ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery relocation.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I've been looking at moving my battery into the spare wheel well in my 172 mainly to free up some space in the engine bay.

I think I've got a good idea on how to set it up using threads on here and other forums I just want to confirm this before going ahead and buying everything I need.

So..

My plan is to secure the battery in the spare wheel well and earth it, from what I've read 4awg cable should be sufficient enough with a 175A mega fuse close to the battery.
I've spied a 3 way joint box with m8 studs which I plan on connecting the starter cable and fuse box and also the cable running to the battery. I've also read that it's a good idea to also install a fuse running to the starter but I've heard this is already fused?

Any help will be appreciated

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ive got a battery box in the wheel well, 25mm2 cable with a 125 amp megafuse next to it, longacre bulkhead connector, and then cables joined in a dist. box. Ive done away with the fuse on the starter cable and crimped a new ring terminal onto it. Earthed with a short cable bolted to the wheel well floor.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Yeah that sounds pretty much what I had in mind. If I was to wire a FIA cut off switch would it Just be a case of, running the cable from the battery to one side of the switch and make a new cable from the fusebox/starter to the other side then take a feed off the ignition coil?

Thanks for the reply

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry! Me neither!

I have a cut off switch just to disconnect the battery when the car is unused for a while. I am going to be sorting FIA cut offs though. You have the powercable and the ignition through the cut off to with a resisted earth. This is the diagram I found on the net to help with mine. Will be doing mine in about 3 weeks so can post some pics then if you want.

batt_cut_1_zpslzsqo8bt.gif

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I found a similar diagram which I was going to use.

My knowledge of auto electrics is pretty poor so I have a few queries, when it says main feed does that stand for the fuse box/starter?
Also what colour cable will I have to take a feed off from the ignition coil?

Will you be running a cable from the battery through the centre console then behind the dash? Then run a cable from the starter/fusebox through the bulkhead and behind the dash?

Yes pictures will be useful!!

Thanks

182 trackcar, XC60t6
150amp works. Been running mine for a few weeks now no trouble. 25mm2 cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk