ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbags and pretensioners notes/FAQ/how to remove airbags

This is for the Mk2 Clio owners only.

Once you have set an airbag or pretensioner off no other airbags or pretensioners can be set off. The computer is useless the light will stay on on the dash.

If you have had an airbag or pretensioner activated you have only a few ways of getting rid of the light.

1) New airbag module (£150 to £350 depending what model you have) then Renault to program it to your car. Also replace the side impact sensors. Then either
a) Put a resister in the loom to make the airbag computer think a airbag is present. (see later notes)
b) Put a new airbag in.

2) Unplug the light from the dashboard

One note to make if the airbag/pretensioner ligh is on due to a fault etc then the airbags shouldn't go off. However owners who have crashed cars with airbags on have said the airbag system still works.

The Clio detects the airbags being connected by checking the resistance of wires in the of the airbags.

So long as the resistance is in the correct range then no warning light will be set off.

If you disconnect any of the airbags (so long as no other have been set off) all you need to do to stop the warning light coming on is stick a resister in the wiring looms to make the airbag computer think there is a airbag present.

The figures below are ones the airbags computers need to sence to think an airbag is connected.

Drivers airbag between 1.8 to 6.2 Ohms. This runs through the lines 1 and 2 of the airbag/pretensioners computers.

Passenger airbag between 1.8 to 4 Ohms. This runs through the lines 3 and 4 of the airbag computer.

Side airbags between 1.8 to 4 Ohms. Passengers line runs through the lines 34 and 9 of the airbag computer. Drivers line runs through the lines 8 and 33 of the airbag computer.

Pretensioner between 1.8 to 4 Ohms. Passengers line is marked D and is track 11 and 36 on the 30 track connector. Drivers line is marked C and is track 10 and 35 on the 30 track connector.

So long as the resistance is between these values above (I'd a resister value in the middle of each of these values) then no warning light will come on.

If you want to remove any of the above airbags the resisters need to be plugged into the following locations

Drivers airbag - There are two resisters you need. The airbags system works on a high and low pressure system so you need one resister for each line. If you remove the airbag you'll find 4 wires. One pair go from the orange connector to lines 6 and 7 on the cruise control/airbag connector. They are orange and grey in colour. They go to a black connector and exist the connector on the same colour lines. You can put the resister before or after the connector block though between the wires. These wires go into connections into the airbag computer in lines 4 and 29 (if you want to strip the center console off to save the weight/loose wires).
The other pair of wires go from the green connector to lines 9 (beige) and 10 (salmon) on the cruise control/airbag connector (Black in colour) then out of the connector on the same colour lines. These wires go into connections into the airbag computer in lines 5 and 10 (if you want to strip the center console off to save the weight/loose wires).

Passengers airbag - There are two resisters you need. The airbags system works on a high and low pressure system so you need one resister for each line. If you remove the airbag you'll find 4 wires. One pair go from the orange connector to lines 2 and 27 on the airbag computer. The lines are brown and blue respectifully.
The other pair of wires go from the green connector to lines 3 and 28 on the airbag computer. They are blue and brown respectfully.

Drivers side airbag - Under the drivers seat there a black clip with cable going in and out. The lines 2 and 3 (ie the orange and brown wires) are the ones you need to stick the resister in. The spare black line is the earthing wire.

Passenger side airbag - Under the passengers seat there a black clip with cable going in and out. The lines 2 and 3 (ie the Beige and Brown wires) are the ones you need to stick the resister in. The spare black line is the earthing wire.

Drivers side pretensioner - Under the drivers seat near the front there a grey clip with cable going in and out. The lines A8 and A7 (ie the orange and brown wires) are the ones you need to stick the resister in.

Passengers side pretentensioner - Under the passengers seat near the front there a grey clip with cable going in and out. The lines A8 and A7 (ie the orange and brown wires) are the ones you need to stick the resister in.

The airbag computer needs to be supplied with between 10.5 and 16 Volts otherwise a fault will be raised.

Clio 172 Cup owners don't have side airbags so if they change there seats then there is no trouble with warning lights (so long as they either leave there seat belts plugged in)

If you wish to remove your side airbags for aftermarket seats then you can either do as the above says regards sticking a fuse in the circuit or ask your local Renault dealer if they will adjust your cars airbags computer via there Clip laptops so that it thinks there isn't an airbag there (some of the the lower spec cars didn't have). However many dealers are will refuse to do this.

The airbags module decides if/how to fire the airbags depending upon a different set of conditions ie if you are belted in speed etc. The system detects if you are belted in via the black wire in the seat buckle. If you cut this wire then the computer thinks you are belted in all the time no warning light will ever come on telling you to do your belt.

If you want to swop your seat belts for harnesses then you will have to decide what to do either:

1) Remove the seat belt buckle from the car and stick the resister in the wiring loom.

