ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed - replacing motor for fuel flap release

Clio 1970000000
Hi

My fuel flap won't open. I have managed to pull the emergency release (thanks to Clio197.net) but it still gets stuck and it is time to change the motor. My question is how to do it?

To get to the emergency release, you need to take the inside trim from the boot on the side of the car where the filler is but it is all bodywork and although I could just squeeze my hand in there to lift the pin, I can't see it being easy to change the motor. Thinking about it, it might be possible to take the rear wheel arch liner out, but I don't know what is behind it and whether I can get to the motor from there.

Has anyone done this repair before and can help?

Thanks

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Simple job this - Remove the trim panel or, if you're brave bend it out the way enough to get your hand in. Then disconnect the multiplug before removing the clip that hold the motor assembly in place. After that you just wiggle it about and lift it clear.

Clio 1970000000
Nice one. Thanks for that. What are the chances that the clip will fall into the gap etc? Also do you pull the motor staight out or upwards, downwards etc?

Sorry for so many questions, I like to be prepared.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've never done one on a Clio III but its the same unit on the Megane CC - normally you pull them away from the direction of the lock bolt. Just mind the plastic locating tabs as they can sometimes prove to be a "See You Next Tuesday"

Mick

Clio 1970000000
Well I finally went to the breakers yard today and of the two mk3 clios they had, one had no rear end damage so I removed the motor and paid £10 instead of £45 inc vat from Renault. I also had an opportunity to learn how to dismantle a clio without caring what I did to it and you can’t put a price on that knowledge or the fun I had learning. I had already checked with Renault that the part was universal for all mk3 clios. The main difference is that as the 197/200 is a wide body, it makes the job a lot harder as the motor is recessed into the inside of the rear wing.

So how to do it? Firstly, if you look at the photos earlier in this thread, you can see that the inner white panel inside the car has been detached at the tailgate end and pulled back to make a gap to put your hand in. This is all you need to do to get access to the motor. There is no need to remove the panel completely and when practicing at the breakers (I did remove the entire white inner panel) I broke some of the clips. Most of this job you do by feel. This is the order to remove/replace the motor:

1) You need to pull out the white pin on the left side of the motor. I did this by having one hand in the gap on the pin and levering it out with a long flat head screwdriver. You should be able to see the white pin through the gap.

2) Once the pin is released, start to pull the motor out by pulling the unit at the left hand side where the pin is. The right hand side has a black guide that is parallel with the pin and in a recess. Once the motor is free on the left hand side, the rest is easy.

3) Pull the motor a couple of inches out of the recess and this will now give you access to detach the power connector. You have to pull the motor out first as the retaining clip that holds the power connector in place is on the back. Once the power connector is removed you can now pull the top of the motor out and then lift the motor upwards out of the recess. There is a 6 inch rod at the bottom so you will need to lift the motor out of the car.

4) With the motor removed, put your hand in the recess and feel along the bottom. You will feel a small hole on the right hand side. This is the hole that the pin must go into before you can push the motor back into the recess.

5) With the motor back in place, reconnect the power connector before fully pushing the motor back into the recess.

6) This is the most annoying bit. Making sure that you have the white pin pulled out, you need to ensure that the black guide is in the hole on the right hand side before you push the motor fully back into position.

7) With the motor back in place, push the white pin in to lock.

The entire job took me about 15 mins and a little bit of skin!!!!!!

I can post a picture of the motor if anyone wants but you shouldn't need it as once you have the replacement part in hand, it becomes obvious.