ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator/battery/power issues

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Ahoi hoi.

Car took 5 attempts to turn over on Friday morning, finally fired and I was on my way. Noticed the trip meter had reset, and last time it did this by itself was a new battery. So I figured I'd sort it this week at some point, no big deal.

So then it decided to cut out whilst we were driving (200 miles away from home at this point), battery light flashed, radio switched off and wipers/AC/window either went slow or stopped completely. Nursed it back to the hotel and it was ok the rest of the way home.

Started it this morning, same b****cks as Friday morning, but started eventually and drove it home.

Haven't had a chance yet to get a multimeter on the battery/properly check any of the terminals/wiring as it was pissing it down when I left The North and I had no tools anyway.

So what do we suppose it is? Fucked alternator, fucked battery, or fucked wiring? Or perhaps a wonderful combination of all three! I got married on Sunday so I'm properly fcuking skint, so this is the worst possible time it could have happened :/ Might just push the car off Beachy Head.

Id say battery mate. I think the Battery and Stop light comes on when the alternator is naff that would be my first port of call is check the voltage on the battery before turning the car over then after turning the car over to check the alternator :)

Nick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Faulty alternator is the best guess at the minute. Need to check the output when running though to confirm/deny

Mick

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Voltage at idle between battery terminals was 14.4v. Starting to add load (so lights, A/C, radio etc) and it dropped down to less than 13v. Fcuked alternator then!

Also, alternator smells like burning.