giving up competing and ended up buying a new 3 layer suit and balaclava !
I have been offered a few cars to double drive so may take them up on that or just sod it and get it down to TDF......

Good luck with yours, it looks like its going to be lots of fun for you this year.

SG9 Forester STi

Ahh so this is who owns the car. I've been drooling over this at TDF for the last month. Amazing car, lucky sod.

Golf GTD Mk7

Nice packed couple of months then mate. Good to see it's going to be used as it should :approve:

Hi James

I will have to look through my shift rota to see when I can meet up but Snetterton is miles too far away :-(

I was going to retire and have sold most of my comp parts but I went to the Autosport show and had a passenger ride in a Caterham and thought there's no way I am giving up competing and ended up buying a new 3 layer suit and balaclava !
I have been offered a few cars to double drive so may take them up on that or just sod it and get it down to TDF......

Good luck with yours, it looks like its going to be lots of fun for you this year.

Retire!!! You must only be in your 30's ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Nice packed couple of months then mate. Good to see it's going to be used as it should :approve:

Retire!!! You must only be in your 30's ;)

Cheers Jonny :star: I wish I was in my 30's I'm getting nearer 50 :dapprove:

Hi James

No worries yes did think it may be too far, luckily I've been working in Nottingham recently so I haven't been too far away from TDF, I din't add it to the list because I'm not 100% sure I can make it but I might be doing Oulton on the 10th of Feb so that is much closer to you if your free?

I did notice you had sold some stuff which seemed a shame, Caterhams are always a blast so glad it's changed your mind :) Whichever way you choose to go I hope you enjoy! Let me know what you end up doing and hopefully see you at Harewood if you can't make Oulton! Thank you very much

Ahh so this is who owns the car. I've been drooling over this at TDF for the last month. Amazing car, lucky sod.
Haha thank you very much :eek:
Yes well I'm too excited not to use it lol and it's not really too practical for use on the roads although I am driving it to Le Mans this year as I was betted I wouldn't do it :) it's going to be awful! Practically no suspension, no heating, no air con, no real ventilation, hardly any heat shielding I don't think I know what I've taken on with this bet :S

182 trackday racer

Any pictures of cooler attachments to the gearbox? Curious about location, thanks

182cup & 172 racecar

Hi Colin, at the moment we are aiming for this Saturday as the shakedown test for the car at Snetterton and then if this goes well then I am trying to plan a few track days and competition around what I already have in my diary for work.
Plans are hopefully going to be: 21st January Snetterton, 17th February Donington, ARDS test end of Feb, Anglesey 11th March, Silverstone 17th March, Harewood test day 25th March, Brands Hatch 28th March, CSCC Test day Snetterton 29th March (Unsure), Harewood Hillclimb school 5th April, 29th April Rockingham, 7th May CSCC Brands Hatch, 12th May Harewood Hillclimb, 16th May Donington. They are the plans until the end of May and then I need to go through and work out from there but the other track days that I would like to get in are Croft, Cadwell and Oulton Park.

LOl thats busier than our race calander.

Any pictures of cooler attachments to the gearbox? Curious about location, thanks
I'm afraid I don't but if Matt doesn't see this before the weekend then I will try and grab some for you when I see the car and then post up :)
LOl thats busier than our race calander.
Its mainly the track days that are taking up the time I'm planning to do 5 completive events plus my local hillclimb when I can spare the time and afford it!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

I cant't wait to see this in action, mate. I'm genuinely excited for you! :D