ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Repair Program

Cayman S Edition 1
If anyone is interested, Apple have finally acknowledged issues with Macbook Pro's from 2011 to 2013 that include;
  • Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly
If you're affected by this, here's the link to see if you're eligible for a repair.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Mine's a mid 2012 model and I've been having issues for over 6 months with gpupanic issues, where it hangs then reboots randomly. Hoping they're fix mine for free!!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Useful!
I hadn't had any issues until yesterday, when my computer would wake from sleep but not turn the display on, I knew it was on as i could play music/keyboard was lit but I had to force a reboot to get the screen to work. This happened 3 or 4 times, then I updated the software and it's been fine since but might take it down to Apple anyway.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped mine off last Friday as it got to the stage where it wouldn't even boot, they said it didn't have a GPU that was covered but to leave it for tests anyway. Got a call today to say they've replaced the logic board under the scheme regardless.

Dead happy, and timing couldn't have been better, my symptoms only started the day after this thread went up.

Cayman S Edition 1
Dropped mine off last Friday as it got to the stage where it wouldn't even boot, they said it didn't have a GPU that was covered but to leave it for tests anyway. Got a call today to say they've replaced the logic board under the scheme regardless.

Dead happy, and timing couldn't have been better, my symptoms only started the day after this thread went up.
Awesome news. I need to get mine booked in now.

Did you wipe yours beforehand?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had done a clean install for Yosemite so nothing much on there, anything i want backed up I keep on Google Drive anyway since I get 10TB with them.

Having said that, they didn't lose any data during the repair.

Cayman S Edition 1
Finally took mine in to the Reading Apple store today and they couldn't find anything wrong with my Mac.

Unhappy to say the least!! The guy seemed to understand my frustration though and recommended I keep a diary of every single crash event along with any pictures, as that should help fight my case to get it looked at in more detail.

dk

911 GTS Cab

@jenic
interesting, I've had an issue free system (mines a late 2011) until the other night where the screen went all weird and broken up, had to do a firm reboot.

Then today the laptop won't even boot, i got the apple logo and a bar moves about a 1/3 the way along then get a white screen.

dont suppose this is what you go was it?

can't believe all these systems going wrong when this is announced, very strange.

I'm hoping mine is covered by this, and that my data is still there, going to remove the drive tomorrow and try it in a data usb caddy.

i've tried creating a bootable yosemite usb too and it won't even boot from that.

please tell me yours was the same, also where did you take it please. I have a premium apple repair centre in wycombe so I'm going to take it there i think, just praying the data is on the drive as i hadn't got around to a time machine backup, had about 60% of the files backed up, just the hassle.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds similar.

I had a few display issues, such as broken up large squares, and the screen becoming shifted about 30% so 30% of the right had shifted to the left side. A reboot would always sort the issue temporarily, but sometimes it wouldn't even boot into the OS without first going into recovery mode.

I took photos of the display issues before going in, when I took it in it passed the display test they have been given to use for the repair program but the guy said email me the pictures and leave it with me. Then a few days later I got a call to say it had all been fixed FOC.

I went to the MK store, a horrible shop, but the 'genius' was an older guy, who seemed to care more than the typical young student types you get in Apple.

My LB must also have had other issues, as a speedtest shows my SSD running at full speed now, before write speed was a fair bit under spec.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ah ok, I've connect to the drive today and all the data is on there, so it definitely points to being this issue, I'm just glad I got my data.

Girl at work has the same issue, hers is an early 2011 pro and was told by apple it was logic board and would cost £400 to replace. I've told her about the website and said to try again armed with this info.

Mine did exactly the same as yours, 30% of the screen shifted to the left, only did it once before the following day it completely froze never to come back.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Took mine into the apple repair centre in Wycombe yesterday, will see what they say, I'm 99% it's the logic board, which they'd need to replace under this graphics replacement scheme anyway so here's hoping.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is that an official apple centre or an authorised one?
IME the authorised ones have virtually no flexibility when it comes to repairs that aren't clear cut warranty cases.
Also did they not do the graphics test in front of you, doesn't take long and immediately tells you if the GPU is definitely faulty and covered.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Is that an official apple centre or an authorised one?
IME the authorised ones have virtually no flexibility when it comes to repairs that aren't clear cut warranty cases.
Also did they not do the graphics test in front of you, doesn't take long and immediately tells you if the GPU is definitely faulty and covered.
Apple Premium Service Provider
only one in the surrounding counties supposedly.

if they won't do anything then i'll take it into apple, not going to cost me anything to get them to look at it.

The didn't do any tests in front of me as they said they take several hours and wouldn't be started until monday anyway as it was a saturday afternoon.

I kept the hard drive which they said they would normally test too.

As far as I'm concerned it is clear cut due to the graphics issue i had 24 hrs before, so we'll see what they say.

i got a mid 2012 mine wouldn't boot up a few months ago and now it does it takes about 5-10 minutes before i can attempt to use it, when i do use it everything is so slow and takes ages just to open google chrome. will take mine in when i get some time

I think i have a different problem to this actually.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
result!

Hi Mr DK
I am the technician dealing with your Macbook Pro.
Just wanted to give you an update on this repair.
We have ordered the following parts: Logic board (Mother Board) – No charge for repair, Covered under Apple Recall Program
We expect to have this repair complete by: 24/04/2015
However, we will call you once the unit is ready to collect.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Thanks

dk

911 GTS Cab
Laptop was supposed to be returned to me today, got a call this morning to say the logic board they'd had in from apple was faulty after testing so they have had to order another.

Frustrating, but at the same time I'm glad they're doing it properly.

Girl at work also had the same issue a few months back and was told by apple that it would cost £400 for a new logic board. Told her to take it to these guys and say it's covered under the programme (which it is) and they're now doing it for free for her. She's pretty happy that she's saved £400!

Cayman S Edition 1
So mine appears to have officially died. Booked it back in "again" and hopefully they'll find a fault this time;)

Cayman S Edition 1
dropped my MacBook off at the Apple Store in Reading this morning. Just had a call to say they've replaced the logic board FOC:)

Couldn't be happier!