ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV 4

Anyone using the Plex app? I want to check if mkv files are requiring transcoding on the server before sending. My ATV3 doesn't need to transcode (the XOne and Sony TV apps do).

My Sony unit does. I'm not sure on other TV's.
I'll have to test this at the weekend. I've got the Sony 55W829.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've installed it but not tried it yet. I am hoping to have a Plex session this weekend

I got mine on the 30th October and love it, finally having a Plex app where you don't need to side-load it just makes things a load easier. The remote is ace, could do with it connecting a little quicker when the Apple TV has been turned off but can't complain over the ATV3 remote!

I got mine on the 30th October and love it, finally having a Plex app where you don't need to side-load it just makes things a load easier. The remote is ace, could do with it connecting a little quicker when the Apple TV has been turned off but can't complain over the ATV3 remote!
Seeing as you're using the Plex app, can you answer some questions?

What formats are you throwing at it? Is your server transcoding or direct playing MKVs?

How would I know if the server was transcoding them? Majority of my files are MP4 with some being MKV & AVI
Within the Plex Server (on your server), it will show what files are currently streaming to your ATV. Then if you hover over it/click it, it should say what the video and audio is doing (direct playing/trans-coding).

DCi
My broadband is very slow (1.5 mb ish)

The App Store takes decking ages to load :(

Tempted to tether to my phone then put it back on the LAN for plex access when I'm done

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
My broadband is very slow (1.5 mb ish)

The App Store takes decking ages to load 😧

Tempted to tether to my phone then put it back on the LAN for plex access when I'm done
wow! Theres me worrying about moving from my 200mb down to 72mb lol

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Anyone pleased with theirs?

Worthy purchase?

Any good apps available?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are there OD apps available? Basically, what I want is Netflix, Now TV, iPlayer and All4. Are these available? The quicker I can get shot of the TV part of Sky the better.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What's the deal with the jail broken atv 4s?

There's a load for sale on eBay loaded with kodi and whatnot. But is there anything special you need to do with them during general running and updates?

Will an update reset it and wipe the jailbreak?

Do Apple scans randomly pick up on it and lock it?

Etc etc

Or is it just like a general atv that you fit and forget?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see the point in using a jailbroken ATV for Kodi these days.

It made a lot of sense in the ATV2 days because there weren't many (any?) small form devices that were as powerful, so it gave by far the best user experience.

These days, a Raspberry Pi 3 is more than powerful enough to run Kodi, or loads of those other android boxes. The Pi can be bought for 30 quid though.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a Fire Stick, Roku 3 and Apple TV the other week to try them all out and see which to use mainly for iPlayer, 4OD, Plex and NHL TV.
Sadly the Apple TV didn't last much more than an hour before being boxed back up and sent back 😧
Just couldn't get on with it, didn't do everything (couldn't find 4OD?) and for the cost wasn't impressed.
Kept the Fire Stick as it was only £20 on the Amazon deal so will use that to play about with but again the interface was way too busy, and obviously heavily geared to Amazon Prime. Doesn't have the NHL TV app available at the moment, but might have a frig about with Kodi on it etc as it won't be used as a main device.
The Roku 3 was the best for us with such a simple clean interface, had all the apps we needed and ran really well. Got one of the new model streaming sticks on the way as well to stick on the bedroom TV, the remote listening through the app could be handy too. May even replace the 3 with one of the new sticks as it may end up being quicker given it's now quad core.
The ATV felt a premium product (weight like a brick compared to everything else) and Airplay was quite cool, just didn't feel it was worth the money and just felt a little disappointed with it 😧

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah, I'm just after upgrading one of my atvs.

Unsure of whether to get a regular or jail broken one.

It'll be mainly used for streaming, the only reason I'm considering the jailbreak is for the marginal convenience of not having to find what I want to watch on the iPad/iPhone and streaming to the tv.