ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big screen on MacBook pro?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I've got a 2012 13" pro laptop....really want a thunderbolt display for my desk at work but can't justify the £900 it costs, is there a way I can buy a cheaper monitor to use? Is there a way to connect it etc??

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Well it's for my desk at work so I don't want anything huge. Just cheaper than the thunderbolt!

Just to be clear I want this to connect my macbook so I have a bigger screen to work on doing CAD modelling etc...not for watching films/TV etc.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes anything via a HDMI out.

Plugs into the thunderbolt (or display) port.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Get education discount and get it for £746.40. Just saved yourself £153.60 over normal pricing.

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000747/product/MC914B/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch?fnode=53

Cheers Dave.
Actually works out to £420 it will cost me as I'll put it through the business....a lot easier to justify now!

Just buy a nice big non Apple branded IPS monitor. Theres tons of them.

Havent looked at any for a while but here are some after a 30 second search:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-003-DG&tool=3

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-060-DE&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

Probably cheaper elsewhere too!

Never a tv for pc work :nono:

Cheers mate that was what I was looking for to be honest.
Do I need to buy a specific cable/connection for this?

Can I have an opinion from someone regarding this though....is the Thunderbolt worth the extra? I was thinking with it I can connect my external hard drive to it via the USB then as soon as the Macbook is connected it will auto back-up etc. And any other key features it may have?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
As I said. Display port to hdmi adapter.

Sorry Tom, I'm being really stupid here.

My Macbook has 2 USB's, the Thunderbolt, an ethernet (?) port, and then 1 more. Is this the port you mean?
I really want a Thunderbolt but justifying the cost is hard even though I can get it half price...

Sorry Tom, I'm being really stupid here.

My Macbook has 2 USB's, the Thunderbolt, an ethernet (?) port, and then 1 more. Is this the port you mean?
I really want a Thunderbolt but justifying the cost is hard even though I can get it half price...

The Thunderbolt port is backwards compatible as a Mini DisplayPort, and the HDMI cable then goes in to the monitor.

So, Thunderbolt port > Adapter > HDMI cable > Monitor.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Lovely job cheers lads, much appreciated.

Went to see a thunderbolt screen and had a play with my laptop on the way home from work, they are awesome!
Pretty set on it now, I'd like to keep things Apple as sad as it sounds, and with it costing me under £500 I think that's a fair price for what it is.

So unless anyone can persuade me otherwise I'll be buying one in the morning...!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just a shame I'll have to wait until Monday for it now!
Going for a keyboard as well, may as well splash out I guess!

Tempted to get an iMac on the free finance offer too, but my desk wouldn't be big enough!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If you're that tempted, why not ditch the display and get the iMac instead.

You can use the iMac as a thunderbolt display for the MBP but you will also be able to use it as a normal Mac as well.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm tempted, but I don't want a laptop and a desktop both for work with different files on, not practical for me...

I use my iMac as my monitor for my Air and PC. Works a treat. Any files im using that i dont want different versions of i just store them online somewhere. Cloud computing and all that. Anyway im sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

Just had a quick look at the new iMacs there, new better screen :p... I best stop looking at these or ill be pissing away money on one with that 0% finance thing

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I don't always have internet access for files though, it's complicated really for what I need and use my laptop for...

Haven't got round to ordering one yet, but definately having one!
Might wait until I sort my new office out over christmas.

Weeman sucks ****
I use a normally price samsung screen for CAD/3d/artworking via display>hdmi. I love apple but spending that on a screen is crazy, you might aswell invest that cost into a new machine.

Don't use a TV for CAD, it will be terrible and laggy.

Rav4
Cheers Dave.
Actually works out to £420 it will cost me as I'll put it through the business....a lot easier to justify now!

Can you explain to me how you work it out to be this price? Not questioning, just interested.

Thanks very much,

G

Rav4
Claim back VAT?

I don't know if there is the student discount as well?

RRP is £899 for the ACD.

Let's say it's £900 just to make the numbers look prettier.

ACD
inclusive of 20% VAT has net cost of £750.00 and a VAT element of £150.00.

If he is getting student discount, then getting the VAT off, I don't think it comes up to the price suggested.

Just wondering how he is doing it.

Thanks,

G.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
RRP is £899 for the ACD.

Let's say it's £900 just to make the numbers look prettier.

ACD
inclusive of 20% VAT has net cost of £750.00 and a VAT element of £150.00.

If he is getting student discount, then getting the VAT off, I don't think it comes up to the price suggested.

Just wondering how he is doing it.

Thanks,

G.

Won;t go into too much detail but its put through the business so I save some money that way. On top of the education discount and claiming the VAT back.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Can you order using that link to the education store? As in if you dont have a student id does it check? Im just about to order an mbp...