ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV?

I'm looking at being able to stream movies and get more channels. Apple TV seems the likely choice at the minute but I know naff all about it.

If I wanted to stream movies from my iPad i.e Cartoon HD would Gen1 be ok or worth going for a Gen 2/3?

Jailbroken devices, worth it? If so how I do about getting hold of one, anyone on here able to do it?

So yeah pretty much are they a good bit of kit and worth buying?

Thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I use mine daily for streaming cartoon hd and music.

Its decent if you have netflix too but you can't get more channels on an unjaikbroken unit.

Apple TV 3s are the cheapest (£70-100 odd)as nobody wants them as they can't be jailbroken, I have a 3 and it's perfect for what I want.

1 & 2s command a premium (£180-200 odd) as they can be jail broken.

Feel free to come have a look at my standard one if you like, see if it's for you.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cheers rings bell now I've used that before to stream from my laptop. Lol.

Is a jailbroken apple device worth the money?

it sounds like the way to go for yourself, as I use it solely to stream from my devices, a standard unit was fine for me.

If you want anything decent/more channels/online content, jail broken apple TVs are the way to go

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
ATV3 for ATV legit functions + Raspberry Pi for the functions of a jailbroken ATV.

Half the price of a ATV1/2, but if you don't mind spending the money, an early ATV will be a bit more convenient than two separate devices.

Buy a RaspberryPI, and use plex on that.

f**k paying the premium that ATV1&2's command.

How do you stream movies or get sports etc through that?

Do you need XMBC along with it? Would Cartoon HD work through a Pi with XMBC?

I'm hopeless with these types of things, I just want something I can watch free movies & sport without having to go through the hassle of torrents etc.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
For those asking to put cartoon hd on an Apple TV, do you have it on your existing iPhones/iPods/iPads? As you can just stream it straight from those.

If not, I can't help sorry

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
For those asking to put cartoon hd on an Apple TV, do you have it on your existing iPhones/iPods/iPads? As you can just stream it straight from those.

If not, I can't help sorry

I have it on both iPad an iPhone.

How do I stream it to ATV? Can it actually be done with a first gen ATV?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Anyone able to answer #12 or offer advice?

You can install XBMC on the Pi which allows you to add things like sky sports and cartoon network like you could with the gen 2 apple tv.

It's more complex as you then have to figure out how to get it hooked up to a tv and working from a remote, but it's do-able.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You can install XBMC on the Pi which allows you to add things like sky sports and cartoon network like you could with the gen 2 apple tv.

It's more complex as you then have to figure out how to get it hooked up to a tv and working from a remote, but it's do-able.

XBMC on the Pi is controllable from your TV remote if your TV supports CEC.

I really need to do something with my pi. Had it since the B model came out and I've hardly touched it

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I have it on both iPad an iPhone.

How do I stream it to ATV? Can it actually be done with a first gen ATV?

Press the little air play icon on the iPad/iphone. If you can AirPlay music/YouTube etc to the atv 1 then I can't see why it won't work with cartoon hd.

If you're running iOS 7, swipe up for the control panel and press airplay when prompted, then you can choose iPad/iphone, Apple TV or mirroring.

I've had both a 2 and 3. Barely used any of the jailbroken features on the 2, most of the links didn't work or it was too much hassle to find a working repo so I sold it and made £50 profit.

Now using the 3 with Plex and it's all I need, the fact it's full hd as opposed to the 2 it's a no brainer.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Press the little air play icon on the iPad/iphone. If you can AirPlay music/YouTube etc to the atv 1 then I can't see why it won't work with cartoon hd.

If you're running iOS 7, swipe up for the control panel and press airplay when prompted, then you can choose iPad/iphone, Apple TV or mirroring.

I've been searching google and apparently the first gen ATV's don't support airplay :(

Arctic 182
Hijack with a question if I may (sorry OP!)
Does anyone know if it's capable of streaming the YouTube app on iPhone/iPad? I subscribe to quite a few channels & would love to watch them on my tv.
Cheers

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
This thread has just come up at the right time for me lol. I've been thinking about buying one recently, but didn't understand much about them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hijack with a question if I may (sorry OP!)
Does anyone know if it's capable of streaming the YouTube app on iPhone/iPad? I subscribe to quite a few channels & would love to watch them on my tv.
Cheers

get a chromecast if you want youtube on the cheap.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
get a chromecast if you want youtube on the cheap.

I picked one of these up the other day and it works brilliantly with YouTube. Search for the videos on your phone and then they play through the TV. Can also create a playlist too and the videos just play one after the other.

Bargain at 30 quids, plus works with both android and iOS so can use it with my phone and ipad

Megane R26
You could get an Ouya. It's a little games console type thing that You can install XBMC onto directly form there App Store. You can then stream/download movies tv shoes and sports so you wouldn't need to use cartoon hd

£99 is that a one off fee?

Pretty much looking for something I turn on when the TV is rubbish and have access to decent tv series or movies.

I've currently got a smart tv with BBC i player and Lovefilm(amazon prime) but I find it isn't enough. Something like cartoon HD easily accessible on the big screen with new movies not ones from 10 years ago i've seen before would be ideal.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I picked one of these up the other day and it works brilliantly with YouTube. Search for the videos on your phone and then they play through the TV. Can also create a playlist too and the videos just play one after the other.

Bargain at 30 quids, plus works with both android and iOS so can use it with my phone and ipad

Can it mirror/stream from non google ios apps?

Clio 172 cup
The other option is an Android box like a mx2 basically a ripoff of a apple tv runs xbmx/cartoon hd/netflix supports air play etc

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The best solution is a Raspberry Pi, running Raspbmc. The Pi costs about £25 and you need an SD card, which is about a fiver, and then you can either use a wireless dongle which costs pennies, or use an ethernet cable for internet connection. HDMI cable for audio/video to the TV, and if you have a fairly modern TV (last 5 years-ish), you can control the Raspberry Pi using your TV remote, or alternatively do what I do and buy a cheap mini-keyboard with trackpad, which is about a tenner from eBay.

Airplay is being worked on, some have got it working on a Pi using rPlay, but it's buggy, but the Pi already has a huge following, so it's only going to get better, they'll have AirPlay sorted soon enough.