ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV & Movies

Inferno 182 CUP
I use Plex as my media server .. I have a Mac Mini downstairs which never turns off and the Plex server runs on it.

I then have the Plex Home Theater Client on the same machine for viewing the files, I also have Plex on my iPhone for Music & Xbox One. I have a Roku box in one bedroom which acts as a Plex client also.

However, for all 'home' access media. Can I just copy all of video files into iTunes and use iTunes home sharing? If I do this will they be accessible to say an Apple TV?

If yes id rather buy Apple TVs for the bedrooms as it means I can also Airplay to them .. Roku is great but I like the Apple Ecosystem plus the interface is nicer .. Just not sure if it works! - Also if I copy all my movies to iTunes does it just copy a mirror rather than the entire file? I have 2TB of videos, I don't particularly want 4!

What format are the videos in? They will need to be mp4/m4v for iTunes to see them.

I have just under 4TB of movies. They are on a media PC in the garage that streams via homeplugs to 3 x Apple TVs in the house.

If the movies you have are in mkv or similar, you could convert them (well, re-pack them) using something like Handbrake or MKv2MP4. I use the latter as it takes 20mins per movie.

iTunes doesn't copy the movies, it will just create a library of your content.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its an installer for open plex, which replaces a channel on your apple TV and allows plex access without airplay.
I find it easier just to use the iOS Plex app.

Inferno 182 CUP
Sorry .. I vaguely get the gist now .. is Plex Connect the done thing on ATV? - And it hijacks an App on the Mac doesn't it rather than the ATV? And I can choose which App to HiJack?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hijacks an "app" on the ATV
You can choose WSJ/Trailers/iMovie Theater
Plex is a far more elegant solution than using home sharing. Do you absolutely need airplay?

Inferno 182 CUP
Not absolutely but it would be nice .. for the £50 a ROKU costs, the extra £30 for an ATV which will allow me to Airplay aswell would be nice

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
yeah i guess. i have all of them and i tend to use the ATV more then the chromecast.
When the 360 gets plex i'll use that too.

Inferno 182 CUP
Plex for Xbox is pretty crap imo. The interface on the one looks average. Bit like roku. You just can't beat PHT!