ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Be good to compare with / without ITBs on this type of engine.
Needs 50mm butterfly's to get the maximum out of itb's/this spec ideally, and it's only 45's available off the shelf. It's all about the transition/taper from the butterfly to the valve face, with the optimum being around 7 degrees. You can't get that with 45's unfortunately.
A mate of mine who builds big hp n/a and boost zetec and duratec engines was explaining it all to me.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Jenvey 48s with taper are more than enough, there good enough for near 300bhp.
Agreed. The big hp duratecs are running 52 or 54mm butterflies just to get the transition right, which is where the 197 inlet ports are similar in terms of size.
The Ashford f4r on YouTube is also running 50mm butterflies, possibly bigger.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Agreed. The big hp duratecs are running 52 or 54mm butterflies just to get the transition right, which is where the 197 inlet ports are similar in terms of size.
The Ashford f4r on YouTube is also running 50mm butterflies, possibly bigger.

Pure Motorsport use parallel 48s

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@EVOgone heres some comparison shots of the 2 heads. Inlet ports only as the exhaust ports are identical in position.

172 inlet port:
image.jpg
Lower down in the casting and not as wide as the 197 port. The head is upside down in this pic.

197 port:
image.jpg

Slightly higher up in the casting and substantially wider.

The 2 together:
image.jpg
Hopefully this will help to show why I keep banging on about the transition from butterfly to valve. I'll try and get the full low down to give a proper explanation.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Interesting. I know PMS alter the port position and chamber so maybe to replicate this head.

What about the exhaust ports?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Like the Williams vs the Megane F7R heads. Williams has massive inlet ports vs the Megane but the Megane head it better and it's what I use on the 240bhp rally engine.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well still waiting on overnight parts so I decided to drop the coolant and make a start on getting the engine and box ready to lift out. Also had a chance to offer the new smaller ally rad up to see what mounts I need to fabricate.
You can see in this shot some of the mods to the slam panel for the mahoosive airbox too.
image.jpg
Looking a bit sorry for itself!

I've also fitted the alternator and brackets that have recently been painted along with the new upper engine mount. The upper engine mount just needs a coat of lacquer.
image.jpg
image.jpg
More to come.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Only just noticed this mate it looks brilliant.

Are you planning on itbs in the future?
Cheers! Nah mate. Cba tbh! This is just all a bit of fun for me really, so whatever power it makes I'll be happy with. If it was all out performance I would've run it on itbs from the off, but I prefer to do things a bit different.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok so the overnight parts finally arrived for the gearbox. I had a spare 10 minutes today so I decided to fully assemble the mainshaft. EVERY gear on this shaft is now brand new! As it currently stands:
image.jpg

Then it was time to look at the twin fan mounts. Here's the new ally rad with my twin 10" kenlowes. Plenty of go go in these bad boys!
image.jpg
There will also be a full frame around the edges of the rad to ensure good airflow through it for maximum efficiency. I'll use some foamalux to extend it further forward.

And finally for today I've sneaked the header tank into the dishwasher. Hopefully the wife won't see it. Lol!!!
image.jpg
More to come.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Flol @ car parts in the dishwasher. Brave man! 😂
Shiny new gearset looking nice mate :cool:
I got home from work at 6:45 and removed it whilst the wife was still in bed! :wink:
Yeah it wants to be as well for what it's all cost!!! Lol! f**king chocolate Renault gearboxes!

How did the header tank come up ?
It's come out really well tbf - not brand new looking, but for a 12yr old part it's come up really well. Here's what I did:

I put washing powder inside first along with half a cup of rice and boiling water. Gave it a good shake and left it overnight full of water.
Emptied out and removed the rice (tasted soapy? Lol) then refilled with bleach and boiling water. Left again over night, drained it off and sneaked it in the dishwasher when the fun police wasn't looking. :cool:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Masterchef eat ya heart out
oh I'm a masterchef alright! I can make a meal out of anything! Flol

Looking great Mark.

Dishwashers are awesome at cleaner car parts.

I had an inlet manifold in there on an economy wash lol. Came out new.

This build is stonkingly fantastic.
yeah tbf it's come out really well and it was also on a economy wash at 50 degrees! That's obviously the secret! Lol!

Thanks for the kind words.

Some very nice parts going on this, just wondering why you did not go for straight cut gears (providing you can get them)
Main reason for not going straight cut is cost. They're so expensive for these and I don't have a contact to get a cash deal!! I had the chance of James's gripper box but it wouldn't have been the best in terms of gearing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you worked out how you'll plumb in the Laminova yet?

I'm considering getting one for my R26 to help the oil warm up quicker.