ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes.......again!!

Really gotta get some new brakes for the front of my RT as theyre running pretty low now.

Decided not to bother with the 16v upgrade as i can be hassled with getting all the calipers and stuff.

Anyways ive narrowed it down to:

Pads - Either K-tec kevlar, or EBC green stuff? which are best and wheres the best place to get the EBC ones?

Discs - Not really sure, what are the Halfords grooved ones like? only about £20.

Also, any other recommendations appreciated.

Oh, one more question, how much am i looking at to have the new discs and pads fitted at a garage, im guessing it shouldnt take no more than an hour so about £25?

Thanks

Dazz

thanks matt, that helps explain it a bit :)

Daz, i had a look today and it dont look as if it will be too hard - heres how i think i will do it (bear in mind ive never done it before)

Take the top off the brake fluid pot first, jack up and put on axle stands. Take of wheel.

Remove the clip going through the pin and then remove the pin as well. Pull the brake pads out. Open up the calipers, put the new pads in and reassemble ensuring brake fluid dont overflow as the calipers are reopened?

Also, is the disc about as simple as this? Just a case of a couple of bolts?

Thanks

Well, Im getting some Williams Brakes on mine hopefully - full setup, discs, pads and calipers.. and if I want to uprate discs etc.. in future, its easy cus the new calipers allow for vented discs.

Apparently, its a straight swap.. as long as you get the bolts etc..

Dunno how to do it tho.. I think my very good friend is going to do it for me.. ! Hes a good lad.

discs you need to undo 2 bolts and then the two torx screws and it comes off with a bit of help. putting the new ones on, dont forget to flush the hub mating surface first, or your discs may wear unevenly due to uneven surface.

would def do yourself, easy job.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

daz i thought that you were getting some special vented 1.2 discs, and i though u said that u didnt want 16v or willy calipers as u may as well buy a 16v or willy then....

ok thanks all :)

Steve_rt how do you flush the surfaces? Is it a case of using some emry paper or the like or is there a specific way of doing it?

Thanks

Dazz

Just ordered some KTR Kevlar pads, so all thats left now is the discs?

What are the best ones to go for, dont wanna spend to much as the pads were only £35.

Also, has anyone ordered from KTR online before, just wondering how long they normally take and what method of P&P they use?

Thanks

Thing is, depending on your calipers, you might only be able to get solid discs..

This is why Im going for a Williams Setup to start with - allowing me to run a lot better discs.. you need the 16v/Williams Calipers to be able to use Vented discs.

It depends what your current calipers are.. but if they are the same as mine (Solid Discs) then the best way by far is to get some 16v/Williams Calipers, IMO.

yeah i was looking at that, but i have seen that Halfords sell solid and grooved discs, i was thinking of going for the grooved ones? If not i should still see a noticable improvement with new solid discs and kevlar pads over my worn original pads etc.

True, but you cant get vented discs.. which is where youll really notice a difference I think? Im not too sure, Ill let ya know! Heh.

with your calipers i think you are pretty limited to the disc you can buy. KTec and Tar.Ox are the only ones i know of to be a direct replacement for solid (238mm is it?) discs. i got the Ktec ones, you shuold have got them in a kit (pads and discs together), prob would have been cheaper?

RE flushing, yeah or use a wire brush drill bit.

yeah i woulda got the kit, but cant afford it at the mo, im getting the pads for now as they are urgent, and then il get the discs in a few weeks.

Thanks every1 for the help :)

Just a quick question, i need to tell KTR what calipers i have, how can i tell which ones are which?

"Could you also let us know if you have bendix, girling or lucas calipers. "

Thanks

TT 225

Lucas Girling are the same caliper - and are off the Willy and 16v - youll have the bendix on a 1.4

girling come in both solid and vented as do bendix brakes.

Lucas now own girling but the design is slightly different so the original girlings are better.

ok should be fitting them tomo, got them for the Bendix caliper.

Just wondering, whats the best way to open up the caliper to get the new pads in? Is it a case of levering it open or is there a specific method?

Thnkas

ok after you have the pads out, unbolt the caliper and then put a g-clamp in the piston and turn it to force it back. youll be lucky if you can lever it open, be careful not to break the seal either.

yeah i have a haynes manual, just dont wanna get in the situation where i get the old brakes off but cant get the new ones on cos the caliper wont open. It should be ok though, got a clamp somewhere and im sure it shouldnt take too long.

Just gotta wait for the pads to arrive?

Anyone know if K-tec use Royal Mail of a different courier?

Got my new Willy Calipers today- Just gotta get some new discs and pads then Ill be good to go!

thanks steve_rt, feel a bit more confident, pads didnt turn up today so guess il prolly have to wait til tomo now :(

Daz, sounds good mate, let me know how you get on and il see how the KTR kevlar pads go :)

nice, should stop it dead hehe :)

Im pd off now, had my wheels balanced earlier this week but im getting more vibration than ever at 60mph +. Im guessing theyve either been balanced wrong, one of the weight strips have fallen off or the brake pads on their are so fkd they are causing it? Any ideas what it could be?

BTW on the alloy which the pads are low they seem to be giving off a lot of dust compared to the other side, and also, over the last few dates this dust seems as though its eating into the alloy paint?

I need to go and get my front wheels balanced.. They used to be on the back until a couple of days ago when I had two new tyres put on.. So I put the new ones on the back and moved the old back ones to the front..

Back is balanced, front is slightly out I think..

damn do you both have to post in the same thread, so confusing;)...

daZZ, yeah pads as they get lower and more worn, they have a tendancy to crumble, and generally disentegrate so will break down more and give off more sh*t, and yeah the dust does seem to "eat" into alloys- you can get some stuff that either repairs it or prevents it, never got it myself so dont know!

oh and ktec kept me waiting when i wanted mine, but you know what they say...

:( dam u daz, i wanna be the daddy hehe :devilish: muhahahah

steve, what courier do k-tec use? The posties just been with no brakes sob sob, hope they use a courier.