2) Keep the normal buckle in the car and either
a) Cut the black wire on the buckle and make the car think you are always belted in.
b) When you are wearing a harness you will have to put a switch on the black wire so you can turn the light off so the airbags operates safly rarther than thinking your not belted in when you are.

Depending upon which airbags/pretention are set off you will also need to change.

If the pretensioner is activated the seat belts and pretensioner units much be replaced
If the drivers airbag is activated the stearing wheel must be replaced.
If the passengers airbag is activated the corss member lining must be replaced.
If the side airbag id activated then the seat frame must be changed.
Also it is important to check:
The inhibitor key, the keys which switches of the passengers front airbag ie the one you put your key in which is on the passeners door (this should read 400Ohms when the switch is open and 100 Ohms when closed).
The seat position sensor reads 400 Ohms when the seat is upright and 100 Ohms when reclined

There is a common problem with Clios with the the SERV and AIRBAG lights come on it usually happened in the first few month but older cars out of the 3 yr warently have had the problem. Its due to the fact that the wires under the seat don't make a good conection and they can give a reading of a resitance over 4 Ohms when they do this it causes the warning light to come on. A simple short term fix is to fiddle with the wires under the seat and the problem will go away.
On the early cars the solution is to look under each of the seats. You will see a grey connector.
On the passenger side disconnect it and cut the Blue and Brown wires off both sides. Then solder the Blue wire to blue, and the Brown to the other brown. Make sure you use insulating sleeves over the soldered connections..
Under the driver seat there are two pairs of wires in the grey connector. Only cut the Blue and Brown wires and solder them together as above. Then reconnect the connector.
On the facelift cars it is ONLY the passenger side connector that is affected.. So again cut and solder the Blue and brown wires.
There is a Renault technical note out though and it will be done under warently if you car is affected.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Thank you :)

I will double check the resistors in my steering wheel haven't come loose but I am pretty sure they were fixed in well.

CTR--VX220D
Ed,

Where is the main bus connector that the airbag connections go into?

I.e. this:-

DSC00389.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/miles25/DSC00389.jpg

Mk2 Clio
Evening all,

The above is great but I was wondering if there is a real 'idiots' how to guide? i.e step by step pictures?

Thanks

Vee 6
I've just stripped out all the airbags and the airbag ECU in my track car.

Question...... does the airbag/service lamps reappear now the airbag ECU is no longer hooked up to the car if i clear it with a scan tool.

Not bothered about the airbag light, I can unsolder it from the board but would like the service light to go out and only come on when it's seen an engine fault.

Cheers

Clio 172 Cup
I have the same problem,

Car is ready for the track so buckets and harnesses added and air bag removed etc, but now airbag a serv light show.

Have tried a few of the suggested fixes with resistors, but I am no wiz with electrics.

I am concerned that with the serv light showing all the time, I will not know when there really is a problem with the car and do some damage.

Any one here know a good garage to do this for me in the Windsor, Maidenhead area ?

Or anyone on here who has fixed this successfully on their car and wants to be paid for the work ?

cheers

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
this is the steering wheel airbag, resistor is needed for both wires....green and yellow and then the same for orange and yellow
then wrap it all up in electric tape

b35c1758.jpg

RB 182
When you say an airbag has been activated, do you mean it has gone off or just the dash light activated? ie, the airbag would need to be replaced even if it hasn't gone off but the computer thinks it has?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks Austin

The resistors in the steering boss is ok.

It is just the elements under the seats that are more challenging.

Cheers

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I have changed my original Dynamique seats for the 182 seats and the airbag light is on because the connections are different....

I have some 3.3 Ohm resistors....I have the brown plugs like these below:

SL370103.jpg

Do you just put a resistor in this brown plug on pass & driver's side?

I've done this so many times and it hasn't worked, or are there any other plugs I need to put a resistor into?

clio 1.2 2004
Re. service and air bag lights, I have soldered the wires on the passenger side, on going to the driver side ,I have found that there are two sets of brown and blue wires plus two others! , any help please

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172
Thank you Edde, amazing thread, need this now, when the 2nd baby is coming and the airbag needs to go out.

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
Replaced drivers seat but limit switch for pretensioner broke off its base!! now serv light on and airbag! can you buy just the wiring loom and limit switch with clip for base of seat?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks Sean

R8, Clio172, 172cup
Did anyone ever solve the requirement to remove the ecu, airbags and pretensioners in a race / track car?

I am part way through a stripout and would really like a neat solution to remove the excess wiring and heavy modules / components. I will give the resistor fix a go (as I understand 3.3ohm are fine) but soldered to the wires back up at the ecu end, but is there is a simpler, neat fix (ie coding it out) that anyone has used. I would like the SERV light to function as usual apart from anything to do with airbags.